“Dissapointing, again.”

T Paul's Urban Cafe
Ranked #10 of 98 Restaurants in Astoria
Cuisines: American, Cafe, International, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Families with children, Kids, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Astoria, Oregon
“Dissapointing, again.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012 via mobile

Changes made in the preparation of the Thai Pasta have made the dish inedible. The Yakisoba noodles were undercooked and stuck together in a big gloppy mess. The sauce was way too sweet. The tuna was so overcooked I couldn't tell what it was. The vegetables were better suited to an italian dish- zuchinni, yellow squash, one tiny asparagus piece. This used to be one of my favorite places to eat but I couldn't even eat my food, it was so bad.

Seattle, Washington
“Terrific food and friendly staff but REALLY SLOW SERVICE”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

We arrived, ordered and waited almost 45 minutes for a few sandwiches to come out. Terrific taste and great, friendly staff. Just WAY too long to wait ofr lunch.

• Visited July 2012
Portland, OR
“charming”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

This cafe does have a hip, urban feel and had a wonderful guitar player the evening we were there. The service was very good, but the food rated only good. It wasn't bad, just OK.

We had 2 children with us and unfortunately the tables are very close together. I see this as a better place for adults than for kids.

• Visited July 2012
Woodland, Washington
“Didn't deliver”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2012

I had high hopes for this charming downtown cafe. With a great ambiance and friendly servers, it seemed we had come to the right place for some fresh, quality fare. I like to order seasonal dishes, particularly in "urban, hipster" type restaurants, where you can expect creative effort and well-prepared food. We started with a basil, mozzarella quesadilla for an appetizer, it was great! I ordered an asian seafood dish with yakisoba noodles. I was a bit hesitant about ordering, so I asked my server to give me the low down on the dish, to her credit, she told me that it wasn't the best, that people either loved it or hated it. She said that the sauce turned people off and offered me a sample of the sauce. I tried it, and it was tasty. I assumed the sauce could be a nice balance to a seafood dish, but I assumed that it would be used in moderation and with other seasonings as well. When the dish came out, it was smothered, swimming in the sauce. The dish had no balance of flavors whatsoever. Also, my promised "salmon medallions" were, instead, flakes of overcooked salmon. The five tiny steamer clams, were fresh, but I couldn't really taste them over the assault of the sauce, however, the three shrimp were well prepared, fresh, and tasty! I was able to finish my $3 worth of seafood, and left the $16 balance of noodles in the bowl. The dish was said to come with coconut flakes and another kind of nut, but those were no where to be found. For $19, I felt ripped off! I think that in sticking with more traditional and simple dishes, one would probably find more satisfaction in a meal from this urban cafe, but I don't plan to try that again. There are too many delicious restaurants in this town, and for the money, this one just doesn't deliver.

• Visited June 2012
Quito, Pichincha, Ecuador
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Visit from Afar”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

My girlfriend, Katy Puga and I chanced upon the Urban Cafe as we drove through Astoria during our vacation. We live in Quito, Ecuador, and we had flown up to Seattle in order to go to my son's graduation at UBC, Vancouver on May 25. After that, we took the opportunity (we don't go to the States very often) to drive around Washington and then Oregon, where we made it a point to visit the Tillamook Cheese Factory, which is kind of a pilgrimage for me - I love Tillamook cheese!

Anyway, on the way back to Seattle, we drove up the coast and around dusk on May 30 or 31, we passed through Astoria, but not before looking for place to eat. By chance, we drove down Commercial St. and we parked in front of the Urban Cafe and the Silver Salmon Grille. Katy picked the Urban Cafe by great good luck and that's how we got to know the Cafe, its great food, and an excellent waitress named Faith (hope I'm remembering her name right!).

As you can see, we didn't take notes, but as I recall, katy had a grilled rock cod and I had a chicken spinach salad. I DO remember having a cherry cream soda and we shared a big slice of coconut cream pie for dessert, these last two things, because we definitely do not have these them in Quito! The food arrived very soon after our order, the cod was hot, and the food delicious!

We remember Faith in particular because of her warmth, hospitality and helpfulness in steering us toward great food in the Cafe's menu - she was terrific, in short. I'm really hoping I remember her name right, but in any event, she's the only Cafe staffer who's studied a semester at the University of San Francisco in Quito, and with whom I left my business card!

We had a great evening at the Urban Cafe that night, thanks to Faith, the great cooks, and great ambiente in the Cafe. Saludos from Quito, Lars Klassen y Katy Puga

• Visited May 2012