“Great relief!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Fort Davis Drug Store & Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Dessert in Fort Davis
Cuisines: American
Good for: Dining on a budget, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Seating, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Fort Davis Drug Store and Hotel is an iconic business in the heart of Fort Davis, TX. It features the original Soda Fountain and Ice Cream plus Sweet Shop and Restaurant, Gift Shop and Hotel. People tell us all the time it is the very heartbeat of our community. The Historic Hotel has 6 spacious rooms with private baths in each room. Two beds in every room.
“Great relief!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

So, my family had no idea where to eat when we were in Fort Davis. We stopped at a truck food stand "Lupitas" and asked where we could get a good sit down meal. She recommended The Drug Store. The breakfast was big and reasonably priced. We went back for dinner. I had the grilled chicken salad (big and tasty), my daughter had the chef salad (big and tasty), my son had the hot dog (ok, it's a hot dog), and my hubby had the cheeseburger (big and ok). The atmosphere and service was friendly and pleading. We went the next day for ice cream. I recommend the vanilla milk shake. Be advised it gets busy at regular meal times do go an hour before lunch or dinner time. Total cost for a family of 4 for dinner: just over $50. For breakfast: just over $30. Although I loved it, I am still looking for something less expensive. Our next review will be for the Market.

Midland, Texas, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

Great food, service and small town atmosphere! We had chicken fried chicken and hamburger - both excellent! The shakes are awesome!

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Jimmy D
Texas
“Good food and unique ambience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

Based on reviews on Trip Advisor we ate lunch at the drug store. The hamburgers were good but the chicken sandwich was just fair. The ice cream sundaes were good but not the best I've had. Nice place to eat lunch.

Visited March 2013
San Antonio, Texas
“The Last Picture Show”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

If you have seen any movies that picture a small town where the center of activity is the malt shop, where teens come to worf down malts and burgers while carrying on 3 different conversations simultaneously with their not so closely co-located friends, you begin to get an idea of the frenetic activity and cacophony that embodies this place at lunch time on a school day. Kids from just down the street at the local temple of education swarm this place during lunch and for good reason. The burgers are juicy, the fries are hot and crispy and the malts are freezing cold. The draw is magnetic. At least is was for me.
I think the only difference between this and the 1950s city version of this vignette is that in this West Texas town, instead of cruising up on motorcycles or hot rods, these kids either walk, ride a bicycle, or even show up on a caballo now and then. Nothing else like it in town for a west Texas Back-to-the-Future moment. To put in my own Texas vernacular, "I enjoyed the hell out of it and will certainly do it again next visit."

• Visited February 2013
Andrews, Texas
“Above and Beyond”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

We had the pleasure of visiting Ft Davis and surrounding area again this past weekend. We were able to introduce the in-laws to The Famous Ft. Davis Drug Store. As usual, the staff were friendly and fast while the food was delicious. We had an AWESOME breakfast Saturday morning then had to go back for the biggest and best banana split you will ever eat. We left Sunday but not before stopping in for some ice cream for the road. Cliff went "Above and Beyond" making sure that we were all happy and satisfied with our choices. The Drug Store is a popular place for me any my buddies to stop and eat while riding our motorcycles in the area. If you are in the area, I would recommend you stopping by and having a great meal in a laid back atmosphere.

• Visited March 2013