“Informational and beautiful”

The Lewis And Clark National And State Historical Parks
Ranked #9 of 56 things to do in Astoria
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in the states of Washington and Oregon, these national parks preserve the historic sites that mark the success of Lewis and Clark in the early 19th century.
Reviewed October 24, 2011

This park was a beautiful and educational stop. It's a state park, so you have to pay to get in, but they have nice stops and beaches. There are many little trails you can take and a lighthouse to tour. The museum (which is another additional fee) is worth it! There are interactive exhibits about Lewis and Clarks journey across the West. We actually learned quite a lot that we never knew. We also bald eagles nesting in the trees near the museum!

1  Thank HHawk

Reviewed August 13, 2011

We made a last-minute decision on our way back to California to detour through this National Park. We loved it! The fort was interesting, the visitor's center had a great gift shop and excellent displays. We took the walk down to the canoe launch and it was a pleasant couple of easy, shady miles. The other trail is longer and more strenuous but hikers recommend it. We skipped it that day but really enjoyed our time here.

Reviewed July 29, 2011

Went to the National Historic Park at Fort Clatsop. The museum displays were interesting, and the recreated fort 100 feet from the building even more so. Lewis and Clark and their Corps of Discovery stayed there in early 1806. We walked the 200 feet to the canoe landing area, and there was a trail that continued on and looked inviting. This location had a particularly good gift shop, too, with quite a few recreations of the equipment Lewis and Clark used. The entry fees were very reasonable, since kids were free and adults were $3 each. Very pleasant wooded location and we were glad we stopped there.

1  Thank Joanne0810
Reviewed February 7, 2011

This was a fleeting decision to visit which turned out to be the funnest place to visit in this part of Oregon. The history was brought to life by the actors and fort. The Rangers were especially helpful in directing us in the proper direction for kids to enjoy the park.

1  Thank CentralCoastDiverSLO
Reviewed March 27, 2006

On Sunday March 26, 2006 I walked the new Trial from Sunset Beach on the Pacific Ocean to the newly (almost) reconstructed Fort Clatsop. It is a 6 and one half mile trip which I was able to do in two and one half hours. It is well worth all the effort. The trails are well marked with wooden bridges built over rivers and streams. The woods were alive with wild birds,flowering pink Salmon Berry bushes and white trillum. I was lucky as it did not rain,and oh what a wonderful experience. There are sections that are rather surreal, as you walk along the borders of a Gulf course and a cattle ranch with black cattle staring at you close enough to touch. Soon, I came upon a Presbyterian Church, Grey Memorail, with parishoners going to Sunday services with yellow daffodils all in bloom in front. Ducks and ravens greetd me, and I knew that someday, the second growth forest would look like the Ancient forest that Lewis, Clark,Scagawea and Charbonneau saw. I recommend it to all. I have gout, and I felt it the next day, but I figured, if not now, then never.What a wonderful experience! I am proud of our legislators and all who helped make this dream a reality. Go and see it. You will love it. Gabe Sheridan, Portland, Oregon

6  Thank GabrielSheridan