“Would definitely stay here again”

Holiday Inn Express and Suites Astoria
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Astoria
Oregon
“Would definitely stay here again”
Reviewed July 27, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for one night on 7/22/14. It was our first time going to Long Beach so picked this hotel from the reviews here. I have stayed in many beach hotels before and know not to expect much. I thought this was a great hotel. It was clean, the room was a good size and the toiletries were from Bath & Body works - very cool. The bed was pretty comfortable, and they had a choice of soft or firm pillows. Also a note in the bathroom if you forgot anything (shave,deodorant, toothpaste...) they would provide a complimentary one. We also had a nice view of the water. We stayed on the 2nd floor - I think there were only 4 floors all together. It was quiet and we always found parking close by. It was a little drive into Long Beach, maybe 20 mins or so. The only thing I wasn't thrilled about was the price. I know it is prime season at the beach, but for over 200 a night I had to suck it up. All in all I would stay here if we are ever in this area again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
California
Reviewed July 27, 2014

What a great place! Friendly staff, fantastic rooms with terrific views, and within walking distance to restaurants. We loved sitting outside, watching the sunset, with the view of the bridge. We will definitely return!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Oregon
Reviewed July 24, 2014

The staff were very friendly and helpful. We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite, and never wanted to leave. The living area with fireplace, and the "master" bedroom has the most fantastic view of the Columbia River. Each bedroom has their own TV, the beds were comfortable. There is a kitchenette with microwave, refrigerator and sink. The living area was very roomy with comfortable furniture. Interesting, the TV in the living area is the smallest of all the TV's, which was a bit small for viewing considering the size of the room, but did fit perfectly above the fireplace, but we didn't care, just kept looking at the awesome view. Wish we had time to stay longer.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed July 22, 2014

we had not stayed before in Astoria and wanted to see the town, so we booked a couple nights stay at the holiday inn. we got a river view room,an it was great to look out over the water an bridge.the room was very clean and the bed was good but not great. the breakfast in the morning was good. the staff is very helpful. the best thing about this hotel is their location, you can walk the riverwalk right out the back door and go down town or take the trolley. we stayed for two nites and never used the car.

Room Tip: upper floors over looking river
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 816ronk816
Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

I spent a couple hours looking through reviews before booking our two nights here. I was completely impressed with the friendliness of the front desk upon check-in. Very helpful and thorough. Walking into the room I would have expected it to be inspected by Anthony Melcouri himself. Absolutely spotless!! Smelled fresh, that's what you get for staying in a completely SMOKE FREE hotel, which is a massive deal when you are a family of non smokers. I hate staying in hotels who say they are smoke free but allow smoking in other rooms, that is ridiculous because it makes the whole place stink. Holiday Inns, will probably have a customer for life! The room we stayed in was massive, room 102, end corner room on the bottom floor. Two beds but it was almost like they were in two different rooms. The couch was too small for my 6 year old to sleep in so we paid the extra money to have a roll away bed brought in. I loved the fact this room was stocked with a mini frig, microwave, and extra sink. They even had paper place settings in the closet in zip lock bags. Perfect to take with us on our picnic to Fort Stevens. We stopped at Safeway to pick up what we needed for our picnic lunch there. The pool and hot tub were nice, a decent size, but always feels small when there are lots of kids in the water. The breakfast was great!! I always make it a priority to find a hotel with a free hot/cold breakfast for our family. This one contained, yogurt regular and Greek, cold cereal, cinnamon rolls, sausage patties, biscuits and gravy, delicious omelets with eggs & cheese, pancake maker, bagels, muffins, toast, milk, OJ, Apple Juice, coffee. We will be back without a doubt! Top class all the way. I booked with another hotel from this chain in another city before even checking out. See you in Tacoma.

Stayed July 2014
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Very good hotel for the money though we did not get the room on the river that I had booked and the traffic noise in the room we did get was pretty loud till about 11pm and began again about 5am, but that being said the room was huge the staff was very nice and breakfast was the best we have had at a hotel in years, the view from the breakfast room is also great. would stay here again in a heartbeat but only on the river side.

Room Tip: riverside room only
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed July 10, 2014

On yet another business trip and stayed one night in this hotel in late June. Sure wish I had more business in Astoria because this hotel was awesome! The staff provided great service and even called me up when I got settled in my room to make sure everything was to my satisifaction. The room was very clean and spacious...I even felt a little guilty with just me in a room that is 1.5 times the size of a regular HiEx room. Fitness room was very nice as well and even had free weights (dumbbells) besides the usual universal gym. Bed was very comfortable and the followup breakfast was the normal HiEx fare but note that warm cookies are served in the evenings...*nom*...mmmhh. The hotel backs up against the Columbia river and there is a paved river walk with bridges that is just outside and you can follow up for at least a few miles. I noted metal train tracks in the path and apparently there is a city tour trolley that runs along the path in the summer months...nice! I noticed a patch of sand along the river also behind the hotel and the hotel staff told me it belongs to the hotel and is "the only beach in Astoria" and one can build a fire there and perhaps roast some s'mores there under the shadow of the tall Astoria bridge...interesting. The restaurants are a little bit pricey in my opinion ($10 for a lunch special ?!) but this is no reflection on the hotel and I don't know the town that well. Locals are very nice and friendly as I met a number of them on the river walkway whre they smile and say hello...quite refreshing from big-city folk. Overall, this place would be very pleasant for a family on a few days' vacation with plenty of interesting sights to see and relax later at this peaceful hotel.

Room Tip: With me on a business trip, I wasn't given a river-facing room (shucks), but please ask for a ro...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business