“Outstanding. And 25 Minutes or Less to Everything (Marfa, McDonald Observatory, Alpine)”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fort Davis
Mountain Trails Lodge
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We originally only planned to stay two nights with Jenny and Scott at Mountain Trails Lodge, and ended up staying for five. That right there says something.

My initial phone contact with Jenny was beyond fantastic- she happily booked our stay and went above and beyond to answer the questions I had about the Davis Mountains/Fort Davis/Marfa/Alpine area. I'm a native Texan, but had never been to the Davis Mountains or Big Bend. Jenny and her husband, Scott are a vast resource of information not only on the day-to-day happenings around, but also hold advanced degrees in History and Scientific and Technical Communications, and can fill you in on just about anything you might want to know. They have historically lead large groups on birding, geological, and natural history tours of The Big Bend and Northern Mexico, and concurrently operate a natural education program. Mountain Trails Lodge is a natural development from that business.

The cabins themselves are quiet, very clean, and comfortable. We were able to fit our family of four into one of the double bed rooms tightly, but easily. Keep in mind this is far West Texas, folks. You aren't going to get the Ritz Carlton out here, so don't even begin to expect that level of accomodation. You are in the middle of the remote West Texas Dessert, so keep that in mind. What you do get is an extremely pleasant, inviting, and clean place to stay with enough of that West Texas Funky vibe to make it really interesting and fun.

I can't say enough about the location: 20 minutes to the McDonald Obeservatory for star parties or solar viewings, 10 minutes to Davis Mountains State Park. 5 minutes or less to Historic Fort Davis. 25 minutes to Marfa. 25 minutes to Alpine. 5 minutes or less to in-town dining and attractions (Rattlesnake Museum, anyone?). If you want to hit it all, this is the place to be.

Breakfast is included in your room rate and should absolutely not be skipped. Served family/buffet style, menu items over the various days included: Scrambled Eggs, Migas, French Toast, Buttermilk-Whole-Wheat Pancakes, Bacon, Sausage, Grilled Ham, Blueberry Muffins and Various Other Little Wonderful Pastries, Juices, Big Bend Coffee (Awsome, BTW, I brought some home with me), Biscuits. Even Fresh Fruit on several occasions. Fresh Fruit! In the middle of the Chihuahuan Dessert! Not easy to do, folks- you're miles from anywhere out there.

I travel for a living, and in all, MTL has the Divine Trifecta I look for in overnight accomdations: Perfect Location, Comfy and Inviting Digs, and Genuinely Good People as proprietors. I honestly think you can't find a better place in the area for a base of operations than Mountain Trails Lodge!

Room Tip: East-facing rooms have the best view. All cabins are siamesed, sharing one wall, with one door faci...

Reviewed April 1, 2013

My kids (ages six and nine) and I greatly enjoyed our stay here. The owners provide a wonderful breakfast, great recommendations on places to visit in the area. My children also loved their animals (an extra perk). We will be back!

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Eating breakfast at MTL conjured up memories of my childhood. I always knew my grandma's breakfast was the best...now, I am not sure. :-(
Scones, migas, scrambled eggs, almond French toast, apple sauce pancake with berry chutney are just a few of e saplings we had during our three night stay.
I know this site is about the Lodge, but the breakfast rounds out a perfect trip to Fort Stockton.
Pros:scones, breakfast, scones, location, scones, kitchenette, Scott and Jennifer
Cons: mattress not comfy (my opinion)
If you want a quite getaway in West Texas, I would recommend MTL. Btw, gotta try the scones.
Stayed 3 nights over Easter Weekend.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 15, 2013

From the time I booked our reservation to the end of our stay, Jenny and Scott made sure that our needs were met. A personal email confirmation from Jenny eased my worries about their availability and she made sure we were in an adjoining cabin. The cabins are perfect and the beds are comfortable. Breakfasts are delicious, there was something new prepared each morning, like french toast, eggs, tacos or pancakes. The staff was friendly and helpful.

I am looking forward to visiting West Texas again soon and when I do I will make reservations at the Mountain Trails Lodge.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We've been to Ft Davis several times and this was our 1st time at the Mountan Trails Lodge.
Very impressed! Cabin's were very clean and the breakfast (included) was different every morning and great. If you have a group they can set up tours to Big Bend, McD. Observatory and many more places, even as far as Carlsbad Caverns, NM. We will definately be back.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

We first came to this lovely lodge and B&B two years ago, and the hook was set. We returned for a 2-day stay last week, as part of a camping trip to the Big Bend area. Jenny and Scott have done wonders with the property and continue to build their business and attract clientele from all over the world. We had our motorcycles this time, and the whole Fort Davis area abounds with great rides. The "Scenic Loop" past the McDonald Observatory is just a wonderful circuit and is not to be missed. The comfortable, clean and remodeled lodgings awaited us on our return, the sunset was as glorious as ever and our breakfast the next morning was -if such a thing is possible- even better than we remembered! We will definitely return, we will recommend this wonderful place to our friends, and we hope that all bikers out there realize what this area has to offer!

Room Tip: You get sunrise or sunset, based on the orientation of the cabins, so pick your favourite!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Modern and rustic cabins are very comfortable and Jenny and Scott are friendly and helpful hosts. The cabins are quiet, clean and fun. The location offers nice views and is a short drive to Fort Davis. The breakfasts are homecooked and delicious. A very pleasant place to stay and and a great value.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Hotel Saint George
Hotel Saint George
#1 of 4 in Marfa
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Alpine Southeast

Been to Mountain Trails Lodge? Share your experiences!