“Solid from the Day They Opened”

Drina Daisy Bosnian Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 101 Restaurants in Astoria
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Birch Bay, Washington
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Solid from the Day They Opened”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Astoria has some pretty solid restaurants, more than most other towns of that size. As you would expect, seafood dominates the menus in those other stops. However, what you wouldn't expect out of Astoria is that the best restaurant for the last six-plus years is a restaurant that has no seafood on the menu at all.

Being a local for many years, I've tried them all. And even as new cafes and bistros open their doors seemingly every year to try to carve out their niche, I keep coming back to Ken and Fordinka's establishment.

The wine list features many offerings from the Southeastern European wine region, and is refreshed regularly. Ken is always more than willing to assist with a selection, as it's very likely that the list will feature labels unknown to most. Beers are also available, and they hold up quite nicely to other local offerings.

The food is outstanding. Throughout my many visits here I have dined across their entire menu, and at every stop I have found rich and flavorful meals that show the level of attention that Fordinka puts into her art. From the special smoked meats, pickled veggies, fresh fruit and bread, through the main course, and ending up with the baklava and Turkish coffee, I know that I can count on Drina Daisy to present a meal that will not disappoint. This is where I take my out of town guests who are up for a delightful culinary experience.

Reservations are always recommended, as it's been proven impossible to know when the place will be busy. You can just drop by, but don't be surprised if the place is busy. Other lovers of their cuisine keep this place busy, likely for as long as these two are willing to bless the area with their passion in the art of cuisine.

• Visited October 2012

Sacramento, California
“Wow!”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

First of all, if you're in Astoria, go here, not somewhere else. Next order the house special roast lamb. It will knock your sox off.

• Visited May 2013
Portland, Oregon
“A touch of Old Europe...in Astoria”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Old world charm and food cooked with love.I'll admit I was a bit afraid of going....now I can say....I'll stop everytime I'm in Astoria. It's that good of an experience. Layer's of flavor served in a atmosphere thats calm and "Old World".

Visited May 2013
Placerville, California
“What is Bosnian food?”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

If Drina Daisy is any indication, Bosnian food is simple, fresh, unusual and, just plain, good. We never expected such a good restaurant in a smallish city in semi rural Oregon.

• Visited June 2013
Florida
“Pleasant Lunch Stop”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

It is open on Sunday, and we showed up near the end of the lunch service (we used the lunch menu). There is no break, the dinner menu picks up immediately after lunch. Only a couple other tables were occupied. We both ordered the roasted lamb and we were not disappointed. They know how to do that right! The wine menu was interesting and we had a nice bottle from the homeland. Plenty of fresh veggies and fruit came with the lamb. The atmosphere is pretty much low key old world. Street parking was easy and free on Sunday.

• Visited May 2013