“THE BEST PLACE TO STAY IN ASTORIA!”
Review of Hotel Elliott

Hotel Elliott
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Astoria
Reviewed October 2, 2009

Hotel Elliott is amazing amazing amazing and a must stay during your visit to Astoria. It is a renovated historic hotel with all the gorgeous charm remaining. Rooms are impeccable, as is the guest service. Bonus #1....a gorgeous rooftop (outdoor) deck to sit on lounge chairs and sip a drink, complete with a firepit to keep you warm! Bonus #2, the COOLEST lounge/bar area in the basement of the hotel with an old cigar room like appeal.

You will not regreat your stay at Hotel Elliott.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank PortlandORChristine

Reviewed September 22, 2009

On our trip to the Pacific Northwest, my husband and I decided to spend a night in Astoria, OR. We found Hotel Elliott by looking through the Fodor's travel book and decided to give it a try. We were pleasantly surprised! It's a very nicely restored historic hotel in downtown Astoria -- great location. Our room was wonderful, newly remodeled with very nice furnishings. The bed was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in, and the bathroom was beautiful, large, with granite countertops, nice towels, Aveda products furnished, and clean, clean, clean! The breakfast the next morning in the cozy downstairs restaurant was also very good, with a very friendly waitress! My only regret was that we were only there for one night. We would definitly recommend the Hotel Elliott for your stay while in Astoria.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pam E
Reviewed September 14, 2009

We usually stay down on the Columbia River when we travel to Astoria, but a discount coupon and our daughters expression of delight when we visited The Hotel Elliot on our last trip prompted us to take the splurge and spend a few nights in Astoria's luxury hotel.

Overall we had a blast once we got settled in. Our first room was a suite on a lower floor on the front of the building which we deduced would be too noisy given this was summer and we like the windows open. One thing we've learned from traveling to San Francisco is that you need to be aware of a room's potential for noise, not only when you check in, but over the next several hours. Seemingly calm areas can get noisy at other times of the day.

The front desk staff happily allowed us to browse the other available rooms and we picked one on a higher floor, which put us that much closer to the hotel's secret perk, the rooftop veranda, complete with Adirondack chairs and propane firepits.

Other than a strange stain on our sheets discovered on our first night, the stay was very nice. Every evening we would steal away up to the rooftop to discretely roast some marshmallows over the propane fires as we huddled against the chill. This is the Oregon coast after all and by 10 oclock or so the days heat has left and a chill fills the air.

In the morning we were sure to go down to the basement where a wonderful breakfast was available, ably presided over by one of the most enjoyable examples of hotel staff you're likely to encounter. THis woman's cheery 'hellos!' to everyone who arrived were interspersed with her rushing around refilling this coffee carafe or that bowl of fruit or checking on the condition of the belgian waffles she pushed on every bleary eyed visitor.

Just coming down for a cup of Joe would be worth it in order to be exposed to this woman's boundless energy! The spread itself was pretty extensive, and slightly changing on a daily basis, as our waffle cook told us she would check the local outdoor market, which convenes on the weekends in the neighboring parking lot [free for hotel guests BTW] for fresh items to add to the buffet. We enjoyed fresh berries and yoghurt which I loved to spoon over the waffle in lieu of syrup.

My only gripe is that for a four-star hotel charging what they do for a room, the least they could do is stock toothbrushes at the front desk. Perhaps this is just a dated practice, but I don't like packing a wet toothbrush back and forth and rather expect the front desk to provide toothbrushes gratis. They do however offer ethernet cables since there is no wireless in the rooms, and all front desk staff were very pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank SeattleRafael
Reviewed September 6, 2009

The first time my husband and I stayed was in March of 09. The room was very sexy, but lacked in cleanliness. We were given a free night because the room was filthy, but on our return stay it was worse than the first time.

Great lighting, great fireplace, great hot tub. However there was a dirty coffee pot and a spoon on the counter with coffee stain beneath it. There was a lot of dust and crude along the sink where the coffee pot and sink sat. Also the gas fireplace was covered in dust. As well, the towel rack and the lights in the bathroom were covered in dust. The spare roll of toilet paper was moldy.

We complained and were told that they were changing cleaning staff and the supervisor didn't get a chance to oversee the room, we given a certificate for a free night.

In May we decided to try the motel again. We made reservations told the clerk about our free night certificate. Upon arrival we were told we couldn't use the certificate because it was Scandinavian Fest, which they failed to let us know when we made the reservation. So my husband paid the $425.00 and we went to our room.

Since the room was dirty the previous time, I immediately went to the bathroom to inspect. The hot tub had water spots all the way around the marble top, you could see where the basket of soaps sat due to the water spot around it. The top of the hot tub hadn't even been wiped with a towel. I looked down inside the hot tub and found several pubic hairs stuck to the filter. I showed my husband and he decided to just clean it himself rather than complaining again. When he lifted the toilet seat to throw the pubic hairs in, we saw that the toilet hadn't been cleaned either. There was bright yellow urine drips all the way around the rim of the toilet. Like a gas station bathroom.

