“Not a family friendly pool”

Hilton Garden Inn Baltimore Inner Harbor
Ranked #12 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
Reviewed February 21, 2012

Here are the pros and cons:

Pros: Convenient to harbor amenities, James Joyce Pub (excellent food) across the street, ice cream and movies next door, shopping one block behind. Clean bathroom with large shower area. Nice restaurant for breakfast inside. Housekeeping was prompt when called. Staff helpful. Valet parking.

Cons: Lost water for the day (not their fault) because of a city main break, vent popped out of wall, carpet very worn in areas, beds average comfortability, vanity in bathroom is small--broke a glass that fell off when I tried to pull a towel down from rack. Not a lot of area to sit toiletries in bathroom--in fact, dryer hanging from bag on door! Lots of wasted space here. Not family friendly pool--this is a spa that everyone in the city uses--hotel guests are treated as second citizens--in fact my family was told they probably didn't have space. They make you walk past all of the exercisers to a small pool area for families and a large lap area for exercisers. It felt like the walk of shame.

Room Tip: Rooms in 500 hall had view of a parking garage and condos.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Brenda B
Write a ReviewReviews (1,145)

Reviewed February 21, 2012

Recently stayed at this hotel because of my wife's having surgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital. The greeting was friendly, the room was clean and comfortable. I had a complimentary breakfast which was complete and of average quality. Parking is valet and costly, but equal to all other hotels in this Inner Harbor area. Several very good albeit expensive restaurants within walking distance. I'm an enthusiast of harbor environments, and Baltimore's Inner Harbor is among the best. This hotel is a moderate cost but good quality alternative to the much more expensive hotels in the area.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Rpate
Reviewed February 20, 2012

This is a great hotel. It's clean, the location is unbeatable, and the room we had was huge with a great view of some of the Harbor. You can walk everywhere. This was a treat for us, because although we live in Baltimore, we decided to make a little vacation out of it, stay downtown, eat at our favorite Italian restaurant, and enjoy walking around.

The front desk personnel at check weren't the most friendly. There were two lines--one for HGI and one for Homewood Suites--however, I saw a sign for Hilton Honors members and walked up to the desk, not realizing that the sign was on both sides for both hotels. I walked up, said I had a reservation for HGI and was told I was in the wrong line. I pointed to the sign for Honors and he said, "yes, it's for Honors members." I told him I that I was a member and he said curtly, "well, it will take me some time, but I can probably log in to the HGI system." I stepped back into the other line.

The bed was nice; however, in the middle of the night I woke up and it felt like I was sleeping in a bathtub. The adjustable firmness was not firm at all, so my husband switched with me and we tossed and turned. At check out, when asked if everything was okay, I told her that it wasn't. The mattress was on one side was not firm, even though we had adjusted the dial to as firm as it could go, and that we felt like we were sleeping in a bathtub. She told me that she wished she could do something, like a free dinner or breakfast, but "the bill had already gone through." I didn't know what that meant and I didn't feel like arguing, so I will wait for my Hilton Honors survey.

Please keep in mind that this was just a fluke with the bed. Had I noticed it earlier and not in the middle of the night, I gladly would have called the front desk to be moved. However, i wasn't going to do that at 2:00am, pack up, and change rooms. I would stay here again, but I would check the mattress first to make sure that it's firm.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank raeumlich
Delens, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Baltimore Inner Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2012

Thank you for taking a minute to share the details of your experience at the hotel and I am very sorry that it did not exceed your expectations! Our HHonors guests are very important and I am sorry for the response you received from the Guest Service agent regarding the slow computer. The computer glitches are never a reason for a response to a guest! I appreciate you letting us know about the Garden Sleep system bed and not adjusting properly. I imagine that would make for an uncomfortable evening, as well. I am sorry I could not assist you when you were here and please do not hesitate to contact me so I can absolutely make it right for you. Again, thank you for letting us know and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed February 17, 2012

This hotel is actually the same building as the Homewood Suites. I saw a room there as well an they were large and nice.

My room in the HGI was nice with floor to cieling windows, nice work area, and all amenities you would expect from an HGI.

Although the room is large, the hallway was tight because the closet and bathroom were in the hallway across from each other, and the closet was more of a stand up closet set into a cut out area.

Nice breakfast area, business center, and lounge.

Hotel is very close to some nice bars and reataurants and also Fells Point area, that offers even more great bars and restaurants. It's a $4 taxi ride to Fells point if you don't want to walk it.

Valet Parking at the hotel is very expensive, but I suppose this is on par with parking in downtown Baltimore.

As mentioned, I'll stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed January 17, 2012

We frequently stay at the HGI Inner Harbor or the Homewood Suites (same building, on the other side). Each time, the experience is a great one! Rooms are newer, clean and comfortable. The hotel also provides access to the MAC gym which is connected to the hotel. This is a HUGE gym with all kinds of equipment and classes. A real plus at no extra cost...just bring your own headphones.

The hotel location is great. Walking distance to the Inner Harbor, Little Italy, and Fell's Point. It's also very safe. Try the James Joyce Irish pub across the street for their Guiness mussels and Fleming's for an excellent steak dinner and extensive wine list.

Prices for the hotel are also very reasonable considering the location and facilties. The Homewood Suites Hotel has larger rooms, but we generally just pick whichever of the 2 hotels happens to be less expensive for that date. Also, valet parking is available, but pricey. There is self parking a few blocks away on Caroline street at a much better flat rate. 805 S. Caroline St.

Room Tip: Rooms on the end of the building have large windows on both sides for a great view.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Delens, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Baltimore Inner Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2012

Thank you for taking a minute to share the details of our visit to the Hilton Garden Inn Baltimore Inner Harbor. I am pleased that you enjoyed the Harbor East neighborhood so much and it's proximity to Little Italy and Inner Harbor. The guest rooms in the hotel are all just slightly different and not your typical hotel lay-out, This absolutely does afford for different window size and views!

Again, thank you and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed January 16, 2012

This hotel is in a great location, and very clean. The staff is super friendly! Only a few minutes walking to Little Italy - so many amazing restaurants - and a a short distance walking to Fells Point. We are looking forward to another stay soon in this great town, at this great hotel!

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed January 7, 2012

This is a very unique HGI and a cut above the rest. Beautiful interior, big, newly refurbished rooms, decent flat screen TV, big shower stall and great bed. Check in/out experience is really good, friendly, helpful staff. Most importantly it is walking distance to several good bars including the Irish Tavern across the street. Hotel is very clean and quiet too. A great place to stay in the inner harbor. Also a MAC fitness is attached to the hotel and a great brazilian restaurant. I usually can't give 5 stars to Hilton Hotels, but this one is an exception. FYI, I didn't park a car but it looked like valet only.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Delens, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Baltimore Inner Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience while visiting us in Baltimore. I am pleased you had such a nice time. The Harbor East neighborhood is full of interesting restaurants and shopping; from Whole Foods to Arhaus Furniture to Cinghiale! It sounds like you had a great time exploring some of the others. In addition, we are pleased to offer both self-parking attached to the hotel as well as valet parking with "in and out" priviliges. Again, thank you for taking the time to share the details of your experience and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Garden Inn Baltimore Inner Harbor.