“Mixed review”
Review of Bridgewater Bistro

Bridgewater Bistro
Ranked #5 of 104 Restaurants in Astoria
Cuisines: American, Wine Bar
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Industry
Transit: Local riverfront trolley stops 100 yards from restaurant entrance.
Description: Enjoy Pacific Northwest casual and fine dining in a beautifully-restored cannery boatyard on the Astoria riverfront, with full views of the impressive four-mile-long Astoria-Megler bridge and the busy Columbia River shipping channel. Eclectic menu of small plates, fish "n chips, gourmet burgers, house-made soups, salads, local seafood and fine regional meats. House-baked breads and desserts. 90% of menu available gluten-free (including desserts). Children's menu. Full view bar, regional beers on tap, 300+ wine list with regional focus (40 wines offered by the glass). Dog-friendly deck dining, weather permitting. View mezzanine level available for groups up to 55. Adjacent riverview banquet space can accommodate seating dining up to 225 with dance floor and bar. Retail wine and gift shop onsite. Open daily for lunch, dinner and Sunday brunch. Happy hour 4-6 pm Monday-Friday. Local live jazz Thursday, Friday, Saturday nights; Sunday brunch. Dinner reservations advise
Reviewed August 2, 2009

We have mixed-reviews on our meals. DT and I shared three "small plates" - seared ahi with seaweed (about one minute over-cooked, but the flavor and seaweed salad was very nice), watermelon salad with balsamic vinegar, feta, olives and mint (very refreshing and different) and Willapa Bay oyster shooters (delicious, according to DT).

For dinner DT had another appetizer - steamed Manila clams, also from Willapa Bay, Washington. He said they were wonderful. I ordered the caught-today Chinook and it was good... but my meal was served cold. Yuck.

The restaurant did have a very impressive wine list (and full bar), but we can only give it one thumb up because of the hodge-podge condition of our meals. Service was quite good - she ran my $27 Chinook back to the microwave right away. Sigh.

I would recommend this restaurant for appetizers/cocktails only. Great location.

3  Thank The_RV_Goddess
Write a ReviewReviews (1,491)

Reviewed July 27, 2009

We tried this restaurant because of its high rating on Tripadvisor and were not disappointed. The setting is lovely with a great view of the waterfront. We tried the baby clams and the Alaskan King "crabscargot". I would recommend both. The service as friendly and attentive. Overall, a wonderful experience.

Reviewed July 22, 2009

I wish I had come here with the other folks who wrote reviews of this restaurant so we could've had a better experience. We're from Houston, and were interested in trying some local seafood, to compare it to fresh Gulf seafood. The location and atmosphere of this restaurant were very appealing. We certainly didn't expect such a trendy decor in what appeared to us to be a small fishing town. But that was where the wonder ended. The waitress was impatient, and was unpleasant about any special requests (for example, the menu lists "over the top fries" which we wanted with our fish & chips, but she said in a fairly condescending way that she'd "try to get that through the kitchen". Coming from a huge city we don't always expect really friendly service, but (1) this was my companion's birthday and (2) every other waitperson we'd encountered in Oregon was so friendly we practically "friended" each other on Facebook, so we were disappointed. They also goofed up the bill, charging for things we didn't order.

The serving sizes were small, and the fish * chips in particularly were rubbery and just not good. If you're wondering whether to try it anyway, get the small size - the difference between large and small orders is one small piece of fish.

I think I would come here for drinks to enjoy the very interesting decor and watch the ships going under the bridge, but even if I ever come back to Astoria, I won't eat here again.

3  Thank Aujourdhui
Atkisch, owner at Bridgewater Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2009

We'll certainly address the issues relating to poor service mentioned in this review. It's our intent that all of our guests receive friendly and attentive service, and we strive very hard to accommodate our guests's special requests. We appreciate the feedback!

Reviewed July 14, 2009

So many restaurants are cooking the same ol' stuff...usually something I can make at home; "So, why eat out?!" I say. I love the Bridgewater because I can always get something with ingredients I'm familiar with but prepared in such a way as to expand my understanding of what's possible. And! And! It never fails to taste wonderful. And! I get pleasant service from the staff and kind attentions from the owners! Be honest. How many places do you eat at where an informed and friendly owner will spend any time chatting about the food, the wine, the building, whatever? Well, in my experience, It's a common occurrence at the Bridgewater.

It seems that attention to detail has been taken with each offering. If you ask a few questions about the ingredients, you'll find out what I mean.

The building is a disguised gem. From the outside it's a basic red building. But inside, you get a lovely view of the water and the bridge (yeah, I know, hence the name). But knowing the history of the place - again, the staff are happy to chat about it - you feel like you get a sneak peak into a time while enjoying a wonderful evening: beautiful artwork, old plank flooring, a surprise view beneath the building, live jazz music, excellent food, kind service.

Because of all these excellent qualities, it's not what you'd call a cheap night out. That might be why there aren't too many families with young kids either and why, when we bring ours, it's not exactly the most relaxing affair. But the staff is gracious and we just make sure we exit without too much lingering.

I love to have a go-to place in a city where I can find a culinary experience that introduces me to new flavors, ideas and memories. Astoria + BridgeWater Bistro = The Place.

Reviewed July 2, 2009

My husband and I were up again from Portland and found ourselves wandering the Riverwalk out towards the Bridgewater. We weren't in the mood for a full dinner, but happened to show up right as happy hour started. What a great place to lounge next to the river (the weather was wonderful so the patio was open) and we got to enjoy the fantastic appetizers for half price! My husband even had his favorite Cougar Burger (made with Cougar Gold chees from WSU and cranberry blueberry mustard) for half the price!

They also had a great drink special "Thyme Lemonade." Oh my goodness super refreshing with Thyme simple syrup, lemonade and citron Vodka; so great for a hot day on the coast! Their beers on tap and house wines also had some sort of discount for happy hour, but we both got a bit addicted to the lemonades and just kept having them!

We're looking forward to our next trip back to enjoy more wonderful food from the Bridgewater Bistro! We have yet to have any complaints about the bistro and I'm sure we never will!

1  Thank mjrHillsboro