“What a find!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ship Inn

Ship Inn
Ranked #18 of 98 Restaurants in Astoria
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, British, Soups
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dallas, Texas
“What a find!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

We only spent one night in downtown Astoria and during a walk, noticed the inviting Ship Inn near the docks. The menu seemed a bit limited with a section that gave a nod to the UK and since our son was in England, we decided this was a sign. The fish 'n' chips, scallops and shrimp all sounded wonderful and looked great on others' plates but after eating only seafood for days we opted for a change. We had Shepherd's Pie and the Chicken Pasty - both most excellent choices! I was hesitate to order the pasty since my husband makes a stellar ground beef pasty but I was completely pleased with my order and cleaned it up. It was rife with freshly baked chicken and fresh mushrooms seasoned to perfection with a crust that was melt-in-your-mouth. My husband pronounced the Shepherd's Pie simply wonderful. We finished up with homemade Marionberry pie ala mode that we are still talking about. The inside may be a bit dated, but we don't care for the sterile generic chain restaurants and you can tell the wait staff has been there for years. It had an old-timey supper club feel and of course being right on the river made the sunset view of the passing ships really memorable. We've rated it very near the top of all of our meals on this two week trip.

astoria
“BEST fish n' chips!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

I had already heard to order seafood, chowder or traditional British food here so I went for the Halibut fish n' chips and they were AWESOME! Crispy, (not too greasy), fresh, tender on teh inside....really really good Fish n' Chips....Also, I ate some of my partners chowder (4.5 out of 5....the very best chowder is Charlie's Chowder House, like really the best) but the Ship Inn is better than most places....here, DON"T order off the rest of the menu, I haven't yet, but have heard....across the board, the seafood and traditional british dishes (different special each night) are delicious and reasonably priced! The other soups/dishes are just average. Service great, price great, SEAFOOD/CHOWDER great! OPh yeah, try to get a river view. Pub cozy on rainy days.

• Visited June 2013
Ridgefield, Washington
“Order the halibut and chips!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

I've been going to this place for years, and it hasn't changed. Yes, the décor is dated, it has bad acoustics but the halibut and chips, and the prawns and chips are some of the best I've ever had. I've suggested this place, and taken several people with me and they all love the food (always ordering the halibut and chips, or prawns and chips). Some other customers I talked to said the calamari there is the best they've every had. There is a nice view of the water.

• Visited June 2013
Seaside, California, United States
“Awesome sunset view”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

If you're here for the view, this place has it. That's the only memorable thing about this restaurant, an awesome sunset view. I had the baked halibut with rice and mixed veggies. The fish was dry and tasteless, the rice was just plain rice and the veggies had one cauliflower, a couple of broccoli and lots of carrots. We almost walked out because the place doesn't smell good, but decided to give it a chance. We should have followed our first instinct.

1 Thank Daniel G
Sheridan, Wyoming
“Great view, charming restaurant, prices are a little high”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

We all had the cod fish and chips and they were good, no better or worse than any I've had on the coast, the clam chowder was also good, the view is great, the prices are a little high for a family type restaurant, though -when you have multiple offspring to feed, $16 each for some fish n chips and chowder really adds up!

1 Thank misty_bee_Wyo