“Love this place”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Little Italy
“Love this place”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I love Rocco's. We're not natives of Baltimore and have only lived here for less than three years, but Rocco's is our goto place. We've been to other places in Little Italy but NOTHING compares. The stuffed veal ALWAYS tastes like a little slice of heaven. This is a great place to take a date.
The service here has always been excellent.
The decor is on par for all of Little Italy.
THE FOOD IS THE BEST.

• Visited September 2012

Scranton, Pennsylvania
“Had confirmed our reservation and then was closed”
Reviewed November 29, 2012

We don't live anywhere near Baltimore, not even in Maryland. But we like the city and are visiting it a few times a year. We have eaten in various restaurants in Little Italy, and so far we have never been disappointed. But there is always a first time for everything...

We have never eaten at Rocco's, so I can't say anything about the quality of their food. It might be marvelllous, but we will never know.

I had bought a Groupon for this restaurant and had made a reservation through their website. Within a few hours they replied via email and confirmed the reservation with these words:

"Thank you for making your reservation at Rocco's Capriccio. This email is a confirmation that your reservation has been accepted. If there are any problems we will contact you via email or telephone. We look forward to having you dine with us. Chef Rocco and family"

Notice that they didn't confirm time and date??? That should have alerted me right there and then, but I guess I was just too naive.

Our requested date was November 22, and it was for dinner at 7pm. Yes, that was Thanksgiving.

I would have expected to get a reply telling us they would be closed, or that the Groupon would not be accepted on holidays, or such, but no, they replied with the above quoted words. They have confirmed our reservation, but without the date and time.

We drove over 4 hours to get to Baltimore and checked into our hotel. Yes, we stayed in a hotel, and it was a nice one (The Monaco by Kimpton), so it wasn't cheap.

We were on time for our reservation, but the restaurant was dark and closed. In fact, all of Little Italy was closed and dark! Even the hotel's own restaurant had been closed that day!

We had to drive up and down the streets to find ANY place to eat, just any place that would be open. A modest Indian place came to our rescue with a red neon "open" sign in the window. Not fancy by far, but the food was decent and inexpensive.

But to be honest, we eat Indian at home all the time, I can make that myself pretty cheaply. We were in town for another NICE and OPPULENT FEAST in Little Italy, and that was nowhere to be found that evening in Baltimore. If it wasn't for the shabby Indian Restaurant, we would have gone hungry while everybody else was probably overeating at overloaded tables...

By the time we realized we would not find any nice place to eat that night, it was way too late to drive back home. And we had nothing prepared anyway, we had relied on the Restaurant we had booked for our dinner.

Meanwhile I have received my prepaid money back from Groupon. They are reliable, so at least I didn't lose the prepaid money. But still, the day was not planned out like this, and I am shocked that they take reservations for dates they are closed.

They could have sent another email telling us they are closed that day, or that they accidentally had accepted our reservation, as some trainee hadn't looked into the calender or whatever - but no, there was no second email. (Yes, I have checked my spam folder before travelling, I am always doing that!) This is a major blow.

And right now Rocco's is selling more Groupons again!

If you are not from the area and plan to stay overnight in Baltimore, better take care that your reservation confirmation from Rocco's states the date and time!!! But I guess that would still not be a guarantee that you will really eat there the night you reserverd for...

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank Hartmut N
“Heaven in Little Italy”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We took our neighbors to Rocco's last night and I can't say enough about how much we enjoyed ourselves. Everyone's food was superb. My fiance had the pork tenderloin special and it was honestly the most tender, delicious pork I've ever tasted. I had a filet mignon that melted in my mouth. The seafood Adriatica special my neighbor had came will about 1000 mussels and clams and other assorted yummies. He was ecstatic. Dessert was a little slice of heaven. I had the zabaglione which was out of this world. The service was spectacular and we loved the ambiance. Prices were quite reasonable for what we got. Will definitely go back for any kind of occasion.

• Visited October 2012
North Haven, CT
“Nice Find in Little Italy”
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I went to this restaurant based on the reviews I read here. My daughter goes to school in Baltimore so I am there at least twice each year.

Rocco's is an unassuming place in the Little Italy area of Baltimore. The building is old and there are lots of corners and stairs to get to your table. It added to the coziness of the building. It was decorated in what I have come to know as Italian decore. Most of my older aunts and uncles had the same styling.

The service was great. Our server was attentive but not overbearing and met all of our needs even when we spilled water or had special requests. The food was very good. I especially liked dipping my bread into the olive oil with spices in it. Delicious.

Given all of this I also have to say it is on the higher side of dinner price, so be prepared for the bill to add up.

All in all, a great meal. A nice stop in our otherwise working trip.

• Visited August 2012
Baltimore, Maryland
“Not quite good enough value”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Excellent service and pretty good food. I got the penne with smoked salmon and pink sauce: not very complicated (it tasted liked smoked salmon, and I couldn't really pick up any other flavors), but good.

We also got the special appetizer, a roasted vegetable antipasta plate that was very good.

Three stars instead of four because it's on the pricey side. We tried it out with Living Social, but I'm unlikely to return when I can go around the corner to Amicci's for a meal that's just as good but less expensive, or, if I do want to splurge on a fancy meal out, I can go two doors down to La Tavola, where the food will be excellent.

• Visited July 2012