“Above and beyond!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fort Davis
The Stone Village Tourist Camp
Ranked #3 of 7 Fort Davis B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 25, 2013

What can I say about these folks.... they are extraordinary. My fiancée and I rented a house they manage on Scobee Mountain. We limped into town with car trouble with plans to be married the following day in Marfa. My car died and had to be towed 150 miles away to Odessa. Here I am more than 600 miles from home, no way to get back to the house, to Marfa, my wedding...my future bride who is stuck on the mountain while I tried to attend to my car. The owner, without any delay, threw me the keys to his personal vehicle and said go get married.....see ya tomorrow. We returned the next day and expressed our thanks....he said you know what I don't really need it, I have another car...keep it until you leave. Needless to say it changed what could have been a huge problem into a wonderful honeymoon. These folks believe in service and caring. You can't go wrong here.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BWorthington
randallsvtc, Owner at The Stone Village Tourist Camp, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

It was a pleasure to have been able to be a part of this couple's new life together! They were great guests and we saw the need!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I'm not sure why this place is rated #1. It should be. It's all one story and every door opens on to the gravel parking lot. I like this because it was very easy to get stuff from the truck. I have been here on my motorcycle also and being able to park right in front of your bedroom window is a huge plus. Cars and trucks park on the other side of the parking lot which is maybe 60 or 70 feet away. You don't have to worry about anybody's engine waking you up in the morning. Most motorcycles these days are very quiet.

The showers are small, but they work fine. The bathroom is fine. Remember this is a fun old-time traveller's style hotel. It's not a high rise luxury resort. It's fun and the staff are super nice people.
They have a little store attached that also makes sandwiches. The store stocks a large variety of gluten-free and other special dietary foods. That was unexpected for a small town.

Walking all around town is easy. It took me and my 12 year old about ten minutes to walk all the way to the courthouse. The main dragw has some fun shops.

Regarding the website, the pictures are not very good. The place is actually MUCH nicer and the pool is very good for cooling off. You won;t be swimming any laps in it but thena gain your kids can play and have a great time while you sit in the comfy chairs under the trees.

Room Tip: There are two types of rooms. Call and talk to the receptionist to find out which type suits you the...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MJSpock
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Randall and his staff is top notch. They understand customer service consistently going above and beyond! Everytime we turned around he was there asking if we needed anything. He opened his adjacent store for groceries after hours just to make sure we had what we needed!

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Great place. Nice, clean rooms. Fantastic staff! Loved it! Definitely will stay here again. Would not hesitate to recommend this place to others. Biker friendly. Great food and whatever else you need within walking distance.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We were starting a 7 day bike trip to Big Bend from Fort Davis and were booked at this venue for our first night. We were worried. But it was a GREAT experience. . The pictures on line do NOT do it justice. We stayed in one of the rooms with a screen wall to the outside - it was unique and comfortable. A very big step up from camping - which was on the docket for 3 of out 7 nights. The town is dead at night so the screen wall worked great. The host/owner was fantastic and catered dinner for the group the first night. If I ever get back to this part of TExas again, I am staying here.

Room Tip: Get one of the screen rooms - not a standard room. A warning - showers and bathroom are common - non...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Richard R
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

I don't normally take the time to post reviews of places I stay, but I feel compelled to write a review about Stone Village Tourist Camp. We have stayed here many times, in both the camp rooms and regular rooms. Stone Village is not only spotlessly clean, but the atmosphere that the owners have created is amazing. The pool is an amazing amenity as well; it is heated to ensure a great experience even in the cooler spring and fall months. Our dogs are always welcome here, and we are always made to feel very welcome as well. The camp rooms are definitely worth trying, if you like the idea of camping without the hassle of bringing your own equipment. The cozy beds with pillow top mattresses in the camp rooms will give you the most relaxing comfortable sleep, and the beds are plenty warm even in the cooler months in spite of no heat. If you are coming to the Ft Davis area please do yourself a favor and stay at Stone Village. I don't think you'll regret it!!!

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We slept well in our curtained screen-door room. The beds were excellent and we stayed warm enough under the warm covers even in early March. The tap water isn't very tasty, so many will want to drink bottled water or something else (I assume this is Fort Davis's problem, not specific to the Stone Village). Be aware that since these rooms don't have a solid door that sounds from outdoors are able to be heard, such as every footstep or softly voiced conversation (in our case, a group of teens horsing around)--the effect is more similar to the sound of a campground than a typical lodging. All of the above weren't really a problem for us.

The problem: We were disappointed in the bathrooms that are shared by the non-motel guests. The two men's and two women's showers, though small, were acceptable, but there aren't enough of them for the number of non-motel guests. Therefore there was a considerable line of women waiting to shower, and at least one guest decided a shower could wait for another time. When the showers are in use the bathrooms get very stuffy. Finally, the curtained (no door) toilet stalls are too small--when sitting on the toilet the curtain hangs against the front of your knees and lower legs, while other bathroom users walk by in the narrow passageway. My suggestion would be for the Stone Village to construct additional and more suitable bathroom facilities on the premises for their non-motel guests.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Alpine Southeast
Hampton Inn Alpine
Hampton Inn Alpine
#2 of 13 in Alpine

Been to The Stone Village Tourist Camp? Share your experiences!