“Enjoyed our stay during Spring Break” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Stone Village Tourist Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fort Davis
The Stone Village Tourist Camp
Ranked #4 of 7 Fort Davis B&B and Inns
“Enjoyed our stay during Spring Break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

I was originally looking at other places to stay, but selections were slim during Spring Break. Thankfully, a coworker recommended the Stone Village Tourist Camp and they only had two rooms left when I made reservations for the night we were staying.

Of the three places (including well known national chains) we stayed at during our trip to West Texas, this was the best. My wife is very picky and she only had good things to say.

As the response from the owner to the previous reviewer states, there is a detailed description for the room you will be staying in. For us, it was room #15 which is a double queen with a mini-fridge. And yes, it had a coffee maker with several selections. The only downside with this room is that it's on a street corner, so you hear cars driving probably starting around 7AM, which actually served as a wake up call. So if you want to sleep in, take ear plugs like my wife.

Finally, the sandwiches we had for lunch at the grocery store were really good. Also, there's a Mexican restaurant next door. Service was slow (maybe due to Spring Break), but breakfast was great.

We will definitely stay here next time we visit West Texas.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Joe G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
bravestrong
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

if i hadn't prepaid for 2 nights, i would have turned around and walked out. My room was clean but tiny. bathroom tub/shower combo badly needed caulking. "curtain" on front door not wide enough to provide privacy....easily an inch on each side..less than safe feeling. Used the shampoo + toiletries provided during first night shower -- when they "prepped" my room the next day while i was away, they left NO new toiletries for the second night's shower. Finally, and totally inexcuseable, absolutely NO coffee service..... not in the room (single service coffee makers cost $15 nowdays!), none in the office (clearly marked as "Private Residence"). Even store on property CHARGES motel guests for a cup of coffee and ANY sweets!! so if you want coffee, get in your car and drive a few blocks to Thriftway for good, fresh coffee. No refrig or microwave in my room. bed too soft, but clean linens and spreads. pool looked nice but i didn't have a swimsuit. No warm wood fire by the pool. Interaction with manager dissuaded by sign on Office Door "management is on the property" and on side door "Private Residence". I won't stay here again.

Room Tip: wouldn't recommend Room 2 unless and until the curtain on the entry door provides complete priva...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank bravestrong
randallsvtc, Owner at The Stone Village Tourist Camp, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
I am sorry for this guests unpleasant two night stay, but grateful for this review process, as it gives potential travelers information to help in making a quality decisions.

In response to this review I can offer couple of tips when considering our property.

Each room is different and if booking on line, this will be obvious as each room does have accurate photos depicting the layout and motif. Also, for each room, there is a description of services.
This particular room is an efficiency floor space with very sparse furnishings and not much surface space for anything, including coffee service.
Coffee service for this room and Room #4 are provided at no charge upon request of the guests. These policies are clearly stated and are presumed to be understood when booking online.

We strive to do all we can to make your stay here pleasant, and anytime a guests is not satisfied with the room, we are flexible and accommodating up to and including upgrading if available, and in extreme cases, refunding and assisting in booking other accommodations.

Anytime there is something that does not meet reasonable standards, we will provide solutions for the guests. Usually, simple request can be easily filled, including extra amenities.

The property also hosts a natural food market and full service deli. Our coffee, (usually three choices) include free-trade organic gourmet roast from Latin America at $1 per 12 oz. cup, refills 50 cents.

Another consideration when staying during the offseason is staffing. I keep one employee, and do much of the work myself. (we're a Mom and Pop motor court) so it is very possible I can be in one of several places, including my back office, which is in my residence. We do have a lobby, a posted phone number, a door bell and a service bell at the desk. I always feel guilty when a customer cannot find me, so I'm mindful to keep a phone or let someone on the property know where I am.

Lastly, we do not accept pre-payment under almost all conditions, because of difficulty with credit card/debit card refunds; additional fees and inconvenience to the guest when banks may take up to 10 days to re-deposit your funds are situations we try to avoid, therefore we collect payment upon arrival.

Communication (or lack of...) usually seem to be at the heart of most complaints, so regardless where you stay, let staff know of your concerns as there may be a quick remedy.

Respectfully,

Randall Kinzie, mgr/owner
Stone Village Tourist Camp and Market
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

We spent two nights at Stone Village Tourist Camp. Room #9. The room was very clean. A wonderful layout with a sitting area, kitchen with refrigerator and microwave, bedroom with queen bed and bathroom with shower.
The bed was a little soft for my liking, my wife was fine with it.
The wireless internet was very unreliable. Other locations in FD have good working wireless internet, so this could and should be remedied.
We would stay at Stone Village Tourist Camp again.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Little Rock, Arkansas, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

We were looking for something different at a good price and we found it here at The Stone Village Tourist Camp. We wanted a motor-camp feeling as in days past and we got it. Nice swimming pool with a warm wood fire nearby so that we could visit with other travelers staying there for the night. We like to think it was more like travel in the old days where travelers had the opportunity to visit in a relaxing area outside if they so wished. Visit the deli next door for food and wine. Visit their web site to see the room options. We will definitely return on our next visit to Fort Davis.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Austin Tx
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

I've stayed at the Stone Village Tourist camp a few times & it has always been great. I go to Ft Davis with the Hill Country BMW riders every year & we have stayed in a few other places in the area but none are a s friendly at the folk here. The rooms are nice & the price is good. I have just made my reservation for this years trip out in March & can not wait to see Randall & his staff again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
randallsvtc, Owner at The Stone Village Tourist Camp, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Thanks so much for the vote of confidence! We do appreciate you and your organization, Hill Country BMW Riders!

Related to this review: We take care of hundreds (literally) of motorcyclist, many in groups or clubs.

Stone Village Tourist Camp, in my mind, makes an excellent stay for two reasons:

Your bike is as close to your room as you can park it without inconviencing other guests;
The accomodations are ideal for light packing.

I believe those two assets make the stay here enjoyable, not to mention the proximity of the Stone Village Market and the pool w/firepit.

Don't forget to ask for rags!

Happy Trails!
Twickenham, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights while we explored the Fort Davis area and enjoyed the Stone Village Tourist Camp. We chose to stay in one of the more basic rooms, which was in retrospect perhaps a bit too small for two people and lacked tea and coffee making and a fridge, but that was our fault for not checking more carefully when booking. On that basis I'd recommend going for something a little bigger, as all the rooms seem to be slightly different. That aside we found the owner friendly and welcoming, the location peaceful and quiet, and the lovely little pool was a real bonus.

Room Tip: The rooms vary a bit in size and facilities so choose carefully to match your needs.
Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
New Braunfels
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

My husband & I spent out last night of vacation at this motel, renting a 1 bedroom "suite." The owner, Randall, went above & beyond to ensure our comfort; he got us checked in earlier than specified & provided a bbq pit so we could grill in front of our room. The ambiance of this small lodge is one of comfort while the nice front porch & comfortable chairs encouraged guests to sit outside and enjoy the weather. We will definitely stay here again during future trips to the Davis Mountains. My only complaint is that the bed was too soft for me, but our bed at home is super firm so I'm just not used to a soft bed. No reason to lower the score though.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
#1 of 13 in Alpine
Quarter Circle 7 Hotel
Quarter Circle 7 Hotel
#5 of 13 in Alpine

Been to The Stone Village Tourist Camp? Share your experiences!