“tasty”

Blue Scorcher Bakery Cafe
Ranked #2 of 6 Dessert in Astoria
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Description: We're a worker-owned cooperative whose mission is to serve delicious, organic food; foster joyful work; and build up our community. Every ingredient used in our foods, breads, pastry, chocolate, and coffee is sourced specifically for quality, wholesomeness, and sustainability. We foster kinship among workers, our regulars, and with our community by donating our excess to the tables of those in need; supporting our local schools, farmers, and nonprofit organizations; and offering cultural and educational events to bring people together throughout the year. Workers earn an average of $13.50 per hour, paid leave that is accrued after three months of employment, scheduling that is worker-focused and flexible, dental benefits, one staff meal and drink per five hour shift with a 30 minute paid lunch break, a 25 percent discount, a fresh loaf of bread per week, and access to wholesale ordering. The kin work involved in consensus-based decision making and management requires a commitment to communication and trust-building within the work community. What does this look like? Proactively seeking feedback before and after shifts, working – not only efficiently, but – mindfully, being a reliable person, reciprocating good will, giving direct feedback early and often, listening to seek understanding – especially in conflict, and avoiding victim mentality by being both vulnerable and accountable.
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Well made pastries. We purchased a bear claw and berry bar. the wer good. I would like to try the meals. Maybe next time.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

not sure if I just visited on a bad day but I have to say the staff seemed completely unorganized making the service very slow. I ordered a sandwich and a cup of soup. The sandwhich was already pre-made and they just pulled it from the display and gave it to the cook to heat up. I'm sure the soup was already made up too. I waited over 20 minutes for them to bring my food. AsI was waiting, I noticed that there were at least 10-12 people working. Please note this is a very small place and this seemed like a large number of staff on duty many of whom seemed to be standing around or walking back and fourth not doing much. Everyone had very little energy and no urgency to help patrons. The one women that kept bringing food out kept bringing the food to the wrong tables or would start to walk out but then had to turn around because she didn't know where to bring it. They assign each table with a lettered sign at time of purchase so there should be no reseason that she didn't know where to bring the food. Also, when she did bring the food to the guests, she did know what the food was and even said " This is the ... well, I don't remember what it is..." . Maybe she was new.

The food was delicious and I would go back if I felt as though they actually appreciated by business.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

I love that the food is organic, vegan, raw and some even gluten free! I do not have any need to eat that way, but I like when I can and the food ACTUALLY still tastes good! The cardamon cinnamon rolls were delicious, as were the cream puffs with chocolate ganache inside! Great coffee here also!

Reviewed October 17, 2012

I ate here on a few occassions during a recent stay in Astoria. It is a laid back worker co-operative in a cool historic building. The coffee is good and the baked goods are truly spectacular. I had a bread pudding that may be the best bread pudding on earth and fabulous french toast that was a bit on the pricey side, but well worth it.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

If you like coffee drinks and organic baked goods in a pleasant atmosphere, this is the place for you. I had the best chocolate croissant of my life here. I went back later in the day to get cookies and scones for the drive home. Located in the same building as Fort George brewpub (another gem).