“Nice aquarium but pricey.”

National Aquarium, Baltimore
Ranked #4 of 226 things to do in Baltimore
More attraction details
Owner description: Considered one of the world's best aquariums, the National Aquarium's mission is to inspire conservation of the world's aquatic treasures. It champions environmental initiatives by engaging with visitors, volunteers, education groups and schools to actively participate in the preservation of the world's natural resources and living systems. The National Aquarium delivers meaningful experiences through its living collection of more than 17,000 animals from more than 750 species of fish, birds, amphibians, reptiles, marine mammals and sharks, as well as through exclusive behind-the-scenes experiences like sleepovers and tours, science-based education programs and hands-on experiences in the field.
New York City, New York
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Nice aquarium but pricey.”
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Went there on September 3, 2011 during the Grandprix week. We got tickets early in the morning for the 7pm slot. We had tickets to the grandprix and wanted to do something afterwards before dinner. Location is great since we had dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe. At night the place is pretty empty and very quiet. A/C was cranking and felt great after sitting in the sun all day. The exhibits were pretty spread out. I wish there was more for what we paid. The surprise was the rain forest on the top floor. I wasn't expecting it at an aquarium. It's dark at night even with the lights. Most of the birds were sleeping so we didn't get to see much. So if you want to see birds flying, I recommend going during the day. I think it's a nice facility and they do take care of the animals based on the filtration system which they are pretty proud of. So I will recommend going there.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Junction City, Kansas
“Aquarium over Prices and Crowded”
Reviewed September 26, 2011

The Inner Harbor is beautiful. If you plan to go to the aquarium it is very expensive. I didn't get to see what I wanted to because of all the people you couldn't get to the exhibits without having to be over bearing and rude to people. NOT FOR ME.
Other than that, great places to eat in the area and souvenir shops are right there, to take something back home with you.

Herndon, Virginia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“It was alright”
Reviewed September 25, 2011

I've recently been to the aquarium at Virginia Beach, and so I had a basis of comparison that's going to be different from most.

They of course had huge shark tanks, and such, but they didn't really have anything that was hands-on for visitors. I was a bit disappointed in that.

Jupiter
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“SHOULD YOU SHELL OUT 30 CLAMS FOR BALTIMORE'S NATIONAL AQUARIUM?”
Reviewed September 23, 2011

The less than happy truth is that you could shell out almost 30 clams per adult (Ok, it's $29.95 - a nickel less) & almost 25 per kid (ditto the 5 pennies) just to step inside the Baltimore National Aquarium. The question of the day - is it really worth sinking that much of your hard earned travel coin to float a ticket?

Sadly, I have to say, 'No'.

But IT IS well worth seeing if you spend a 'fin' less.

Let me explain.

You can save that 'fiver' by simply deep sixing the extra cost of the cheesy '4D' nature movie and submarining the so bad Dolphin Show that even Flipper should hang his dorsal in shame. (However, if you must spend time with our 'blow holed brothers' you can save the cash & still see the best aspect of this 'show' from a different (& better) vantage point - FOR FREE. I'll tell you later.)

Ok, after filleting those 2 dead in the water attractions, you can enjoy what BNA does probably better than anyone - teaching about everything on, under & around water while making learning it a hell of a lot of fun.

At Baltimore's tourist center, we were advised to spend 'about 3 hours' at the aquarium. Bad advice. We arrived at 11am and left a little after 5pm (only because we had another engagement or else they would have had to boot us out at closing). There's that much to see, learn and enjoy.

Whether you're into tropical fish, predators of the deep, rainforest snakes/birds or wondering why there's so many jellyfish on our beaches this past summer - this is the place.

Plus you'll get to see some crocs, sting rays, turtles, prehistoric lung fish and scores of other animals & habitats.

And if you really want to see Flipper's cousins, simply go to the free dolphin viewing area (a few steps away from the sub par 'D' show) & watch the entire production underwater. Believe me, it's much better, costs nothing & you'll be spared the inane, droning narration.

And in glorious silence, you can really enjoy the poetic motions of these beautiful animals.

Come to think of it, that alone might be worth the price of admission.

1 Thank Jack Yuken
Reading, Pennsylvania
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Kids loved it”
Reviewed September 23, 2011

My wife was kinda bored, but my kids and I loved seeing all the diferent marine life. At the start of our tour, my little one was scared to death to go where the charks were.