“Owner ruined this restaurant for me”
Review of Casa de Tamales - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Casa de Tamales
Reviewed June 7, 2014

This is the second time I have reviewed this restaurant and I stand by what I said in my first review. The food is great and I like the decor, etc. However, I brought a friend with me for my second visit and we were made to feel uncomfortable from the moment we entered. We were the only two in the restaurant and got seated. Ordered a beer and margarita. The owner came out, took our order, checked my friends ID, which is cool, but while checking it started asking him questions about his birthday, etc. We didn't know if he was trying to be funny or not...we let it go. Then a little bit later, the owner came out and asked me where I was from, I told him Long Beach, then he left and my friend and I started chatting. The wonder came out again and asked me my name. I told him. Left and came back again, asked if I was a teacher or in construction....I told him that I worked in education, but was not a teacher. Then while we are trying to chat, he walks out of the kitchen and says, "Todd (my name), you owe me money". I said he was mistaken but he would not listen to me. He asked if I had been there before, and I had and he said that I didn't pay my bill. I told him again that he was mistaken, I would never do that. Then he said that maybe I didn't intend not to pay my bill, but my credit card didn't go through. I said, I didn't think that was correct, but told him that if it is the case I would be happy to pay my bill. He said he didn't have proof with him, it was at home but he would check. I told him I would check when I got home and if it didn't go through I would be back the next day to pay. I asked him how much it was and he said right around $30. I then told him that I know he is incorrect because when I was there I was with my whole family and a couple of friends and I spent around $150. He still said he knows he is right, so he was basically calling me a lier. All this is going on while a friend of mine are trying to eat. He even said he remembered talking to me when I was there before, and I told him that he was wrong, because I never talked to him. By now, I'm ticked but trying to stay calm and he won't leave us alone. He asked for my phone number and I gave it to him. He said that if he was wrong, he would call me and apologize and I would get my next meal for free. I told him If I was wrong I would be back the next day to pay, but i knew I wasn't wrong. I wasn't wrong. My credit card did go through. I decided to give him some time to apologize. It has been a couple of weeks now and he never called. I know he would have called if he was right, but he was wrong and he couldn't bring himself to admit it and he doesn't want to give me a free meal. This place was going to become my go to place when company was in town. I eat out a lot and I spend a lot when I eat out. He gave up literally $1000s in business because he thought I owed him $30...which I didn't. This was the worst dining experience of my life. I'm not saying the food was bad, because it isn't...in fact it is outstanding. But I have now talked to a lot of other people that say the owner has made them feel uncomfortable to..not to my extent, but very awkward. All he had to do was call and apologize..I don't care about the free meal...but he didn't and he ruined an afternoon for me and my friend.

5  Thank ilwacohawk

Reviewed May 31, 2014

This is a tiny but great restaurant. The homemade tamales are excellent, the bacon wrapped asparagus really yummy. The homemade salsa was a little hot for my tastes, but was fresh and good.

1  Thank ORFranP86
Reviewed April 5, 2014

I realize that my expectations for a Mexican restaurant are different having lived in New Mexico for many years but this restaurant didn't come close to what I would expect in a Mexican restaurant. My husband and I went on a Saturday afternoon. There was a family and a single at tables but no wait staff. We looked around for someone but could not find anyone. The single said someone should be out shortly so we took a seat. 5 minutes later a server brought out the family's food and noticed us there. After that the service was acceptable. I ordered a chile relleno and my husband ordered a pork and aspargus tamale. Chips and salsa could be ordered for $5 but we didn't need any. Our food was warm but the aspargus garnish on top was warm at one end and cold on the other. The black beans had no flavor. The rice was generic. The chile relleno had no seasoning and the creamy cheese sauce that was suppose to be on it was a green chile sauce--again very bland. My husband's tamale was mostly dough. The waiter asked if my husband had aspargus in his tamale which we thought was a strange question, but since my husband couldn't find any in the tamale, the waiter must have suspected it didn't. As we were finishing the owner arrived bringing in supplies. He propped the door open and left it open letting in the cold air. Then the family let their children ride the camel ride which was next to our table. Perhaps the ride should be moved away from the tables. Now we were cold and could no longer hear each other--time to leave. We will not return.

1  Thank SeaStar41
Reviewed March 29, 2014

This is a funky little restaurant in Astoria Oregon that comes from the Canby Asparagus farms. I'll start with the food. All the food was excellent. We went as a party of 4 with two kids and then two friends joined us. Everyone totally cleaned up their plates, even the two kids. The Margaritas were very well made, the bacon wrapped asparagus as an appetizer is a must. I hade the Chicken Enchilada, my partner had a veggie enchilada, son had steak tacos and daughter had cheese Quesadilla. Everyone raved about their meal. The presentation of the food was beautiful. The service was fun. It is a tiny restaurant. Our waiter had a wonderful personality, although a little awkward. He enjoyed his job and enjoyed the food that they prepared. He also took care of the kids. The décor is worth writing about also. It is very eclectic we totally enjoyed looking at all the "stuff" on the walls, from the action figures to the virgin Mary, to all the other odd choices for décor. Lastly, the kids loved writing on the pad of paper in the bathroom...Overall it was a great experience and this will become one of our regular places to eat in Astoria.

1  Thank ilwacohawk