“Coffeehouse”

Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast
Los Angeles, California
“Coffeehouse”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We have always liked what we've ordered here. The last time we visited Astoria we sat at a table outside, but no one told us that we had to order inside if we sit outside... so we waited for a long time before we figured it out... the waitress served food to others outside and never told us that we had to go in to order. It was weird to have someone walk past you several times and not speak to us. Once we got our food we quickly realized that we also wouldn't get refills of ice tea outside... so next time we will only sit inside.

Visited August 2012

Astoria, Oregon, United States
“Made to order!”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

I love to have my mocha with only half the coco, and the Astoria coffeehouse makes them great! They even pour a heart or leaf in your foam! You can sit in or outside which is great on a sunny day in Astoria.They have great food too so give them a try.

Visited September 2012
new westminster
“great atmosphere”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We had our lunch here at around 2pm and there was no waiting for our seating. We were seating outside, the waitress was helpful and friendly, the food was ok and the price is reasonabe, three of us (including our 2 years old) , we ordered sui mai,clam chower,whole caesar salad and burger, and spent about $40. The astomphere was very relaxing.

1 Thank jack m
Cannon Beach
“Both comfort foods and original twists, pleasant surrounds good service”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I do not go to Astoria or eat out often--a poor and quirky eyesight prevents me from driving and my retirement budget is “thin.” Still the Astoria Coffeehouse is generally where I go, and two recent meals—last weekend--thanks to a visiting friend “with wheels” has proven this restaurant remains consistent and to my liking.

The place was recommended to me about three years ago by a regular customer, a local resident of Astoria. I first started to have the croissants—my childhood’s Sunday treat where I grew up—and I think the pastries are excellent. Then once in a while, I would have breakfast or the very good meatloaf sandwich.

Last weekend on Saturday 8/11/12, I came poised to try the Cajun-oysters appetizer. Unfortunately, it was still breakfast-time so we both settled for a regular breakfast. The food was good—love those potatoes!--and the service was excellent. Beverly was our waitress.
As it turned out we came back to Astoria the next day Sunday 8/12/12 to meet a friend of mine who sells at the Sunday Farmers Market. So we decided to make it lunch this time. Unfortunately I hadn’t realized that on Sundays it would be the Brunch menu, hence the item for which my taste-buds were poised was not on it—Bummer! But the same waitress recognized us and went to talk to the Chef and he agreed to fix it for me.

Considering how busy the place was—and I could see only one person in the kitchen—the oyster-dish came rather fast and it was wonderful in all possible ways. The presentation was nice; the pineapple habanero chutney was not overwhelming, yet very tasty. The nice Fuji apple slaw reminded me of the taste of “céleri rémoulade,” and the oysters did not “suffer the abuse” of being battered-to death as much seafood often turns out to be. They were light and fluffy and perfectly cooked. I thanked both Beverly and the Chef (I am told it was either Sean Whitaker or Marc Winheim). I also noticed that our waitress also bent backward to accommodate others when customers did not get exactly what they expected—in a specific case, by not charging the customer.

I certainly would be tempted to be a regular guest if I lived closer: It’s a Yin-Yang thing: My love of good and affordable food would be satisfied, yet as reasonable as the costs are, it would be a stretch for me to regularly yield into temptation. So, I’m happy: I will still recommend the place as I did even before those two latest meals, and I do look forward to coming back.

addendum: 8/29/12- Went back with another friend. We both ordered the Cajun oysters and they were excellent and so was the service. Our waitress was Josie (I hope I'm right, I could not hear her clearly over the bustle as we were ready to leave, please give credit where it is due otherwise though all the servers I’ve had were good) and we talked to Jim who co-owns the place.
Re: Negative reviews. Overall I think those sites are good because were all the reviews good for any venue, they would seem questionable. I have a number of friends who work in restaurants: Here on this Coast, most are artists by avocation, and restaurant workers to survive, though some of them are “kitchen-artists!”—to wit the execution of that oyster dish. It is sad how one “off-visit” can trigger a damming review, hence good ones need to be written as well to offset the former. Obviously the Astoria Coffeehouse and Bistro has enough faithful followers to worry about the negative only enough to correct it when it makes sense, something they seem to do without delay. It’s a jungle in and out of the kitchen! Keep up the good work!

Portland, Oregon, United States
“Good food...unsanitary restaurant”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Sushi night food and cocktails were good. However, I do not like sharing my food with bugs from the soy sauce containers. I lalso like to have my drinks with my friends and family and not have to wait 10 minutes to recieve the same cocktail. But perhaps the most unexpected thing was the lack of a proper response from the manager. His response to the issue with the fruit flies was basically "oh, sorry, the weather has been warm lately." And yet knowing this, he failed to address the issue by clearing the soy sauce containers. If you had soy sauce at the Astoria Coffeehouse on 08/27/12 chances are that you had a little extra protein. Disgusting.