“Very good for the price”

Hong Kong Restaurant
Ranked #67 of 104 Restaurants in Astoria
Reviewed November 20, 2013

This is an old Chinese restaurant in an old Oregon town. Chinese people played a huge role in the early days of Astoria -- they truly did help to chart the history of the town. The food here isn't fancy -- what you'd typically expect to find in a "Szechwan/Cantonese/American" family restaurant. I do think the chef's skill with flavorings is way above average -- and, if you want hot, they will give you HOT!!
Honestly, the prices here can't be beat. I don't know why they still offer an enormous plate of food for $5.95 at lunch. My husband and I eat here regularly, and then we do another stir-fry meal at home with the mountain of leftover rice.
The service is nice, but sometimes there is a considerable language (which is quite charming, in my opinion). I hope they keep this old place going for a lot of years to come!

Reviewed October 14, 2013

this restaurant has the BEST crab puffs in the world. I had their beef and broccoli one time too and it was very good. They're pot stickers are also AMAZING. Every time we are going to the beach we make sure to stop by here.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Went back just to see if our first visit had caught the relief cook. Schezwuan beef consisted of tough beef strips battered and fried and then coated with a tarry, semi-sweet sauce. It was totally unlike the tender beef with a light, piquant, spicy sauce as we became accustomed to elsewhere. The cream cheese in the crab puffs might have rubbed up against crab meat during preparation, but no marriage was made and hence the puffs were devoid of crab flakes. Good onion seasoning and dip sauce, however. But it just was not crabby which is disappointing as Astoria is a hub of Dungeness crab fishing. Pork fried rice was also disappointing - a generous portion but without much pork, green onion, or egg and overly sticky. Waitress very hard to understand but attentive.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

's.We have been dining here since the 1970's. The people are friendly. The service is fast. The food is delicious. They are helpful with special requests, as we have a vegan, we asked for tofu, and they provided enough that there were 2 meals of leftovers. Mid day lunch is a bargain, but late night dinner is also very reasonably priced. The food and sauces taste genuine. We will continue to dine here!

Reviewed August 18, 2013

This place was the only game in town at 9pm on a Tuesday evening. My buddy and I went in and the place was pretty much deserted. Decor classic 1960's Chinese restaurant.

We each ordered a main course. Can't remember what my buddy ordered. i ordered a fu yung dish. It was the most unappealing sight I have ever seen on a plate: a couple of pork patties covered in light brown slime. It didn't taste any better than it looked. I took two forkfuls and left it.

I went hungry rather than eat. My buddy soldiered on and got half-way through his before admitting defeat.