“Just in time”
Review of Star Date Cafe

Star Date Cafe
Ranked #9 of 21 Restaurants in Fort Davis
Cuisines: American
Description: The StarDate Cafe, in the Frank N. Bash Visitors Center, offers a selection of hot and cold sandwiches, quesadillas, tacos, hot dogs, chili, soft drinks (coffee, sodas, juice drinks, tea, etc), as well as various snacks. For a menu of current selections, please go to our web-page.
Reviewed August 9, 2014

We were barely able to get there before 10 PM and needed to eat. With the cafes till open we had some of their sandwiches. Chicken was excellent and my wife had a Marathon Stacker. they were delicious and filling!

Reviewed July 18, 2014

McDonald Observatory guest area is new, clean, and the Star Date Café was a nice surprise - excellent food!!

Reviewed June 27, 2014

We ate here before the Star Party, hungry and hoping for better food than we received. I ordered the chipotle chicken sandwich, which was so drenched with mayo I got messy while scraping it off. (Not an easy feat outdoors with napkins blowing in the wind). It was a measly portion with bagged Doritos, Cheetos, or Lays considered a side. My husband said his barbecue sandwich was ok. Both of us had upset stomachs the next morning. Not a good choice.

Jmir1977, Manager at Star Date Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2014

Hi Meg Lynne,

I do apologize for you not so good experience with the Cafe but I am a little confused. The items you mentioned during your visit have never been a part of the menu. We have never had a Chipotle Chicken Sandwich nor a BBQ Sandwich. We do have Chicken Club and a Bistro Brisket Sandwich that we have had oh so many compliments on. All of our sandwiches are portioned appropriately for their prices and with a little research you will see that the surrounding cities and restaurants that we have equal quality for a lessor price.

Again, I do apologize for your experience here. We do hope you come and visit the Observatory again.

Reviewed June 24, 2014

If you are at the McDonald Observatory, this is the only place to eat. Nothing gluten free (get with it, UT), ran out of ice cream, everything expensive, guy behind the counter was as bland as a saltine. If you are there, you are trapped to eat here.

Hi Overin,

I do apologize for you experience here with the Cafe. We are a very small Cafe and have limited capacity to hold many items but we do the best we can with what we have with the thousands of customers we get a week.

All of our items can be made gluten free. With your experience in your diet, I am sure you were aware that all of our gourmet sandwiches could be made without the bread. All of our spreads and sauces as well as our proteins are made in house so I can tell you that all of those products are gluten free.

Our staff are trained in customer service with a smile to give our patrons the most welcome feeling we can. We will do our best to teach them more entertaining qualities so they are not "as bland as a saltine." I hope this helps ease your feelings about the Cafe and hope you'll visit us soon again.

Reviewed June 20, 2014

We visited the observatory for a star party and stopped to have dinner at the cafe first. We tried the smoked brisket quesadilla and found it very good. A must try when at the observatory.