“In A League Of It's Own!”
Review of Fulio's Pastaria

Fulio's Pastaria
Ranked #16 of 104 Restaurants in Astoria
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 27, 2012

Our most recent meal at Fulio's a couple of nights ago reminded me of what an awesome restaurant this is! It is truly the best Italian restaurant in the area. You can't go wrong with anything on the menu, I have a hard to time deciding what to get because everything is so good here. They offer a nice variety of dishes and everything we have ordered over the years has been excellent. A visit to a "not so great" place reminded me that is the only place we should go for Italian food in this area. :)

Reviewed January 23, 2012

My girlfriend and I took an impromptu trip out to Astoria for the night. We love the city and, even in the rainy winter, it has a lot of charm. The last time we were in Astoria we dined at Fulio's on a recommendation from our hotel so we decided to try it again.

We arrived at 6:30pm on a Friday night and it was about half-full. We were promptly greeted and led to a table. Our server was cheerful and attentive. We started with some drinks. I had a dirty martini that was perfectly made and she had a glass of white wine which was ok.

We started with an order of bread with oil and balsamic. The bread is a good quality but being charged $2 for 6 half-slices of bread is a little steep in my opinion. They also brought out a little serving tray of salt and pepper but it was just regular table salt and pepper. Some sea salt and fresh ground pepper would be a nice touch.

We also started with the charred caesar salad which was delicious. We ordered this last time and were not disappointed. It's basically a stalk of romaine lettuce that is lightly charred on their grill then lightly dressed and topped with some crumbled bacon. The charred flavor with the dressing is really great.

For entrees my gf had the butternut squash ravioli with curry cream sauce and I had that night's steak special which was a 12oz NY. Her ravioli was delicious and ample. The curry sauce plays very well with the sweet touch of squash and the richness of the gorgonzola cheese. We were both very happy with that selection. My steak on the other hand... not as much. It was a generously sized piece of meat but it was so charred that it totally overwhelmed the flavor. It was cooked to medium like I requested but was still pretty tough. I actually left about half of it on the plate because I couldn't take the charred exterior anymore. I have definitely had a "black and blue" steak before and know how it's done. This was almost about an 1/8" of char all around it. The garlic mashed potatoes on the side were nice though. Very creamy but maybe a little overly salted.

One complaint with the server is she did not ask me why I was leaving half of my steak on the plate which was pretty obvious. I don't like to complain while eating out but if she had asked I could have explained.

We decided against dessert.

Overall, I would go back and also recommend it to friends. The steak aside, the rest was pretty good. The decor is definitely... coastal. It's quaint and kinda kitschy but lacks refinement.

1  Thank deeleypdx
Reviewed December 29, 2011

i would recomend this resturant as a must visit when dining in Astoria! the menu has both traditional and original flavors. do enjoy a full 3 course meal to get all they have to offer, appetizers, main dish, and desert, the wine list is very good with both domestic and import wines, i guarantee if your a foodie at all this place will make you very full and happy

Reviewed November 27, 2011

Try the eggplant parmesian it is great. The Chicken Picatta was wonderful.

Reviewed November 16, 2011

As others have noted, this place looks small but is spacious and has a nice atmosphere. The fresh clams with linguine is an excellent dish to try, and the grilled romaine salad is absolutely the best!

This place is definitely worth a visit.