“Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Black Bear

The Black Bear
Ranked #7 of 20 Restaurants in Fort Davis
Cuisines: American
Good for: Dining on a budget, Large groups, Kids, Families with children, Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Austin, TX
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

My friend was hesitant to eat here, having had bad experiences in the past. But after we heard other hotel guests raving over it, I convinced him to give it another chance. I'm so glad we did! The breakfast buffet was spectacular, with house-made granola, a frittata with locally-grown veggies, and other delicious options. What sent it over the top for me was that the chef told me that no MSG comes out of her kitchen: I get so tired of having to cross-examine wait-staff just to avoid the stuff, because it makes me very sick. From that point on, we ate every meal we could at The Black Bear--and not just because of the MSG ban! It was all delicious, and Nell is a wonderful waitress. If a prior experience is keeping you away, you will be pleasantly surprised.

1 Thank Madalo

El Paso, Texas
“The best place to Eat in Fort Davis”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

Tasty food and great service.. It's changed alright....for the better. No deep-fried selection anymore. While menu is limited, there is usually a buffet ready to offer tempting dishes. Pastries are out of this world. The view is nothing short of stunning!

• Visited October 2013
Austin, Texas
“Hmmmmm”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

We've been visiting the Fort Davis area for the past 30 years and have eaten at Black Bear many times. This year definite changes have been made to the restaurant. Perhaps it is because the Park is undergoing renovations until next spring. Menu choices on this Thursday night were very limited, the salad bar was gone and a cheeseburger and fries now cost $12. Service was friendly and efficient and the food quality is fine. Time will tell if this new version of an old reliable will be viable.

“It's changed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

This was a definite place to eat during the September Cyclefest in the past.
However, the menu is down to a tattered single sheet of paper with about half a dozen menu choices. Period. Their hallmark CC sandwich is gone. The food quality was OK. Not great. Veggies on my pasta were over cooked.
Service was very cordial.
Sorry to see the changes.

1 Thank horseshrink
austin, tx
“Who'da thunk it?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

We spent 2 nights at the Indian Lodge in the Fort Davis Mountains and I was prepared to make sandwiches in our room, expecting the worst from whatever food might be offered there. Boy was I wrong! Chef Connie Cornett made the most incredible breakfasts and satisfying dinners. The chicken fried steak was made with beef tenderloin, incredibly tender with the lightest crust I ever tasted. It was undoubtedly the best chicken fried steak I have ever eaten. Connie sources her produce and dairy products from local farmers. Her pie crusts, granola, quiches are all made from scratch. I would go out of my way to eat there again.