“...and I thought it was just a coffee shop.”

Astoria Coffeehouse and Bistro
Ranked #15 of 106 Restaurants in Astoria
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night
Reviewed November 7, 2010

On one of my business trips to Astoria, Oregon recently, I came across the Astoria Coffeehouse & Bistro. I went there for a latte' in the morning, and I took a look at their food menu while I was waiting. I ended up going back that evening for dinner. I had to try something from that menu!
I'm used to the fried food selection I see at the local restaurants, but not at this place.
The menu was impressive, & the entree I ordered ( I had the pork belly ) melted away in my mouth. I wished I had 3 stomachs so I could've eaten more food!
The atmosphere was hip, yet classy, with great music. This is not a place I would've expected to find in Astoria, but I am glad I did, & I will surely go back!
(Next time I am going to save room for one of those incredible desserts I saw!)

Reviewed November 7, 2010

And if that's my motto, I'll be giving out deliciousness for the next week!
I took my mom to the Astoria Coffee House last night because I wanted to take her to somewhere special. Sure you can go anywhere and get pan seared oysters, greasy fish and chips and lame clam chowder... those places are a dime a dozen on the Coast.
But instead, I wanted her to experience something unique, local and fresh.
Task accomplished!
We started our meal with the house made hummus. Our plate was served with a generous portion of hummus, decorated with fresh tomato, red onion, kalamatas, and capers. It was light and flavorful and the bread was so soft. By far the best house made hummus I've had. My mom ordered a fish entree that was soooo lovely. The fish was cooked to perfection, moist, light and flavorful with just the right amount of seasoning. Served atop polenta and garnished with a mixture of perfectly cooked vegetables...including the best brussel sprouts ever.
I wasn't that hungry, so I opted for a soothing bowl of wild mushroom soup. Local and hand picked, the soup was fragrant and filling. Not too buttery or creamy and with such an amazing aroma and full of mushrooms.
We finished our mouthwatering bliss by sharing house made ice cream... I had 2 scoops- one the burnt caramel with sea salt and the other apple cider. I never use the term "OMG", but OMG!!! Both were amazing, but the apple cider! I fell in love instantly. My mom ordered the eggnog creme brulee... seasonal perfection. All I needed was a fireplace and a comforter to top off the level of comfort and warmth the whole experience left.
While the space isn't "typical", which I appreciate, the unique atmosphere is something I encourage everyone to experience. There is new art up every month, the space is small but well designed and it's obvious the the chef takes pride in his menu.
If you are looking for boring clam chowder, greasy fish and chips and tacky decor... go elsewhere. But if you are looking for unique cuisine or fantastic coffee... this IS the place to be.
Thank you!

1  Thank rawart
Reviewed October 15, 2010

I agree with the last three reviews. Gave them another chance to redeem themselves from the rudest help in Astoria and again they still win out. I had won a gift certificate so we decided to go for lunch, it use to be one of my favorites in Astoria but the rude help got old after awhile the food wasn't that good to put up with it. New waitress so I thought WOW maybe we'll get great service. I think it's a pre-req to be rude to customers there. Asked for more hot water for my tea, that seemed to really make her angry and from then on out she was not so nice. Came time to pay the bill, left the tip on table and brought the money to the counter to pay. She asked if we wanted change and I said, "Yes," she handed it to me and never said "thank you," I think she was expecting a tip for her lousy service. Even if I win other gift certificate to this place I'll just put it in the garbage were it belongs.

1  Thank bytheloch
Reviewed July 29, 2010

I have never felt welcomed at this coffeehouse. They don't even acknowledge you when you walk in-- you have to stand at the counter for awhile, even when a worker is there to take your order. Coffee takes a long time to make, and asking for anything that isn't on their short coffee menu doesn't get you very far. The atmosphere is pretentious and the food and coffee aren't good enough for me to be treated so poorly.

The times I have eaten there, the food was good. Just be prepared to feel like intruders rather than guests.

2  Thank awayhomehappy
Reviewed July 28, 2010

Ever been to the Montage in Portland? It's known for good food and rude, careless servers. This place reminds me of said restaurant.

The service was terrible. This barista made me a great looking, average tasting, more expensive than other area coffee shops white mocha.

The Atmosphere was nice! It is unique, but I wouldn't recommend it if you are looking for a historic/traditional Astorian atmosphere. Go find waterfront coffee shops for that--they're built in renovated historic buildings and still have original timbers from as far back as 1920's still in them. (those coffee shops are listed later)

The Value was average, if that. I rated it poor because I don't care if you can do flowers with the foam on my coffee, I want it to taste good more than anything else. It's "gourmet" in looks and cost. Their soup wasn't exciting, but not bad.

The Service and lower end coffee (disappointing considering they are using Stumptown coffee) really set me to rate it poor, despite the aggregate probably being more average overall.

The view outside is fair, if you like being right on the road. I like the Wheelhouse Coffee Co. in the 14th st. Pilot Station and Coffee Girl on Pier 39 much better for atmosphere and view

1  Thank iAmOregon