“What a gem in Astoria...” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Elliott

Hotel Elliott
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Astoria
Portland, Oregon
“What a gem in Astoria...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2005

Just returned from a lovely weekend at Hotel Elliott. This is a wonderful boutique hotel in an up and coming town on the Oregon Coast. I can't say enough about the "feel" of this property.
The hotel is set in the center of town and within walking distance of galleries, shops and restaurants. Options for restaurants are not tremendous, but you do not need to look any further than across the street at The Schooner. The food is great, service "low key" friendly and down to earth. The hotel itself has been renovated and retains a strong sense of it's original character. Some original doors, windows, etc., but all the comforts and modern amenities one would expect at the best hotels.
We stayed in a two room river view suite and the comfort was just amazing. The attention to detail is nice, pendleton blankets, aveda bath products, heated bathroom floors, DVD/CD players, fireplace in living room, just overall a wonderful hotel room.
In the rainy weather of winter in Astoria, the Hotel Elliott shines like a beacon.
Oh...I must mention the "wonderful beds". The beds are truly "wonderful". The linen is some of the best I have seen in my travels and in working in hotels for eight years. 440+ thread count sheets. Really nice.
If your travels take you to the Astoria area, don't miss this property. Keep up the great work...

• Stayed December 2005
7 Thank blue5959

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2005

Our visit to the Hotel Elliott was wonderful and reminded us of the many small five star hotels we have stayed at around the world. We were warmly welcomed by the staff upon our entrance to the well appointed lovely lobby. As in the old world tradition our bags accompained us to our room, the gas fireplace was lit and the heated bathroom floor was turned on. Wine was offered and we were made to feel as if this was our home. The main room was very well appointed and the bed was out of this world.! The decor from furnishngs to window dressings are designed to provide both beauty and funciton while maintaning the historical ambiance . The room service menu was truly gourmet as were several of the sourounding resturants. The Hotel Elliott is a beautifuly restored hotel which maintains traditional old world charm with modern technology.
Since the hotel is in the center of the resurgence of historic Astoria there are many wonderful little shops, museums and fantastic resturants a few steps away. We also enjoyed walking along the waterfront.
The next time we visit this wonderful little city we will again stay at the Hotel Elliott.
Karen and Bill

• Stayed November 2004
3 Thank maggielee
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2005

Always a bit skeptical about staying in a "historic rehab" hotel, the Elliott is truely amazing! Elegance in the "club suite" is rarely matched in hotels that are twice the price. And the HEATED bathroom floors are quite enjoyable in the morning (5am - even on vacation). The managers - a young husband and wife team - have done an excellent job building their staff - efficient, friendly and helpful. The Sunday street faire in front of the hotel was fun and the town has a charm that is hard to find on the north coast. My girlfriend and I enjoyed the stay so much, we are talking about having our wedding and reception at the hotel.

I highly recommend The Hotel Elliott to anybody looking for fun at the coast and want a comfortable, friendly place to stay.

• Stayed September 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2005

My "luxury suite with fireplace" turned out to be a cramped little room with a tiny gas space heater that never worked. There was a live rock band outside our window that played all day and until 10PM. Ok if you like loud rock music not OK if you came for peace and quiet. The block party outside was never mentioned when I made my reservation. The rock band was replaced by diesel engines and clanging pipes at 5AM as the farmers market set up outside our room. The bathroom had a nice Jacuzzi and a heated floor. The room had worn cheap furnishings. Not antiques, I'm talking about salvaged from the curb. Not shabby chic, just junk. The staff did nothing to solve the problem but indicated that many people liked their hotel so I must be wrong. I travel for business and pleasure and have stayed in hotels all over the United States and the world. I have stayed in hotels that were more expensive and many cheaper but I have never stayed in one that was such a poor value. Lewis and Clark wrote that they had a lousy time in Astoria and some things never change. the final insult was a room tax of $27.50 for a stay in a crummy little town with no charm. Do Fort Clatsop and the Maritime museum and get out of town before nightfall.

• Stayed September 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Santa Rosa, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2005

The Hotel Elliott is located in the heart of the historic old town district of Astoria. Don't let the somewhat cheesy exterior and funky reception area fool you. Yes, the rooms are small, but there is an obvious attention to fine details here: cedar-lined closet, Aveda bath products, the leaf-etched bathroom walls, Tully coffee, fluffy bath towels and robes, and a bathroom floor that can be heated to your own personal specification. They advertise "wonderful beds," and it's not a gimmick...the beds are exquisite. Our room did have an overhead fan. I think the drapery problem alluded to in previous reviews is a minor complaint. But you do need to open the window for ventilation, and there are no screens (I would think twice about booking a room if there are young children travelling.) This is not a hotel you book for the views (we faced the free parking lot of the hotel). I liked the restaurant across the street, The Schooner, but I can't vouch for the continental breakfast; great oatmeal, eggs, bacon and ham. It was a gray, very cool and overcast day in Astoria when we stayed. The town has seen better days; it seemed run down and economically depressed. It was difficult to discern the charm in this riverside town.

