“Good, but Inconsistent”

Ranked #9 of 104 Restaurants in Astoria
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Upon arrival, the server/host passed us by 4 times without so much as a word. When he did come to us, he still didn't say anything, but picked two menus up and walked to our seats. We followed, but were a little confused. Over the course of the meal, he did warm up a bit, and began talking to us, even joking once.

The food was generally VERY good. The dried sausage with pickles was GREAT! I love pickles of any type, so trying so many kinds was terrific. The bread was pretty good, but the ajvar (roasted red pepper spread) was YUMMY!

My husband ordered the lamb, which was not as amazing as we expected, given the rave reviews seen here. It was good, I suppose, but. . . not spectacular, by any means. I had the lamb chops of my life last night, though, so that may have colored my opinion a bit. The lamb was tender, but not as flavorful and well-spiced as I had expected. It came with an odd array of vegetables that looked like the chef opened a bag of frozen stir-fry veggies (baby corn, snap peas, carrots, green beans, red pepper, mushrooms, and water chestnuts). These weren't even seasoned. There as abundant fresh fruit on the plate, which was a nice change of pace. Also inclued was a salad, which had been dressed with lime and cilantro-- this was a lovely accompaniment.

My dish was the pita sirnica, or cheese phyllo pie. This was SO good! It had chewy cheese and melted, stringy cheese. . . some that was mozzarella-like and some that seemed more like cottage cheese. It was wrapped in phyllo dough and topped with sour cream. It was salty, crispy, and gooey. A very comforting meal! It also came with the funky stir-fry veggies, salad, and fresh fruit.

Overall, I'd return. I'd definitely choose something other than the lamb, however.

2  Thank girlfoodie

Reviewed June 16, 2013

I Can't wait to go back. The food is fantastic, cured meats, pickled vegetables. The atmosphere is fun.

1  Thank bigblueear
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I'd actually give this place a 3.5 so I think it's a bit above average. We had lamb which was quite good. The menu is not exactly extensive and you should know that going in.

2  Thank Travelin41126
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I have eaten at Drina Daisy many times since they opened and have never been disappointed. My favorite entree is the Sarma (cabbage roll), but have forced myself to branch out now and then and try new things, . They have some really unique items, along with vegetarian choices (which helps a lot when I go out to lunch with a friend who is a vegetarian!) Fordinka, the chef and owner with husband Ken, is from Bosnia and loves to make people happy with her food. They order specialty items from Europe to keep the food authentic, such as specialty sausages. And I cannot say enough good things about the bread, baked fresh daily. Although I am not a fan of lamb, friends who DO like it have told me the lamb dishes are excellent - roasted on a rotisserie all day, I would think it would be! In all of the times I've been there, I have never experienced slow service that I've seen mentioned, and even though the restaurant is fairly small, during busy times I have seen them utilize a second server. They love to give people an excellent experience because they know how important word-of-mouth recommendations are in a smallish town. I heartily recommend Drina Daisy for a unique and special lunch or dinner! I only marked "average" on outdoor seating because there was not an option for "not applicable," and I certainly did not want to say poor or terrible.

1  Thank Joni M
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Astoria has some pretty solid restaurants, more than most other towns of that size. As you would expect, seafood dominates the menus in those other stops. However, what you wouldn't expect out of Astoria is that the best restaurant for the last six-plus years is a restaurant that has no seafood on the menu at all.

Being a local for many years, I've tried them all. And even as new cafes and bistros open their doors seemingly every year to try to carve out their niche, I keep coming back to Ken and Fordinka's establishment.

The wine list features many offerings from the Southeastern European wine region, and is refreshed regularly. Ken is always more than willing to assist with a selection, as it's very likely that the list will feature labels unknown to most. Beers are also available, and they hold up quite nicely to other local offerings.

The food is outstanding. Throughout my many visits here I have dined across their entire menu, and at every stop I have found rich and flavorful meals that show the level of attention that Fordinka puts into her art. From the special smoked meats, pickled veggies, fresh fruit and bread, through the main course, and ending up with the baklava and Turkish coffee, I know that I can count on Drina Daisy to present a meal that will not disappoint. This is where I take my out of town guests who are up for a delightful culinary experience.

Reservations are always recommended, as it's been proven impossible to know when the place will be busy. You can just drop by, but don't be surprised if the place is busy. Other lovers of their cuisine keep this place busy, likely for as long as these two are willing to bless the area with their passion in the art of cuisine.