At that point I was disgusted and stormed down to the front desk. I told the clerk, who tried to hush me so the other guests wouldn't hear me. I had to stand waiting for the manager for 15 minutes until I rudely walked myself into her office and told her if she didn't come rectify the issue I would tell every guest in the motel about the urine drips on the toilet and pubic hair in the filter.

She came to our room and and saw the urine & the uncleaned hot tub. She said she would personally watch the housekeeper clean it and she would also go ahead and honor the free night certificate.

We didn't get a breakfast as advertised because the restaurant was under repair. They didn't try to accomodate with a certificate to eat elsewhere, not even a piece of toast in the lobby, or even a cup of coffee... nothing.

Also note that parking is not secure, but in an empty lot around the corner and across the street from the hotel.

The following Monday I called to tell the owner about the issues, but he has never returned my call.

I wouldn't return to this hotel if it were free.
Pam

hypemedia@gmail.com

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
7  Thank HypeMedia
Reviewed September 5, 2009

My wife and I welcomed our firstborn son just under two months ago, and as delightful as the little man is he does have his moments. We live here in locally, and wanted to get out of the house and relax a little. So we chose the Hotel Elliott...

Rest ~ The beds live up to all the hype and as a testimony my wife throughout our stay was singing praises to that effect. Along with the comfy bed came a cozy atmosphere from the local art on the walls, the fireplace, and even a pair of antique spyglasses to for scoping out the Columbia River!

Relaxation ~ I've heard it's been said that the colors green and blue have a calming affect on people. As we were enjoying the before mentioned atmosphere, we glanced out the window and started relaxing. Haha Nestled in the heart of the Astoria downtown we had a gorgeous view of the beautiful blue Columbia River with the ever so green Washington forest as a backdrop. My wife isn't much for "roughing it" in the wilderness, but with the natural beauty that was just a look away and still having the luxury of sophistication did just the trick for a night of relaxation.

I mentioned overtones in the title, and I'm happy to say they came from the staff. From check in to check our front desk clerks were gracious and pleasant. Before we went up for the night the clerk even offered to make us hot chocolate!
The great atmosphere, the fantastic beds, and the ever so pleasant staff all came together and enticed us as a new family to take a load off and enjoy each other in the beautiful town we call home.
Thank You Hotel Elliott!!!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank angelwings5
Reviewed August 30, 2009

Our stay at the Hotel Elliott began with lost reservations...for three members of our party, the parents of the bride, the father of the groom and an uncle. We did not get the suite we had reserved but instead were given a room with no closet (I had to hang a wedding dress and 6 tuxedos around the television cabinet), that was about 100 degrees when I walked in because of no air conditioning. That room was so small that there was not even room to open your suitcase unless you set it on the bed. Perhaps I could have dealt a little better if anyone had even tried to care. They sort of apologized, but said there were no other rooms available. After my husband got involved later, they miraculously found a suite that we could move into the next day. So we did. When we got there, someone else's clothes were in the bureau. My husband moved them into the closet and put his there. There was still coffee in the pot and grounds in the filter. The next morning as we were getting ready for the wedding, all my husbands clothes had disappeared from the bureau. Housekeeping had come in to retrieve the other man's clothes and took my husband's instead. Now, I can understand them wanting to get the other man's clothes, but you would think they would call us and let us know they were doing that! We could have told them where to find them. But, no phone call. I called them to find out and then they returned my husband's things. So, yes, he had clean underwear for the wedding. We had two nights in this room, also with no air conditioning. We had all the windows open which gave us a great wake up call at 5 am when the local garbage collectors are on their rounds. Lovely!! Our fourth night, we were demoted again to a smaller room, though this one had a closet and ceiling fan and air conditioning. But no towels. When we questioned housekeeping we were informed that "they ran out of towels".
They gave my daughter's room key to some one else for the "bridal suite", charged them for an extra room for his dad.
Those are the details, but generally, I will never return to this hotel and would never recommend it. The management seems to be missing, the staff incompetant and uncaring.
In all fairness, they did comp us two nights, but then tried to deny that at first when we checked out because the computers were so slow that morning.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
8  Thank lgkoch
Reviewed August 22, 2009

My husband and I decided to treat ourselves to a stay at the Hotel Elliot as we had run away (at the ages of 60 and 62 respectively!) to get married in Astoria. My husband's originally from Oregon, his grandmother was raised in Astoria and he was very close to her, so ...

Seriously, what a rip off with a few Art Deco frou-frous to 'justify' its 'boutique' status. It cost us $189 + tax for a tiny room with no a/c, next to no storage and an iron that dripped all over my 'wedding dress'. The bed was no more comfortable than one you'd find at any Best Western at a much lower price. The place seemed to be staffed by willing but harrassed high school kids on vacation. And the only cups offered at a very skimpy continental breakfast were styrofoam. When we asked for china, two mugs were produced - the only two available.

Best Western for us next time! The Astoria one may look like a maximum security prison, but you know what you're going to get. There is nothing that annoys me more than something with no style pretending to be stylish.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple