“Way,way above average”

Hilton Garden Inn Baltimore Inner Harbor
Ranked #12 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
Reviewed January 7, 2012

This is a very unique HGI and a cut above the rest. Beautiful interior, big, newly refurbished rooms, decent flat screen TV, big shower stall and great bed. Check in/out experience is really good, friendly, helpful staff. Most importantly it is walking distance to several good bars including the Irish Tavern across the street. Hotel is very clean and quiet too. A great place to stay in the inner harbor. Also a MAC fitness is attached to the hotel and a great brazilian restaurant. I usually can't give 5 stars to Hilton Hotels, but this one is an exception. FYI, I didn't park a car but it looked like valet only.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Delens, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Baltimore Inner Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience while visiting us in Baltimore. I am pleased you had such a nice time. The Harbor East neighborhood is full of interesting restaurants and shopping; from Whole Foods to Arhaus Furniture to Cinghiale! It sounds like you had a great time exploring some of the others. In addition, we are pleased to offer both self-parking attached to the hotel as well as valet parking with "in and out" priviliges. Again, thank you for taking the time to share the details of your experience and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Garden Inn Baltimore Inner Harbor.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,139)

Reviewed November 24, 2011

Property is located in a very desirable area of town. Rooms are neat and show no signs of wear. For the location near the Baltimore Harbor, room prices are great.

Reviewed November 22, 2011

This hotel is in a perfect location in the trendy Harbor East area with the harbor a couple blocks away and a wide range of shops of restaurants right outside the door. The hotel has nice, clean, contemporary decor. The rooms are a VERY tight squeeze though so if you value alot of floor space it's not so great. I certainly would have appreciated more room to move around. Attached is a FULL SERVICE fitness center that you can enter directly from the hotel and use for free while staying. Let me say, this fitness center is the real deal; you won't be disappointed. The hours are the downside - opens at 5:30am but closes at 10pm. That's just too early. They need to stay open until at least 11pm, if not midnight these days. The biggest weakness is the valet service. Both days, we had MAJOR PROBLEMS retrieving our car. Both times, we called down to front desk 20 min ahead of time but no car was there when we got down and we had to wait another 20min the 1st day and 10min the 2nd day (after complaining since we were checking out and heading for flight) to get car. Appears to be a combination of poor communications process, weak training, and lackluster employees. So just be warned; you'll likely wait quite awhile to get your car here. Looks like others there were having similar experiences.

Reviewed November 20, 2011

This hotel seems to be ideally located. I was here on business so I didn't get to explore as much as I would have liked. There is a Starbucks directly below so I was able to get my morning coffee quite easily (they did have in room coffee but who can resist Starbucks?). The meeting room was VERY nice and service was excellent. I look forward to visiting again when I'm in Baltimore.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Delens, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Baltimore Inner Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2011

Thank you very much for taking a minute to share your experience while staying at the Hilton Garden Inn Baltimore. The Harbor East neighborhood is vibrant with shopping and restaurants appealing to many of our travelers. I hope you have some time to enjoy the neighborhood when you next return.

Reviewed November 15, 2011

This hotel was ideally located to a number of prominent local landmarks and the staff were gracious to allow me an early check-in. The room was well appointed with a great view of Oriole Park at Camden Yards. There was a nicely-sized desk and work area. Their green program was nice to see. The discounted cost of internet access for conference attendees was appreciated.

The doormen were particularly helpful recommending local restaurants and places to visit.

An overall pleasant experience.

Reviewed November 14, 2011

We had a long weekend on Veterans day and decided to visit Baltimore. We shave had good luck with the Hilton Garden before and decided to try it again. We had a nice room with a view of the Harbor. There is a Starbucks right below the hotel. Always a nice stop prior to setting out or coming back from a day of sightseeing. The hotel itself was great. We arrived very early but they were nice enough to let us check in (around 9AM). The hotel is in the East Harbor which means you have about a 5 minute walk to the major harbor shopping and the aquarium. However it is right next to little Italy which we had a great number of excellent restaurants. I also highly recommend Miss Shirleys Cafe for breakfast (about a 3 minute walk). The staff was very kind and overall this was a great experience!

Room Tip: Ice machines and vending are loud. Avoid these.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Delens, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Baltimore Inner Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2011

Thank you for sharing the details of your visit and I am thrilled that you were able to enjoy the complete Hilton Garden Inn Baltimore Inner Harbor experience. Our location is central to Inner Harbor, Fells Point and Little Italy with it's location in Harbor East. I am pleased that the hotel team was able to accommodate you with your early arrival.
I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Baltimore.

