“Um, breakfast.....”

Holiday Inn Express and Suites Astoria
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Astoria
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Monica was awesome. She explained everything, in detail, and in case I got overwhelemed, sent me to my room with a map and several sheets of paper describing Easter breakfasts in the area). I arrived at 10:30am and my room was ready. We were all astounded. But then we found out that Tripadvisor did not pay for the pet fee even though I confirmed several times with the rep that it was paid. Anyway, the room was ready at 10:30 am, several hours prior to check-in time. Yay!

First sensation upon entering my room: cleaning smells, chemicals, deodorizer. BUT the room was several hours prior to normal check-in, so I didn't mind. Chemicals dissipated after a couple of hours. Gorgeous views, imbecile room. I couldn't find THE BLACK-OUT CURTAINS so I called the front desk. A guy answered, and told me where they were. It sounded like he answered a lot of those kinds of calls. I almost hung up but I heard, "Is everything else all right with your room?" That was very cool. He still wanted to make sure everything else was all right. He didn't need to ask that question at all, and we'd both be happy. But he asked it. And I said, "It's perfect." End of conversation. I went to an Indian Restaurant (awesome, too, btw) and brought the food back, only to find it lacked silverware or plates. I asked the same front-desk guy for a bowl and spoon. He said, "I'll get it right away." He walked away 2 paces, turned back and asked, "It there anything else you need?" It was like he was searching me for a problem so that he could fix it. This guy is definitely made out for hospitality. Unfortunately for us, he'll probably end up a brain surgeon. The good ones always do.

Exercise room made me laugh. I should have researched it more. 3 cardiovascular machines. I had planned on walking Astoria instead of driving it. I didn't need cardiovascular machines, I needed weights. There weren't any. And the swimming pool was what you expect from a hotel... "made for families and not for atheletes." But that's cool. I saw families enjoying it during my stay. Everything was clean and orderly.

River front trail was nice, just outside the hotel. Trolly was nice, but finished at 6pm when I was only beginning. If I had more time, I would have taken advantage of it. $2 for round trip/all day actually. It stops right outside the hotel.

And Veteran's Memorial for Veterans who were also connected to the sea. That's right outside, too. Very nice.

Grass was mowed and well-cared for, though the rain made the ground quite soggy. The grass, of course, alleviated much of it. I appreciated it. My pug appreciated it even more.

Restaurants at a 10 minute walk away, or 2 minutes by car. Very convenient.

Then came BREAKFAST. This is my "but" about the whole thing. I walked into the dining room and saw all the tables adorned with tulips. Beautiful and inviting and they definitely put thought into this. Then I came upon the scrambled eggs. A half-pan of scrambled eggs that appeared to have been broiled after being cooked. There were black spots on top of the eggs. The sausages were turkey-sausages which I very much appreciated, but they were crispy. Crispy as in you-need-a-knife-to-cut-them crispy. All of the gorgeous juices were burned away. Biscuits and gravy were standard, hotel-fare. My cooked breakfast was, in a word, TERRIBLE. Capital letters and all. There is no comparison. No one with authority should have let that cooked food out.

Here's my other "but". They had everything else, in perfect order and perfect condition: cereals, milk, juices, fruit, breads, bagels, on-demand pancake-maker, sauces, condiments, ... impeccable in that regard. Coffee was delicious. Scenery fabulous.. They expanded their dining room. No standing against walls, or eating in the lobby any more.

An extremely high-priced hotel for me, individually. $175 for one night. But it was a once-in-a-lifetime treat I was giving myself. I love the place and will go back. But the chef should be taught about how things are supposed to be made. It's a chain, so the chef should have had proper training.

I gave it a rating of 5. The chef's "but" really wasn't too big a deal compared to the whole experience.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Qaedon

Reviewed April 17, 2014

I have stayed in many Holiday Inn Express hotels for business around the Northwest. This is by far the best of them. Very nice lobby and public area with nice artwork. The room was large and had a great view of the bridge and Columbia River. Bed was very comfortable. Had a fireplace. Room seemed to stay pretty warm even with the heat off and window open the crack that was allowed. Very little noise from bridge or road. The breakfast was a nice spread and had more options than many of the other hotels offering breakfast. Overall, very impressed and would stay here again.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room in the back overlooking the Columbia
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 16, 2014

We loved our stay, a great river view, nice clean room, and an excellent breakfast. We were here for four nights just to relax and unwind. It was perfect. Sitting at the window watching the ships go by was just what we needed. The staff is friendly and helpful. We recommend the Holiday Inn Express all the time. Can't wait to come back.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed April 16, 2014

*Our room had a smokin' view of the Astoria-Megler Bridge, so that was a bonus. *

PROS:

1. Big room, tons of space.
2. The Bathroom was amazing and the shower was to die for. I swear I am buying that shower head for my house. (Kohler)
3. Great hot breakfast in the morning. Bacon, Biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs, hard boiled eggs, sausages, cereal, milk, juice, the list goes on. Great breakfast.
4. Staff was extremely helpful and friendly.
5. The location cannot be beat. Right on the Astoria Riverwalk, so if you want to go for an evening stroll, you are right on the river front.

CONS:

1. You won't want to leave.
2. The elevator is a bit sllloooowwwwww.
3. The TV is kind of small.

That is it. I really had to think about something negative, these three petty, stupid things were all I could think of.

Overall, we enjoyed it. Great place. Would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view. The view is awesome. Do it. :-)
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Normally I will only make reservations at hotels that I can cancel without penalty. The Holiday Inn in Astoria does not offer this option, but its location convinced me to take the risk. It was absolutely worth it. I was placed in a north facing room, which was toward the river. The peacefulness of the river, along with the in-room fireplace and whirlpool tub, made made my stay the ultimate in relaxation. The room was very clean and the hotel staff was very helpful. All of this with and being within walking distance of several very good restaurants means this will be the place I stay the next time I am in Astoria.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 4, 2014

Our second stay at this hotel and again felt that it was worth the cost. Recommend getting the river view room. You can relax with viewing the shipping traffic as well as nice sunsets when the weather permits. The hotel is situated on the astoria trolley line so it's easy to get around town for sightseeing. The river walk is also located just outside the hotels back door. Both times we have stayed here we have found the rooms to be clean and well taken care of. There is a nice pool and exercise room as well as a game room for kids to enjoy. The breakfast is the usual holiday in fair with no complaints. We well definitely stay here again.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 3, 2014

We go to the Seafood and Wine festival each year and its coming up in a couple of weeks. We usually stay at the Holiday Inn Express. It has a great view a cozy fire place in your room and a pretty decent breakfast. Unfortunately this year they are all booked up and we will have to stay in a motel due to no one in town having openings. Next time we will call earlier you think we would know by know. Darn

Room Tip: ask for ocean view
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express and Suites Astoria, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2014

Dear Ruta M,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. We strive to ensure all of our guests needs are met and we are pleased to know you enjoyed your stay. We are glad that our accommodations and breakfast were to your liking. Comments as yours motivate us to work much harder in order to deliver the service levels that our guests are looking for when they stay with us.

Thank you again for your review and we hope to welcome you again soon.

Karen C