“The freshest shrimp I've ever tasted & lovely staff!”
Review of Rio Cafe - CLOSED

Rio Cafe
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner
Dining options: Dinner
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Please do yourself a favour and stop at Rio Cafe the next time you go through Astoria. My husband and I were driving down the coast from Vancouver, B.C. on our honeymoon and were passing through Astoria. We are big fans of Mexican food -- which we don't get a lot of in Canada -- and we saw the Rio Cafe on Trip Advisor.

It was very easy to find with our satellite navigation, and it was also easy to find parking right in front of the restaurant. As soon as we walked in, we knew it would be a great experience! The very friendly waitress (who owns the restaurant with her husband, the chef, I believe) was great and she was so excited to hear we had stopped by on our honeymoon! She offered to take our picture and let me wear a sombrero, which was great fun.

We started out with a variety of dips, including salsa, guac & sour cream and their homemade tortilla chips, which were to die for. I also had a pina colada, which was delicious!

For my meal I had the shrimp tacos, and my husband had the carne asada burrito. I have to say I'll never look at shrimp the same way again. I believe the shrimp is freshly caught in the Astoria bay, and it was truly the freshest shrimp I've ever had. The tacos were packed with so much shrimp it was falling out! I still dream about those tacos. My husband also loved his burrito, and we raved about the beans & rice as well, which came with our meals.

The portions here are very large, and extremely well-priced. If you're a fan of Mexican food, fresh ingredients and very friendly service, please stop at Rio Cafe! It was a very memorable stop on a trip that took us through some of the best restaurants on the west coast.

1  Thank Jodster123

Reviewed June 19, 2012

Every time we come to Astoria we always stop, say a big Hello to Julie, and enjoy the best mexican food ever!!!

Reviewed May 1, 2012

We tried the Rio Cafe for lunch recently and it was great. The food was very authentic with homemade tortilla chips and homemade corn tortillas rice and beans! The owners were very friendly and helpful. The service was great! My husband even found some hot habanaro salsa that he loved. We got some to go and he usually has a hard time finding that perfect salsa with flavor and heat! We will be going back for sure! This is a total hole in the wall place but don't let that deter you! It is great!

Reviewed March 18, 2012

The Rio was recommended to us by a local. We're glad he did. The owners are very friendly, there are many great choices and the food is delicious. All of the food, including the chips and salsa, are made here. Get to know Josh, the owner behind the bar. His drinks are yummy!

1  Thank danjstein
Reviewed March 17, 2012

This little treasure is a tribute to the original owner's integrity, now owner by a former waitress who has kept the spirit going and opened an annex with live music at times. Especially laudable is the amount of fresh seafood dishes sadly lacking in most Mexican restaurants; -and if you want SPICY they will really make it so!