“Cafe and cantina”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner
Dining options: Dinner
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Cafe side has the best food. All types of homemade dishes. Jalapeño dressing on the salad is the bomb. Drinks are good. Deco is consistent with style. The other side is the cantina. Great little bar. Becoming quite the spot for live music. Open mic nite is starting to rock.

1  Thank crimepays1229

Reviewed September 17, 2012

We were staying in Geahart and the home we were renting from had suggested this Restaurant.
We went there for lunch and was not disappointed. Julie (the Owner) greeted us with a warm hello. We had a delicious lunch and she was very warm and friendly. We would definitely go back there and also told the owners of the rental how much we liked it.

3  Thank Claudia F
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Good meal. Very reasonable. Large portions. They have music. Don't let the outside fool you. The owners are on premises and really take of the customer. The gave me lots of tip on other great places to eat nearby. Who does that?

1  Thank UnhappeyCamper
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Please do yourself a favour and stop at Rio Cafe the next time you go through Astoria. My husband and I were driving down the coast from Vancouver, B.C. on our honeymoon and were passing through Astoria. We are big fans of Mexican food -- which we don't get a lot of in Canada -- and we saw the Rio Cafe on Trip Advisor.

It was very easy to find with our satellite navigation, and it was also easy to find parking right in front of the restaurant. As soon as we walked in, we knew it would be a great experience! The very friendly waitress (who owns the restaurant with her husband, the chef, I believe) was great and she was so excited to hear we had stopped by on our honeymoon! She offered to take our picture and let me wear a sombrero, which was great fun.

We started out with a variety of dips, including salsa, guac & sour cream and their homemade tortilla chips, which were to die for. I also had a pina colada, which was delicious!

For my meal I had the shrimp tacos, and my husband had the carne asada burrito. I have to say I'll never look at shrimp the same way again. I believe the shrimp is freshly caught in the Astoria bay, and it was truly the freshest shrimp I've ever had. The tacos were packed with so much shrimp it was falling out! I still dream about those tacos. My husband also loved his burrito, and we raved about the beans & rice as well, which came with our meals.

The portions here are very large, and extremely well-priced. If you're a fan of Mexican food, fresh ingredients and very friendly service, please stop at Rio Cafe! It was a very memorable stop on a trip that took us through some of the best restaurants on the west coast.

1  Thank Jodster123
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Every time we come to Astoria we always stop, say a big Hello to Julie, and enjoy the best mexican food ever!!!