“Take a bath and watch the ships pass by... It's like your on the WATER!!”
Review of Cannery Pier Hotel

Cannery Pier Hotel
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Astoria
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Lovely place... The best part, in my opinion, was watching the huge ships pass by the window while I was soaking in the claw foot tub!
Super nice hosts, they gave us great dinner ideas and offered to take us into town in one of the "limos"!
Definitely take advantage of the on-site spa facilities, it makes the stay even better!
So if you are undecided about staying here, do not hesitate.. you will love it!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ditsmom
Write a ReviewReviews (1,257)

Reviewed May 12, 2014

We drove to Astoria not knowing what to expect and having no reservations for lodging. Thank goodness for tripadvisor! We pulled into a parking lot, checked the site to see what was recommended and picked Cannery Pier Hotel! We chose well!! We were greeted by the nicest staff and our room was beautiful! Our room was on the first floor and when we walked in, we felt like we were at water level! Amazing view of the Columbia River! The room was large, very clean and comfortable! I loved the binoculars in the room! So nice!! The wine and appetizers in the afternoon are very nice and I liked that they also served sparkling cider for those of us that may have allergic reactions to wine. My husband and I travel frequently for business and pleasure and Cannery Pier Hotel is definitely in the top five hotels we've stayed in!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Carol C
Reviewed May 11, 2014

I've stayed in numerous top-notch hotels, and the Cannery Pier Hotel easily ranks among the very best. What do I love about the Cannery Pier? Well, here are just a few things I can think of:
•Incredible setting on the water, fascinating history of the cannery
• Friendly and gracious service at the front desk
•Lovely interior design with a fresh, contemporary look
•My room! (More like a Junior Suite): The view (and the sounds of the seabirds), the balcony, the spaciousness, the wet bar with the basin sink and handy microwave and fridge, the comfy bed, the window seat, the binoculars, the free WiFi, the nice TV, the eco-friendly coffee, the fabulous bathroom with separate shower and tub, excellent toiletries, and the window so I can peek out from the tub and see river, the fireplace, etc., etc.
•Complimentary breakfast, cookies, and snacks
•Right near the beautiful riverfront walk and easy walk from the heart of downtown

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank Reade
Reviewed May 8, 2014

We recently stayed in mid April at the Cannery Pier Hotel. This was our first trip to Astoria and unfortunately the weather was not good - raining. Overall I think I expected more of Astoria and perhaps in the summer it has a different feel. The fact I was disappointed was more than made up by our stay at the Cannery Pier. I loved the window seat by the water and curled up there with a glass of wine reading and watching the boats go by. I would definitely recommend this hotel if your travels take you to Astoria.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are pretty much the same in other words no bad rooms as all have water view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 3, 2014

We recently visited The Cannery Pier for my husband's birthday and were very happy with this great hotel! The evening wine and cheese hour was a plus, as were the rooms, which have amazing views of the river and bridge, and we were lucky to see several barges pass through. We took a long walk along the riverside path and were rewarded with bald eagle sightings and the discovery of a new brewpub, The Buoy. We made stops at both the Ft. George Brewery and The Buoy, and enjoyed them both very much, as well as the fish and chips at Bowpicker. We will return!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank s_allenfam
Reviewed April 29, 2014

We stayed at the Astoria Cannery hotel for our Anniversary and had a wonderful time. We had a room with a River view on a higher floor - can't recall if it was top floor or not.

The room itself was very nice with a big soaking tub which was great. We haven't stayed in too many places in Astoria, but I would say this is the nicest place by far. The bed was very comfortable and the room was quiet the entire time. I imagine not too many children stay here, so you can rest easy that it will be a great experience.

This hotel is ON the river. So if you have a room facing the Columbia River (highly recommended) you could probably jump off the balcony straight into the water if you were so inclined (not as highly recommended). It was wonderful having a private view; we saw seals, birds, large ships, and didn't notice much noise from the Astoria Bridge. The balconies are pretty narrow; enough room to stand but that's about it. It would have been perfect if there was enough room for a small bistro table and chairs. I'd only drop half a star if possible for this.

Upon arriving there was a wine tasting which was excellent and no one was overly pushy about selling the wine on offer.

They offer spa services as well but we didn't try them.

The hotel also offers cruiser bikes which are free for guests to use. We rode up and down the river walk and rode them in to town at night to the bars.

One of the best services this hotel offers is their classic car chauffeur service into town! I believe they have a few rotating cars, but my favorite was the 1939 Buick with suicide doors. Service was great; just reserve a time to leave, they'll drop you off in style at the destination of your choice, and then you call them to pick you up with 15-20 minutes. It was really fun and totally complimentary.

Overall the Cannery is a great hotel that provides a luxurious, private experience while still being close to the Coastal WA/OR attractions.

Room Tip: Worth it to get a room with a River view, otherwise I'm not sure the overall hotel cost is worth...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ballard_12th_Man
Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

Loved the warm and friendly greeting, with treats for humans AND pets alike. We found the views from almost every window to be outstanding and the lobby very cozy. From there, we were surprised to find a small/mediocre quality spa, pergo flooring throughout, and cheap furnishings in our room. Hmmm. Why build such a landmark hotel and then choose to skimp on the finishes? Unlike many of Astoria's charming and historic homes, we're not so sure this building will stand the test of time.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple