“Upscale yet comfortable”

Cannery Pier Hotel
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Astoria
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 7, 2010

Stayed one night passing through town up the Oregon coast. Nice location with great views of the bridge and river. We had a king room on the third floor. Staff was friendly. Room was nice an very spacious. Soaker tub with window out to the view though I am not sure how much you would actually see. A little table if you want to eat in the room. Hot tub in the spa was a nice way to end the night. Chauffeured classic car ride was a very civilized way to get home at the end of the night. Bit pricey considering the cheaper cost of some of the neighbors, but a very nice experience overall. Continental breakfast was pretty good, lots of fruit and baked goods, cereal, etc.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Cannery Pier Hotel

Reviewed July 3, 2010

Stayed at the Cannery Pier for two nights with my 19 year old son. Rented the corner one bedroom suite. When we got there we had a choice of floors and a choice of an east or west corner exposure. I chose the 4th floor west corner. The room was wonderful. Hardwood floor with area rug in the entry hall and living area. Wrap around window exposure onto the river with a narrow partial wrap around ledge to walk out on. The bedroom had two windows which also look onto the water. As is stated in the website the bathroom has a jacuzzi tub which also looks over the water. They provide binoculars to view the passing boats which was fun. I also was able to catch two raccoons foraging in the small pools of water left when the tide went out mid morning. I did not get a chance to ride the bikes but saw others taking advantage of that perk. Everything was spotless. The staff were very accomodating and helpful with things to do. Spencer - our driver for dinner was also very helpful with options on what to do with our time. We went to The Baked Alaska Restaurant the first night. The food was very good and the waitress was extremely friendly and accomodating. My son had the scallops which he said were the best he's had (and he has had a lot of scallops in his time). We also had the calamari and oysters which were very good. I had sturgeon, also quite good. Back to the hotel - Rooms very quiet and the bed in the bedroom was very comfortable. The pull out couch needs an upgrade as the spings squeak and the mattress in somewhat worn. Everything else was first rate. I found a wonderful little nook on the second floor that had a very comfortable chair that overlooked the water where I spent a morning reading. The one disappointment was that there is no bellhop which I expected at a hotel of this caliber. I would definately recommend this hotel for anyone seeking a relaxing and spectacular view option.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 30, 2010

Good location right on the water with an amazing view of the river. Rooms were spotless and comfortable. Staff were eager to help and make recommendations for restaurants and activities. Wonderful experience!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 30, 2010

My husband and I along with two friends recently returned from a five-day road trip along the Oregon coast & Seattle. We had the pleasure of staying at the Cannery Pier Hotel in Astoria, Oregon for one night. This hotel was beautiful and the staff was absolutely amazing. We arrived later in the evening - around 8:30 PM - and were welcomed with smile & offered a complimentary glass of wine. The common areas were beautifully decorated - with a sitting area beyond the front desk and a quaint library beyond that. We were given a studio room on the first floor immediately next door to the guests we were traveling with. The room took our breath away the minute we opened the door. There was a gas fireplace in one corner, a beautiful king size bed in the middle, and a window seat overlooking the Columbia River which was literally underneath our balcony. We stepped out on the balcony and the river was at high tide, so the water practically touched the balcony. We were practically under the bridge - yet we weren't at all disturbed by any noise through the night. The bathroom was enormous, with a separate shower and a stand-alone, extremely deep, old-fashioned bath tub. Robes were already provided for those who enjoy that luxury. There was a table-for-two in front of the fireplace and a nice flat-screen TV if there was any desire to be connected to the outside world. A complimentary buffet breakfast was offered in the morning with waffles, cereals, fruits, etc. Once again, the staff was extremely accomodating. Our friends were commenting on the ships that had passed that morning outside our balconies and the staff overheard. Within minutes, one of the attendants provided us with a Shipping Schedule so that we could determine which ships were passing and when. Based on our experience, I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone and have high hopes of returing someday myself!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 27, 2010

ok, this place is literally right over the water on a pier in the Columbia River, near the Astoria bridge. it is a GREAT spot to watch all the boats go by, whether small fishing boats or HUGE tankers! very cool. the interior has a boutique vibe so you don't feel like you're in some anonymous Holiday Inn. It's pricey, but I thought I'd try it out for a couple of nights and I'm glad I did!

