“Better than before!”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Visiting friends in Ft Davis, four of us dined at the Black Bear Restaurant one Friday evening before going on to a Star Party at the McDonald Observatory. I have frequented the Big Bend area several times in the last twenty-five years, often staying at the unique and comfortable Indian Lodge. Accustomed to the no frills, but consistently good meals at the Black Bear, I was pleasantly surprised by the new menu and new look. Seeing table linens was the first tip off that there have been changes. Then looking over the menu, I realized that there have been changes there too. A varied selection of salads and entrees, home style soups and a tempting list of desserts made it difficult to decide. But when I read that the chicken fried steak started out with a portion of sirloin . . . I went with that. Born and raised in Texas, I've had a few and this was definitely one of the best. Lightly battered, cooked just right and served with a delicate cream gravy along with side dishes of mashed potatoes and grilled mixed vegetables . . . delicious! My dining partners were equally impressed with their meals. Then we had a sampler of desserts that was appropriate for our activity later that evening . . . the desserts were heavenly. Connie, the Black Bear chef, served the desserts herself. She possesses the perfect blend of West Texas Hospitality and Big City Culinary Expertise.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Today's buffet lunch at the Black Bear was outstanding. Everything was freshly prepared (not frozen, microwaved, or deep fried) and included 3 creative salads plus several entrees and 3 to-die-for pastries. There is no place in Fort Davis to get healthy, beautiful food of this caliber, and only several places in Marfa if you're willing to drive 50 miles round trip. The Executive Chef does wonderful vegetarian and vegan options ... healthy and oh-so-good! I especially enjoyed the house-made hummus, taboulleh, stuffed grape leaves and chocolate ganache cake. Definitely worth a stop if you're visiting the Davis Mountains.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

We were told when we checked into Indian Lodge that the food in the restaurant was outstanding--they had hired a chef and pastry chef and that we would work off all the calories climbing the stairs to the restaurant. The food was great, prices very fair, and the service was good even though they were short staffed. We had the same waitress for dinner and breakfast the next morning. The breakfast buffet was wonderful--plenty of fresh fruit, a wonderful frittata along with sausage, bacon, donuts, cinnamon rolls, oatmeal and great coffee. One evening we had the dinner buffet (less than $20) and it included dessert. I had key lime pie and loved it. Another evening we ordered off the menu--service was timely. The one negative is that I did not work off all the calories! I'd go back there in a heartbeat.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Ate one meal at the Black Bear during our stay in Indian Lodge, and that was one too many. It was a buffet (the only choice). The salad was iceberg lettuce, period. With dressing, but no tomato or anything else. One meat choice (chicken). The grilled veggies were very good. Rice was undercooked. Quiche was OK. There was a soup crock with bowls sitting on the buffet table, but they were out of soup (then take the crock off of the table!). Dessert was a thin piece of plain cake with sparse icing. Not a bad meal if they only charged $6.95, but they charged $13.95!! This place could be really great with a few menu changes and better service. I like to support state parks, but could not do it here.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

After reading reviews online, I was excited to eat at the Black Bear Restaurant. However, upon arrival we were presented with buffet style eating. Only items on the buffet menu were red and green enchiladas, pinto beans and chips. The food was cold and mediocre. The enchiladas were more casserole style than traditional. I wished I ordered from the kids menu due to the fact that it looked yummiest and healthier than the buffet. I will probably never visit the restaurant again. I highly recommend The Drug Store in Fort Davis. It has great food.