“Yummmmmm Hamburger Amazing”

Fort Davis Drug Store & Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Dessert in Fort Davis
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: The Fort Davis Drug Store and Hotel is an iconic business in the heart of Fort Davis, TX. It features the original Soda Fountain and Ice Cream plus Sweet Shop and Restaurant, Gift Shop and Hotel. People tell us all the time it is the very heartbeat of our community. The Historic Hotel has 6 spacious rooms with private baths in each room. Two beds in every room.
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I had the hamburger -- onion rings -- and lemonade -- could barely walk afterwards. The ice cream and fudge looked as yummy but there was no way my tummy would hold more. Gotta revisit this wonderful place.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

We had a group of 10 people on a Saturday night with reservations. We were seated fairly promptly even though the place was really busy. OUr orders were taken quickly and efficiently. The problem with the service developed as the food was arriving. Several of us got our food, but then the rest of the food came out very slowly one or two items at a time. The big problem was we had a three year old who ordered a corn dog. When you have a youngster most places try to get that order to the child quickly. In this case it was the lasst to arrive at the table and the child was very restless by that time. My daughters chicken fried chicken was too tough to even chew. Most others gave an average to above on their food. Overall I think our large group may have overwhelmed them.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

The friends I traveled with insisted we eat at the "Fort Davis drug store". I took this to mean an old-fashioned drug store with a counter and grill, a place with an actual pharmacist that happens to share the space with a grill. When we arrived, there was a wait, and it was clearly a friendly place for tourists to overspend on a hot meal. Not that that isn't sometimes what a vacation away from home is about, but I wasn't expecting it. They do sell over the counter drug store type items (aspirin?) behind the counter and there is a soda fountain and ice cream in addition to sit down/wait on you tables. Also, a small area selling souvenirs, and an upstairs "gallery" (didn't look at this so no idea).
The entire block or 2 appears to be related to the Limpia Hotel. I didn't look into it but we did wander around afterwards and noticed the name attached to other places. But, I digress.

We had a party of 7 including 3 kids aged, 10-16. Everyone enjoyed their meals which ranged from hamburgers, chicken fried chicken sandwich, chicken salad. Our waitress was attentive and when one of our orders was "stolen" from another server (she special of the day), she made sure to provide each of us with a free dessert-our choice.

So, I can't say anything bad about the place. The food is good, the atmosphere festive, but I would prefer not an entirely tourist place-no big deal. Not a bad place to go after teh McDonald observatory tour.

Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

This is a cute, even touristy place with excellent service and food. With a gift shop right inside the door, and wait staff in costume, I worried at first that the place may be all hat and no cattle.

But I enjoyed an awesome breakfast! The bacon was very good (not too greasy), the eggs were cooked properly (and were not powdered) and the pancakes tasted great (good syrup). I will plan a breakfast stop here everytime Im in Fort Davis.

1  Thank TheRoss1
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We have been visiting Fort Davis for 14 years now. Until this past week, we always brought our own food iced down in our ice chests or purchased it at the grocery store. We decided we would take a chance on the town's fare this time. The Drug Store always smelled great so in we went. Our waitress started out attentive; however, we saw little of her after that. When our order finally came after a long wait, part of the order was incorrect, but we decided to keep it since it took so long to get the original order we didn't think it would be worth it to point out the mistake. We ordered two steak fingers and a chicken fried steak meal. The grease used to fry the meat tasted old. The steak fingers were burned on the ends. The only positive was that the breading easily fell off the meat and the meat didn't taste too bad without the breading. The atmosphere was great, yes, but it can't make up for the fact that the food was mediocre at best and the wait staff spent a lot of time visiting with each other instead of checking on their customers. Perhaps we were there on an off day, but we won't be dining there again. On a brighter note, the fudge purchased at checkout was good.