I think that it's actually quite reasonable if you factor in all the perks available to guests: nightly wine and cookies, breakfast in the morning, use of their cool classic cars to get around to restaurants and places in town, the cruiser bikes which you can ride around on the waterfront trail, and the hotel gym/sauna (free) and spa (pay extra for spa stuff, but it's RIGHT there!). not a bad deal then!

the room was nice - huge king bed, window seat looking out over the river, a little table for eating in case you get takeout, a beautiful bathroom with a huge clawfoot reproduction tub (great for a soak!) and a rain shower head. great! only complaint was the wet bar sink in the room (not the bathroom sink) which had CRAZY water pressure and a couple of times I sprayed a ton of water all over the counter trying to simply fill up my water glass. also the fridge down below the counter gets really hot on the outside (inside stays plenty cold) because it doesn't seem adequately ventilated.

I stayed in room 201 which is right near the lobby but i didn't hear a thing. Since it's on the end of the building you get an extra window to brighten up the room and give you more views out onto the river! The people at the front desk were very helpful in recommending restaurants to eat at and making reservations for us. they also gave us some tips about what to see on our drive out of town and back home. thanks for a nice, relaxing trip.

FYI breakfast is 7-10 each morning and wine reception 5-6. there's no room service food, just the continental breakfast down in the lobby where they have cereal, coffee, tea, milk, juice, pastries, toast + toaster, granola bars, and you can make your own waffles but when i went down around 9:30 there was no more waffle batter.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 26, 2010

This place is beyond. . . we had such a lovely stay that I am at our next hotel right now taking time out of our vacation to tell everyone to stay at Cannery. Beautiful property- modern, well decorated and designed, maintaining the integrity of the town's culture, just spot on. Free happy hour with wine, cheese, and lox. Free breakfast with waffles, fruit, yogurt, etc. Numerous sitting areas on two different floors overlooking the expansive floor to ceiling windows showcasing the harbor. This hotel is right on the pier- like on stilts in the water. The rooms have peek a boo shutters from bathroom to bedroom, clawfoot bathtubs, rain shower head, outdoor balcony looking at the water, fireplace adjusted by the thermometer. The friendliest staff you can find. Bikes available to take out on the seawall. Old Cadillacs to take you to your dinner reservation. All for free. Wouldn't stay anywhere else and would make the trip to Astoria just to stay here. I remember when booking contemplating between Cannery and Hotel Elliot. Don't wast your time. This place makes Hotel Elliot look like a dump- no comparison.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 18, 2010

My partner and I stayed at the Cannery Pier Hotel mid-June of 2010. What a delightful surprise! We found this hotel maybe 2 days before arriving for one Saturday night, and were accommodated with the last room they had left - first floor, and the pet - friendly suite. I was concerned about views and cleanliness - they had every detail covered, I was soon to find.

The pier itself is in a very fun location, and the bright red hotel is very easy to find. Every single room faces the Columbia River - and you can see Washington across the river, as well as where the Columbia River enters into the Pacific!! There are HUGE trawlers that glided right by our room, and sea lions swam by too! Good thing the hotel provided pretty nice binoculars - we used them quite a bit on the window seat! The small porch was nice. The rooms were VERY modern and well decorated - and we're young and used to staying in trendy, metro hotels. It was nice to find a quaint small place with no frills or lace. Of course, with views like the CPH has...they could get away with anything! I'm from Florida and thought we wouldn't need to use the gas-fireplace in the room, but we ended up loving it! What a place for lovers and romance. No kids here, didn't see one under the age of 15ish actually. I would NOT bring young children here.

Oh the beds were soooo soften as well as the linens. The bathrobes were not but eh, no big deal. The bathroom itself was to die for, even my boyfriend enjoyed the giant claw foot tub - because even the TUB has a view!!!!!!

Oh and the wine hour was verrrry yummy - both red and whites were good, and cute snacks. It was great that we timed it to leave for dinner right as we were finishing up wine. : )

The towncars were amazing and the driver sealed the small town deal - stopping to say hello to town locals, telling us stories of local lore and movies filmed there - it was great!! He dropped us off and picked us up from the Baked Alaska - their pre fixed menu was GREAT. : ) Our driver also let us know the best spots to see the sea lions, hikes, local beaches, etc.

The staff are TRULY wonderful. Friendly and helpful - actually like most of the people I've met in Oregon! Breakfast was more than enough and sooo yummy. Even with only one waffle machine, it was fine.

Overall...were young and poor but both agreed as we pulled out that the CPH was WORTH EVERY PENNY.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple