“Saturday Brunch in May”

Blue Scorcher Bakery Cafe
Ranked #1 of 4 Bakeries in Astoria
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Takeout
Description: We're a worker-owned cooperative whose mission is to serve delicious, organic food; foster joyful work; and build up our community. Every ingredient used in our foods, breads, pastry, chocolate, and coffee is sourced specifically for quality, wholesomeness, and sustainability. We foster kinship among workers, our regulars, and with our community by donating our excess to the tables of those in need; supporting our local schools, farmers, and nonprofit organizations; and offering cultural and educational events to bring people together throughout the year. Workers earn an average of $13.50 per hour, paid leave that is accrued after three months of employment, scheduling that is worker-focused and flexible, dental benefits, one staff meal and drink per five hour shift with a 30 minute paid lunch break, a 25 percent discount, a fresh loaf of bread per week, and access to wholesale ordering. The kin work involved in consensus-based decision making and management requires a commitment to communication and trust-building within the work community. What does this look like? Proactively seeking feedback before and after shifts, working – not only efficiently, but – mindfully, being a reliable person, reciprocating good will, giving direct feedback early and often, listening to seek understanding – especially in conflict, and avoiding victim mentality by being both vulnerable and accountable.
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We rode our bikes to get there. The restaurant has a very nice relaxed feel. We arrived a little before 11:00 and found no waiting for the person to take our order at the counter.

Two of the members of our party had the french toast with huckleberries. It was excellent. My wife had the fritatta and potatoes. I took a few bites and almost regretted that I didn't have that too! The pastries were yummy, I stole a few bites.

The food is prepared after you order so it took them a few minutes but not excessively long.

The prices are not cheap, but not unreasonable.

The dining area has a nice open casual feel.

The menu offers no meat dishes and does have vegan and gluten free offerings.

The bottom line, this was a good choice for brunch.

1  Thank schota1

Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

We had the pleasure of eating at this establishment twice while visiting Astoria. Both visits were awesome. We ordered the Chocolate Chip Applesauce Muffin, the Morning Glory Muffin, mochas, coffee and their egg specials. It was all yummy! I appreciated that the food was organic and that they even had a play kitchen for my toddler. Worth the trip!

Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

Had a great breakfast. Healthy and organic options. The fruit all was so sweet and perfectly ripe. Funky atmosphere with a hippy vibe. No table service but your order is brought to your table after you order and pay at the counter

Reviewed April 19, 2013

Ate here because of TripAdvisor reviews. Somewhat disappointed as I don't think it's deserving of an "excellent" rating. The grilled cheese sandwich was good, but not anything that would put the place in the top five restaurants in town. I do give extra points to the tangine-spiced garbanzo soup that was on the menu that day - it was flavorful and delicious. Atmosphere is 60s hippies funk, reminding one of a converted warehouse. Did enjoy the 1940s music interspersed with more modern songs ("RESPECT").

1  Thank LinuxWizard
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Found this place on Trip Advisor and if I lived near by I would gain weight! I like healthier versions of baked goods and this place really delivered! It reminded me of a place you would find in the Bay Area years ago, a time gone by. They use natural healthy ingredients and they do it right! We did not try anything but the baked goods and we went 3 times in two days! The coffee was excellent as well. It is nice to have some tasty healthy options. Thank you Blue Scorcher for doing such a great job we will be back!

1  Thank Chris E