“Too close to busy, loud street.”
Review of Hotel Elliott

Hotel Elliott
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Astoria
Reviewed April 7, 2010

I stayed in su. 301. Windows do not block out the sound from the busy traffic it's next to. Way too LOUD!!! I would never stay here again. The maids were not consistent with giving packages of coffe everyday. Nor did we recieve clean towls or clean cups every day. The bed was hard. There was no bar open. Had contenental breakfast nothing fantsy. The pull out bed in couch was even harder. hotel had a old smell to it, you could smell rite away.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
4  Thank deanCo_

Reviewed January 11, 2010

I checked in later in the evening and took the stairs up to my 3rd floor room. The polite young man at the desk, the cozy lobby, cool old staircase and clean, quite hallway made a good first impression. My room was nice, smaller, but plenty of space to store my clothes and a big bed with classy deep red coverlet and more pillows than one could use! The bathroom was clean and stocked with Aveda products. There was a built-in bookcase with take one, leave one books by the gas fireplace. On the desk there was a basket of snacks that you could buy for reasonable prices and the lighting and window treatments were unique and useful. When unpacking, I found that someone had forgotten a pair of shorts in the back corner of one of my drawers, so I took them down to the desk so they could be returned to the previous guest of that room. The young man at the desk started apologizing profusely and offered to upgrade my room because he felt it was so unacceptable and embarrassing that I had to deal with that. Seriously, it was no big deal and could easily be missed, I wasn't complaining, I just wanted to try to get them back to the owner because I would hope someone would try to help me if I accidentally forgot something of mine. But, I took the upgrade, why not? The top floor room was awesome. It had a jacuzzi tub in the mosaic tiled, heated floor bathroom. Plus a walk in shower and even MORE Aveda products. A full sitting room that felt like your cool aunt's living room. Two TVs, one a small flatscreen you could watch in the amazingly comfortable bed. The drapes covered my four giant windows facing the bay and the beautiful historic town well, so that it was nice and dark for sleeping like the dead. Loved the Keureg (sp?) coffee machine and the back lit cedar lined closet. The roof is great for the view and would be a fun place to hang out if you were traveling with companions. The complimentary breakfast in the morning was downstairs and pretty darn good, cereal, pastries, bacon and eggs, fruit and juice, milk and coffee. Checking in and out was a breeze...and all this for less than $100!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank MeAndDrake
Reviewed November 2, 2009

Hotel Elliott is a place to check out, had great time with my husband as we stayed the night. The staff was very friendly, even the Manager greeted us when we arrived. The rooms are on the small side, but they were very clean, and well appointed. The hotel is located right in the downtown area of Astoria so you can walk to about anything you want. There is no restaurant on site but quite a few within walking distance. When at the hotel check out the roof top were you can see all over the city, it would be the perfect place to sit back and relax.

We will come back to stay again!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Gooberlean
Reviewed October 2, 2009

Hotel Elliott is amazing amazing amazing and a must stay during your visit to Astoria. It is a renovated historic hotel with all the gorgeous charm remaining. Rooms are impeccable, as is the guest service. Bonus #1....a gorgeous rooftop (outdoor) deck to sit on lounge chairs and sip a drink, complete with a firepit to keep you warm! Bonus #2, the COOLEST lounge/bar area in the basement of the hotel with an old cigar room like appeal.

You will not regreat your stay at Hotel Elliott.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank PortlandORChristine
Reviewed September 22, 2009

On our trip to the Pacific Northwest, my husband and I decided to spend a night in Astoria, OR. We found Hotel Elliott by looking through the Fodor's travel book and decided to give it a try. We were pleasantly surprised! It's a very nicely restored historic hotel in downtown Astoria -- great location. Our room was wonderful, newly remodeled with very nice furnishings. The bed was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in, and the bathroom was beautiful, large, with granite countertops, nice towels, Aveda products furnished, and clean, clean, clean! The breakfast the next morning in the cozy downstairs restaurant was also very good, with a very friendly waitress! My only regret was that we were only there for one night. We would definitly recommend the Hotel Elliott for your stay while in Astoria.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pam E
Reviewed September 14, 2009

We usually stay down on the Columbia River when we travel to Astoria, but a discount coupon and our daughters expression of delight when we visited The Hotel Elliot on our last trip prompted us to take the splurge and spend a few nights in Astoria's luxury hotel.