Reviewed November 14, 2011

I almost hate writing this review because the staff was great (for the most part). However, when management makes such bad decisions then I have to tell others.

CHECK-IN/FRONT DESK: The Homewood Suites and Garden Inn share a front desk. No biggie, I've seen this before, especially in urban core areas. HOWEVER, there were usually only two people working the front desk. TWO PEOPLE FOR TWO FULL SIZE HOTELS. Those ladies still managed to keep a smile on their face even when they had a long line of worn out and angry guests.

RESERVATIONS: We had booked a room at the Homewood with two doubles and a fold out so our family of five could fit comfortably. However, management had overbooked the hotel so our room was not available when we checked in around 6pm. So they moved us to two side by side rooms (not adjoining) in the Garden Inn. Ok, not a big deal. It WOULD HAVE been a big deal if we had brought food to cook for dinner in the Homewood like we had originally planned. (but we didn't, so I won't complain) BUT then, they made us move the next night (we were only there two nights) to a Homewood Suites. Once again, this SHOULDN'T have been a big deal. I did book a room in the Homewood and not 2 in the Garden Inn. HOWEVER, because there were never more than two people at the front desk, this meant I had to wait 30 minutes to check out and get our luggage stored in the morning and then another 30 minutes to check in and get our luggage into our room new room that evening.

ROOMS: Yes, there were issues with the rooms. Several guests, including ourselves, didn't have hot (it wasn't cold-but to call it warm was a stretch) water in the Garden Inn. Then, when we moved to the Homewood the ceiling fan was literally falling down. When I called to the front desk they did send someone up (30 minutes later) and the maintence guy started looking at it to see if he could put it back in and it fell on him! (Luckily he wasn't hurt-he was so disturbed by the whole event that he left all his gear in our room-including an uncovered knife and needle nose pliers-luckily he called us 30 minutes later to tell us before one of our kids found them!

(Ok, these are minor things that I don't usually care about-but given everything else they just added to the frustration)

PHONES: Our cells had poor service in the building so we decided to order out for pizza. I checked the phone info sheet-no mention of charges-and dialed several local numbers. The third call finally went through. Later that night I had to make another call to the same delivery place. The next morning I had charges for four phone calls! Even if the call didn't go through (when I say didn't go through I mean fast busy or the call cannot be completed as dialed) they still charged us. (the nice overworked front desk staff-who knew me by name now-quickly removed the charges)

POOL: Once again, normally not a big deal-but with everything else it was just icing on the cake. First, the pool is part of MAC, an fitness center, no biggie, usually. But, the first night it was closed for a staff party and no one told the hotel. Then both mornings it was closed for swim lessons. So, we planned to take the kids to the pool-which had been raved about by a porter and the concierge as having a great kids area and even a slide(I thought this was odd since it was part of an urban fitness club but, hey, maybe they also cater to the families in nearby Little Italy?) So we make the trek down from our upper level room across both hotels to the MAC, I go to sign in and the nice lady at the desk says, "Oh, you can't come in here-you don't have shoes on." Yes, you need shoes for the pool. So, the three kids and I trek back up to the hotel and come back down-this time with shoes-and make our way to the wonderful kids pool. Only to discover that it's nothing but a standard size urban inside hotel pool. Still, it's November and we have a good time. That is, until my two oldest (7th and 4th grade) decide they want to swim some laps while I play with the youngest in the pool. There were several open lanes and I explain lap etiquette and they have themselves a good ol time seeing who could swim faster or longer-the whole time being very respectful and quiet. Until they get kicked out because kids aren't allowed to swim in the lap pool.

VALET: I don't use valet so, once again, not something I would usually comment on but since it arose, here it goes. There were maybe three guys working valet (4 on the night I checked in) and they always were running. I figured they were hustleing to be good employees. No, they were hustleing because there weren't enough people working-this happened every day. In my long time at the front desk (I easily spent an hour and a half over two nights at the front desk) I heard countless people getting their valet charges credited because they were waiting 45mins+ for their car. The valet parking garage is attached to the hotel. Need I say more?

In summary, these hotels are staffed with friendly (if slightly uninformed people) that are doing the best the can with poor management overseeing them.

Would I go back? NEVER

Do I hope all the nice employees find a better place to work? YES!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank MrDavidSmith

Thank you for taking a minute to share feedback regarding your visit to Baltimore and I am sorry that we did not exceed your expectations. While I am pleased that we were able to accommodate you with sleeping rooms, it is absolutely not our intent to inconvenience you in such a fashion at all. I have forwarded your comments to the management team and the Fitness Center so the details you shared are used for process improvements.