Hilton Garden Inn Baltimore Inner Harbor
Ranked #14 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
Reviewed May 27, 2010

Call me a snob but I would never willingly stay at a Hilton hotel (my opinion). Alas, business commitments required me to stay here for two nights..... After having stayed at the Four Seasons in Washington and Miami on my vacation prior to arriving in Baltimore (excellent establishments), you may think I am writing this review with a biased judgement - Read on....

The member of staff who checked us in was not helpful in the slightest. We were forced to take our own bags to our room. When I asked if there was anyone to assist, there was no suger-coating the response: "Not here there isn't"!

Ok, so we grabbed our own luggage and made our way to the allocated room - Very small, tiny bathroom and a window that did not close properly. Couple this with stained pillows and bed sheets and you begin to see where this hotel is going.

I immediately called down to the "helpful" front desk to ask to change rooms but was informed there was no other availability until the morning. I used my own towel to cover the pillow!

The following day I informed the lady at the front desk and they agreed they would move me to a different room. Once I returned from my conference, I moved my bags to a room on the 12th floor.

Take Two - more spacious but still the same problems with the bed linen and pillows! Anyway, I thought it was only one more night. I dropped my bags and headed out for dinner and decided to stay out as late as possible. Upon my return however, I walked into the room to hear the sound of water coming from the bathroom. Knowing that there is no turn-down service at this hotel so it wasn't house-keeping leaving a tap running, I sensed a problem. When I opened the bathroom door the sight that greeted me was absolutely disgusting. An over-flowing toilet (which I had not even used!) and the bathroom floor covered! It makes me sick even as I type this review so I will not go into details!

I immediately called the front desk who sent up maintenance. He stopped the water and they would send someone to clean the mess. I calmly phoned front desk again and said there was no way I staying in that room again, even if it was cleaned up. So again, I changed rooms although by this time I was about to leave the building altogether and check-in at the Marriot even if it was coming out of my own pocket. My wife convinced me that it was only one more night.

We entered the new room and were given breakfast coupons by a member of staff (Conrad I believe) who was very pleasant and apologised. No amount of coupons were going to help me and I avoided breakfast and a nearby Starbucks. My wife went to grab some coffee but commented that the hygeine in the "restaurant" was terrible and soon joined me in Starbucks.

And there's my story of what will be the first and last time at the Hilton Garden Inn and any other Hilton for that matter. I would rather stay in a tent.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Kish_007
Write a ReviewReviews (1,131)

Reviewed May 25, 2010

This hotel was alright overall, but I've got a couple of complaints. For one, there didn't appear to be any valet parking when we pulled up. We had to park our car to the back of the building in the underground parking garage by ourselves, and then WALK all of our bags (between four of us, we had a TON!) all the way to the elevators and up...THEN, when we get to the 12th floor, we realized that our room number was not even on the sign, so we lugged ALL OF OUR bags ALL THE WAY back to the front desk, and the lady is just casually like "Oh, well that's because you're in the wrong elevator...you need to take that one over there." I mean, you think she could have told us that BEFORE we ventured all the way to the other side of the hotel with our bags?? It was very odd. Maybe all that was a fluke...but they just didn't seem all that concerned with being helpful in any way...and CERTAINLY not going above and beyond. Oh yeah, and the hotel parking spot clear at the other end of the hotel, ended up costing us $22 bucks for ONE night. Not a great deal if you ask me!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 5, 2010

Stayed at this establishment for nearly a week for meetings in town. Great location- close proximity to Camden, Harbor, etc. Besides the service, this is a decent hotel. From the front desk staff to the sales and catering staff, it was a huge disappointment overall. If you're looking for a sense of urgency or to be made to feel welcome, may want to try a different hotel (and after spending that much time in B-more, you may want to try a different city altogether). The bonuses were a spacious room, great amenities, and a wonderful workout facility (which was actually an independent club), which almost offset the treatment we received as a group at this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 3, 2010

Went to baltimore to see a couple of ballgames. We had stayed in this area before but not at the hilton. The hotel was very comfortable, quiet and the beds were amazing, cool crisp sheets and plenty of fresh towels. The MAC is located next door for a work out, and yes the pool is not always available but we didnt come here to use the pool. We did use the gym twice, it was big enough so we didnt have to wait for machines, even on the weekend and it was clean and modern. This location is far enough away from all the ballpark/ tourist noise yet close enoough to be convienent. LOVED the restaurant on the corner so much we ate there twice ( TALARA) the only dissapointment was breakfast., it wasnt bad but we liked the one offered at the OTHER hotel very nearby!!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 3, 2010

- The hotel is located a few minutes from the inner harbor, the building is split between a HGI and a Homewood, same staff.
-Check in was easy, the gentlemen at the front desk was allowed us to check in both our rooms earlier which doesn't always happen on a Sunday. Very friendly.
-Rooms were clean and modern, on the 8th floor is a nice garden that overlooks the city.
-Didn't spend much time at the hotel, so can't comment on it too much.
-Check out was okay the girls were not very approachable.
-Paying $24 to park was a little bit of a pain.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 29, 2010

Stayed here with my 8 year old son to take in an Orioles game. The location isn't right at what I would consider Inner Harbor (acquarium, convention center, ESPN Zone) but it's only a short 10 minute but very SAFE walk away. There is currently a free shuttle bus, the Charm City Circulator, that runs every 10-15 minutes past the hotel to Camden Yards, the convention center, Inner Harbor, etc... very convenient and clean. http://baltimore.org/transportation/charm-city-circulator

The hotel is new, clean, there's a Starbucks right next door and a Whole Foods behind it. The neighborhood is a newer upscale area, so safety is never a concern. The room was clean, roomy enough, and had any of the latest ammenities you'd like. The only drawback is that you use the fitness club next door and the pool closes pretty early (5:000 PM on Sundays). I'd stay here again without giving it a second thought.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 29, 2010

I was very impressed with the Hilton Garden Inn. I stayed two nights with friends for a bachelorette weekend in Baltimore. It's an easy walk to all of the attractions at the harbor - aquarium, Power Plant Live!, restaurants, shops, etc. There's a 24hr CVS on the same block and a Whole Foods one block away. So if you wanted to pick up some food for a casual lunch, you could easily do so. Another perk about the location is that it's right next door to Little Italy. There are a number of cafes and restaurants that you could easily walk to. I wish we had time to hop in one. And it's only a 15 minute walk or 2-3 minute drive from all of the attractions at Fells Point. It's a can't beat location.

As for the hotel, it's definitely newer, very clean and comfortable. The rooms felt a little tight, but it could be because we had 4 girls in a room. I didn't book the room or communicate with any of the hotel staff except for a woman who looked like a manager who was trying to help out with the broken ATM.

Overall, I've stayed in the hotels on the west side of the harbor before, but I would definitely go back to the Hilton Garden Inn again because of the can't beat location and the comfortable/clean rooms.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends