“Overpriced and Understaffed!”

Fort Davis Drug Store & Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Dessert in Fort Davis
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: The Fort Davis Drug Store and Hotel is an iconic business in the heart of Fort Davis, TX. It features the original Soda Fountain and Ice Cream plus Sweet Shop and Restaurant, Gift Shop and Hotel. People tell us all the time it is the very heartbeat of our community. The Historic Hotel has 6 spacious rooms with private baths in each room. Two beds in every room.
San Antonio, TX
“Overpriced and Understaffed!”
Reviewed September 6, 2011

This place has lots of business because of the location. If you want ice cream or a quick hamburger then this place is not bad. If you want anything else expect to wait, and wait, and wait! We went with a large group for dinner and had to wait for more than an hour and a half to get our meal. It was over cooked and not really even hot. Service was lacking and the waiter was overwhelmed taking orders. Try Murphy's Pizzeria instead if you want good food.

• Visited September 2011

Houston, Texas
“OLD TIME DRUG STORE”
Reviewed August 24, 2011

We recently spent three days in Ft. Davis.
We had lunch and breakfast at the Drug Store.
It is right next door to the Harvard Hotel on Main Street.
Food is very good. Large portions! Good value.
Friendly service.

• Visited August 2011
El Paso, Texas
“Super satisfying real food”
Reviewed July 25, 2011

I had nearly given up all hope on my Trans-Texas Bicycle Odyssey my 3rd day out when fantastic Border Patrol Agents Lilly & Jay resupplied me with fresh clean drinking water (absolutely essential wherever you are!) and I was able to continue pedaling. Instead of bucking a horrible headwind to Marfa, I took alternate routes 505/166/17 into historic Ft. Davis. This thriving community serves tourists as well as a local ranching/farming population. One of the highlights for me was satisfying my perpetually empty stomach at the Drug Store, within the Dumas Building. STEAK was the entree for me, as well as fudge and an old-fashioned vanilla ice cream shake served at a class soda fountain/long bar with stools. I also had a fortifying breakfast there before pedaling South to Marfa!

• Visited June 2011
2 Thank Juanito_Hayburg
“Service lacking; food ok; ambience appealing”
Reviewed July 22, 2011

Expected this would be a delightful visit back to the soda fountains of yesteryear.

Food was ok, but service lacking. Felt like we were huge imposition to waitress. Someone could make a killing in Ft Davis if they opened a restaurant that emphasized customer service.

2 Thank snaper1
Rosebud, Australia
“Average meal - but wonderful fudge!”
Reviewed July 3, 2011

I loved Fort Davis. What a great little Western town. We stopped for lunch here at the old fashioned and cute Fort Davis Drug Store. I had a chicken sandwich with salad and chips ( crisps, not fries ). This was OK..but the chicken was tough and dry. I couldn't finish it. However I bought 2 pieces of fudge, Maple Walnut and a Chocolate Nut one, which were divine. I should have got more!!!
The staff were very nice and the place had a good atmosphere, and even though I think my meal was not worth the price, the fudge definitely was.
I was really impressed by the Texas-shaped toilet roll holders in the ladies restroom!!! Where can I get one of those!!!???

• Visited June 2011