“A good place if you like old buildings”
Review of The Hotel Limpia

The Hotel Limpia
Ranked #4 of 7 Fort Davis B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

I like old charm. Felt comfortable here. Stayed in the old, main building upstairs. Squeaky floors. Wish the ceiling fan had more than one speed. Nicely central location. Not cheap, though.
The black cat with white paws ("Tuxedo") adds a comfortable, home feel

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank horseshrink
There are newer reviews for The Hotel Limpia

Reviewed September 12, 2013

In September, we sent two night at the Hotel Limpia. It was wonderful. The room were large with an old fashion feel. It was peaceful and friendly. The price was also very nice. We spent some of our time on the balcony, rocking in the chairs and watching the locals in their daily lives.The folks at Ft. Davis were pleasant and helpful with our needs. We would stay there again.
The Barclays, from Mansfield, TX

Room Tip: We traveled with our friends and we stayed in rooms 20 & 21. These rooms were next to the upstai...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Barclays0910
Reviewed August 29, 2013

OK hotel but run down and not taken care of. We were advised to make a reservation at the Bistro nest to the Hotel and run by the Hotel Owner. We arrived fifteen minutes early, and our table was not ready for 45 minutes after our appointed time. The Matre D was rude and unorganized. With in minutes of being seated the Manager/Matre D had words with a man at another table. He brought him his salad a few minutes later and slammed it down on the table. My adult daughter commented that she thought he was on drugs. Our food arrived cold and bland, we were not surprised. My advise from cocktails, appetizers to food stay away.

Room Tip: Hotel is not as it looks in the pictures. Do not eat at the attached Bistro.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Debrah F
Reviewed August 7, 2013

First, we have stayed at the Limpia many times. This was our first time staying across the street at the Limpia West. The rooms are basic as they should be, but they are very very dated. Bathroom vinyl was dingy and torn and just in bad shape. AC worked great! Overall, the price for the room was great. I assumed that when the new owners closed the hotel for some remodeling, there would be some signs of remodeling. There were no signs. While that is actually positive in many ways for a historic hotel, even old hotels needs signs of renovation.

The wifi worked great which was also a huge plus for being in remote West Texas.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ricker10
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Pros:
Good location in Fort Davis, ideal for Mc Donald Observatory and other daytrips.
Pleasant public spaces, with rocking chairs on the porch, lounges, etc.
Large bedrooms
Comfortable bed
Plentiful towels
Tuxedo the cat and Charlie the dog

Cons:
Room smelled really bad, like there was a sewer leak or something. Room had a couple of air fresheners to try to mask odor, but they didn't work. My nose got used to it after 24 hours. Hotel was full, so I knew there was no point in asking for a different room. This is something the owners should remedy. I know an old, historic place is a challenge to maintain, but this seems like it should be a priority. Note, this was in Limpia West (property covers multiple buildings).
TV really tiny and set low. A tv that size would be better set on the dresser or up higher. The small size wasn't a big deal for us (we found it amusing), but if you are a tv fanatic, it might annoy you.
Nobody was around at the front desk when we arrived in the mid afternoon and nobody answered the phone.
Airconditioner periodically emitted weird whining noise.
Carpet has numerous stains and needs to be replaced.
Wall of bathroom behind door had some stains that looked like they could be removed with a cleaning product such as "Fantastik."

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Travelsgirl93
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We (myself and parents) came here for my father's birthday to get away from the Permian Basin area for a couple of days. We chose this hotel after looking at the TripAdvisor reviews because the most of the few complaints people seemed to have in their reviews were either surface things that could easily have been fixed, or beyond the control of the management due to weather, other travelers, and the location of the town, which is far away from everywhere in the mountains.

We stayed in Suite 11, in the Orchard Addition (I think it's called?). This was a 2-bedroom, 2-bathroom suite with a large full kitchen and small living area, as well as a covered parking spot. If you want the suites facing the back, request the odd-numbered ones in the orchard building. The even numbered ones face the main hotel and Limpia Street, and don't have covered parking if I recall correctly. From what I could tell, the suites aren't identical, so my info is just for Suite 11.

The bedrooms were huge, with beautiful hardwood floors and large windows which overlooked the apple trees and the pool. The "master" in this suite featured a king-sized four-poster bed, which was nice. The bathrooms both featured huge claw-foot tubs with the shower attachment with the little curtain that goes all around the tub like in the old movies, which is my favorite kind of tub ever, and my bathroom had an antique button light switch, which I've never seen before but loved. (note: with the older tubs like this, the bottom is not flat, and the sides are high, so be careful getting in and out.)

The kitchen came with a complete set of cookware, dishes, and silverware, a dishwasher, fridge, and microwave.

The pool: I didn't get to use it because of the weather, but it was very beautiful and had great views of the surrounding mountains. I *did* notice that, as one reviewer noted, the fence could have been opened from the outside, but we didn't see any locals using the pool, and this is quite an easy fix with just a piece of wood and some nails.

That's about it for the specifics of this suite. Overall, I loved the hotel and the ambiance. I love historic buildings, and for me the very few inconveniences were well worth staying in a place with such charm. It was so peaceful here. I spent some time on the porch in the main hotel building, and it was just relaxing. The flowers and gardens were beyond beautiful, and the summer rains just added to the atmosphere.

After meeting the owner in the gift shop on the way out of town, I can see that the owners have poured so much of their lives and hearts into this property, and it shows. It's not an impersonal chain-run hotel where the staff has their hands tied by corporate red tape; it's a very personal, small-town, flexible place.

I was also impressed that they let us check in 2 hours early. We had a mishap on the way there, and needed to shower and relax, and there was no problem with the check-in time.

I will stay here again and recommend this place highly to anyone looking to stay in Fort Davis.

Room Tip: An odd-numbered suite in the Orchard House will get you away from the traffic/main street and across...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Barb093
Reviewed July 18, 2013

This is our second stay at the Limpia Hotel. It is located on the main street of this historic and quaint frontier town in west Texas. This is a historic hotel so the rooms are old but well maintained. We stayed in suite #34 which was quite roomy with a fairly large bathroom, canopy bed and kitchenette with a fridge and microwave. The electrical wiring is old and we brought a power strip to plug in phone chargers, computers, etc. Comfortable rocking chairs around the property for enjoying a beverage and doing some people watching. The restaurant/bar are wonderful and popular so reservations are recommended. We have had several meals there and enjoy their great food. In the bar area we have met some most interesting people that are now our friends. Big Bend National Park is not too far a drive. Also,, the gorgeous Davis Mountains are a nice excursion. We plan to return again and again.

• Stayed: July 2013
Hampton Inn Alpine
Hampton Inn Alpine
#2 of 13 in Alpine
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Alpine Southeast

Been to The Hotel Limpia? Share your experiences!