Overall we had a blast once we got settled in. Our first room was a suite on a lower floor on the front of the building which we deduced would be too noisy given this was summer and we like the windows open. One thing we've learned from traveling to San Francisco is that you need to be aware of a room's potential for noise, not only when you check in, but over the next several hours. Seemingly calm areas can get noisy at other times of the day.

The front desk staff happily allowed us to browse the other available rooms and we picked one on a higher floor, which put us that much closer to the hotel's secret perk, the rooftop veranda, complete with Adirondack chairs and propane firepits.

Other than a strange stain on our sheets discovered on our first night, the stay was very nice. Every evening we would steal away up to the rooftop to discretely roast some marshmallows over the propane fires as we huddled against the chill. This is the Oregon coast after all and by 10 oclock or so the days heat has left and a chill fills the air.

In the morning we were sure to go down to the basement where a wonderful breakfast was available, ably presided over by one of the most enjoyable examples of hotel staff you're likely to encounter. THis woman's cheery 'hellos!' to everyone who arrived were interspersed with her rushing around refilling this coffee carafe or that bowl of fruit or checking on the condition of the belgian waffles she pushed on every bleary eyed visitor.

Just coming down for a cup of Joe would be worth it in order to be exposed to this woman's boundless energy! The spread itself was pretty extensive, and slightly changing on a daily basis, as our waffle cook told us she would check the local outdoor market, which convenes on the weekends in the neighboring parking lot [free for hotel guests BTW] for fresh items to add to the buffet. We enjoyed fresh berries and yoghurt which I loved to spoon over the waffle in lieu of syrup.

My only gripe is that for a four-star hotel charging what they do for a room, the least they could do is stock toothbrushes at the front desk. Perhaps this is just a dated practice, but I don't like packing a wet toothbrush back and forth and rather expect the front desk to provide toothbrushes gratis. They do however offer ethernet cables since there is no wireless in the rooms, and all front desk staff were very pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank SeattleRafael
Reviewed September 6, 2009

The first time my husband and I stayed was in March of 09. The room was very sexy, but lacked in cleanliness. We were given a free night because the room was filthy, but on our return stay it was worse than the first time.

Great lighting, great fireplace, great hot tub. However there was a dirty coffee pot and a spoon on the counter with coffee stain beneath it. There was a lot of dust and crude along the sink where the coffee pot and sink sat. Also the gas fireplace was covered in dust. As well, the towel rack and the lights in the bathroom were covered in dust. The spare roll of toilet paper was moldy.

We complained and were told that they were changing cleaning staff and the supervisor didn't get a chance to oversee the room, we given a certificate for a free night.

In May we decided to try the motel again. We made reservations told the clerk about our free night certificate. Upon arrival we were told we couldn't use the certificate because it was Scandinavian Fest, which they failed to let us know when we made the reservation. So my husband paid the $425.00 and we went to our room.

Since the room was dirty the previous time, I immediately went to the bathroom to inspect. The hot tub had water spots all the way around the marble top, you could see where the basket of soaps sat due to the water spot around it. The top of the hot tub hadn't even been wiped with a towel. I looked down inside the hot tub and found several pubic hairs stuck to the filter. I showed my husband and he decided to just clean it himself rather than complaining again. When he lifted the toilet seat to throw the pubic hairs in, we saw that the toilet hadn't been cleaned either. There was bright yellow urine drips all the way around the rim of the toilet. Like a gas station bathroom.

At that point I was disgusted and stormed down to the front desk. I told the clerk, who tried to hush me so the other guests wouldn't hear me. I had to stand waiting for the manager for 15 minutes until I rudely walked myself into her office and told her if she didn't come rectify the issue I would tell every guest in the motel about the urine drips on the toilet and pubic hair in the filter.

She came to our room and and saw the urine & the uncleaned hot tub. She said she would personally watch the housekeeper clean it and she would also go ahead and honor the free night certificate.

We didn't get a breakfast as advertised because the restaurant was under repair. They didn't try to accomodate with a certificate to eat elsewhere, not even a piece of toast in the lobby, or even a cup of coffee... nothing.

Also note that parking is not secure, but in an empty lot around the corner and across the street from the hotel.

The following Monday I called to tell the owner about the issues, but he has never returned my call.

I wouldn't return to this hotel if it were free.
Pam