• Stayed August 2005
6 Thank shep77
La Jolla, Ca.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2005

This hotel has some very positive aspects although there are some areas that could use improvement. It is in a renovated building and our initial impression was that curbside appeal is lacking. The lobby (soon to be remodeled) smelled slightly musty and is small. Based on our initial apprehension we (my wife, daughter and, I) asked to see our room (a suite with a great view of the river). We were very pleased with the amenities in the suite to include the comfortable bed, heated floor in the bathroom, nice soaps, robes, shampoo, etc. We decided to stay and generally enjoyed the experience. The lady (Allison) at the front desk was one of the most pleasant and accomodating people I have ever encountered at a hotel. She took care of all our needs and really made a positive impact on the stay.

The wine bar in the basement and the roof top terrace are very nice touches- really gives the hotel its character. The restaurant across the street served a great crabmeat omlette although the monitary credit you get if you decline the continental breakfast is minimal. My wife had the provided breakfast and it seemed the fruit was pretty weak.

My one real issue regarded the windows. They are screenless. We were traveling with our 8 year old and while she is not a baby the lack of screens and a fifth floor room had me nervous. Perhaps the hotel does not wish to cater to kids (their perogative) but it left me uncomfortable. As well, given the windows needed to be open for ventilation there was more street noise than I would have hoped. The hotel is near a busy road through town and all it takes is one loud truck- you get the idea. I also agree with a prior reviewer's comment that the drapes are a nuissance (difficult) to open and close.

Overall, we had a positive feeling about the hotel and would say that it was far more comfortable and interesting than the more typical motels and chain hotels that also dot the area. A few improvements and this could be a real gem.

• Stayed July 2005
7 Thank Anrmd
Portland, OR
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2005

My girlfriend and I recently spent a night at the Hotel Elliott. While it is a nice hotel, and it is apparent that the owners have accomplished a wonderful renovation, we had some issues with our stay.

The hotel is located pretty much in the center of Astoria. It was nice to be able to walk to restaurants and explore on foot. Its a very small city, but it has a lot going on, from trendy galleries and shops to its active docks on the Columbia. A day or two here is probably enough, though!

Hotel Elliot was originally built in 1920 and seems to have been totally restored. The extent of the renovation seems to beg the question -- why not just knock it down and start over again? Inside, the only thing that reminded me that we were in an old hotel were the small bedrooms. The bathroom was especially nice, with floor heating and nice fixtures. They did cheap out on some things, however, which created nasty contrast.

Here are some details:

- Beds were "wonderful" as advertised, but a bit small. The bed in our room was several inches shorter (and possibly more narrow) than a standard queen.
- Curtains in the room were absolutely unacceptable. More like shower curtains on cheap brass pipes (which, incidentally, still had "MADE IN MEXICO" and other industrial labeling printed on them). The curtains were difficult to open/close and failed to block the abundant light, making morning sleep challenging. In fact, they barely were wide enough for the windows.
- Keep in mind that the rooms (at least ours) did not have AC or a ceiling fan. They were nice enough to include a small, cheap fan which we were lucky enough to find in the armoire. Unfortunately, it was hard to find somewhere to put it.
- We were on the third floor, which gave us a bit of a view, but mostly of ugly rooftops. Also, the ventilation from the hotel's cigar bar seemed to be right outside of our room. When we went to sleep, or room smelt like cigar (since we had the little fan on the window still, pointing in). We both had sore throats the next morning.
- The rooms are very, very small. I would expect this in New York City, but not on the Oregon Coast. No closet and nowhere to put all the pillows that they had all over the bed. It was challenging to navigate between the armoire and the bed. Keep in mind that we were in a "standard" room, not a suite. I would go crazy if I had to spend an extended period of time here, even by myself!
- The "continental breakfast," served at the Schooner Restaurant across the street wasn't good at all. Microwaved packaged pastries, fruit that tasted canned and average coffee was all you got. Quality was low overall.
- Rooms were exceptionally clean, with nice towels. One problem -- the maid evidentally failed to check the alarm clock setting, because it went off at 7:55AM (on a Sunday). Because of the translucent curtains (mentioned above) it was very difficult to fall back asleep.
- Rooftop terrace was really pretty and comfortable, but I imagine that it could fill up fast. We really liked their wine bar in the basement. It was great to be able to take a glass of wine upstairs and relax on the comfortable chairs.
- Staff was generally helpful and friendly. However, they didn't ask how our stay was when we checked out. And, they seemed a bit too busy to listen. So, I'm providing my comments here instead.

Overall, I thought the Hotel Elliott was pretty average, definitely not luxury and probably not worth $160/night. Its too bad, because with some more attention to detail (ceiling fans, better curtains, nicer breakfast, etc.), it could have been much better. Not sure what can be done about the small rooms, though!

Astoria is a great place to visit, and it is nice to see its revitalization. I'm sure the hotel will be successful, mostly because of a lack of competition on the higher end. If another nice hotel opened, it would probably give the Elliott a run for its money.

• Stayed July 2005