“More reasons to keep coming back...”

Astoria Riverwalk Inn
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Astoria
Eugene, Oregon
“More reasons to keep coming back...”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

So, 3 reviews on the same hotel?... yes, because I won't bother staying anywhere else in Astoria.

I may be a sucker for a diamond in the rough, but there's always something new to see and experience each time I visit.

Free DVD rentals. Yes please! The selection is HUGE (seriously, there's everything from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid to The Avengers). And you are treated like a responsible adult, it's refreshing to not have to offer up your first born son to check out a dang movie.

Same goes for the bikes.. they're not rentals! They're free, offer up your room number and pick out your bike. (New ones. Nice ones. Excellent cruisers, kids bikes, tricycles, and fat tires.) They also offer up chains so you can cruise around downtown and lock it up and not have a care in the world but enjoying yourself.

I've read a couple reviews from other people and I keep wondering if they're staying at the same hotel that I did. The rooms are always -spotless-. I've been in over half a dozen throughout my travels and I've never had a complaint. It's Astoria, it doesn't get THAT hot, and if it is toasty out, then open the door to the balcony and enjoy the soothing sounds of the water lapping at the docks and the boats rocking in the waves. Heat is never a problem if you're cold, the rooms warm up quickly.

Each room I've stayed in has a mini fridge (and I've never found anything but an empty one), a microwave (to pop that popcorn you can snag in the lobby, along with some old school candies that I haven't seen elsewhere in ages.. very retro), big TVs that are either flat screen or, well, big old fat ones, but who cares? Seriously, it's a TV, and a DVD player.

The beds are insanely comfortable. The sheets are clean, crisp, and fresh. The pillows are fluffy and abundant (and if you need anything more, the front desk is happy and quick about finding what you need.)

The showers have great water pressure and HOT water. The shampoos and soaps offered are really nice ones and not bottom shelf. And the towels are BIG.. bath sheets, such a nice treat.

The lobby is newly remodeled (well, in the process.. the new wood floor is a beautiful touch). The breakfast area is always offering up more. More seating, more selection, and more accommodations for the people that tend to sleep late and wander in hungry. The waffles are always delicious. The cereals offered are aimed at keeping adults AND the kids happy. (Who doesn't like a bowel of froot loops once in a while?). There's also whole wheat toast and fresh fruit. Would still love a few more protein offers, but with all the other perks, I don't mind (besides, if you're on vacation, isn't that the time to splurge?). Oh, and the coffee is DELICIOUS.. no crappy truck-stop at this place.

The wifi.. I keep hearing about that, but again, I'm on vacation, and that means avoiding the computer for a while and appreciating the beautiful view and the abundant activities offered in the area.

Now.. for the service. I have never had anything but good experiences in my interactions with the crew that works here. It seems to me that the people that work here are happy to be doing so. They are courteous and accommodating. I've checked in.. and out.. late.. without inconvenience. And when there is a time when they can't help you immediately with what you need, they are always apologetic and helpful in offering other ways to keep you happy.

This place is a great value and it's been really fun to watch it grow and change over the year.
I hope to see it thrive so that others can enjoy it as much as I have.

A few new additions that are fun... an exercise room (just a few things to get the heart rate up). Free washer/dryers. And.. get this.. FREE video games (old school arcade games!) to keep you entertained while your clothes dry.

It's refreshing to see a place that is trying to make the guests feel like they're valued as guests and not as a dollar sign.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank M J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Illinois
Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed here for 2 nights in late July while traveling the Oregon Coast. We were not impressed. The staff wasnt overly friendly, not really rude but didnt seem to care if we were staying there or not. The rooms were in need of either a deep cleaning or a remodel. It was hard to tell if the walls were dirty or scuffed and in need of paint. The view over the harbor is pretty but you may also be woke up by a fisherman starting his boat at 4am. That isnt the hotels problem but it should be a consideration in staying at this hotel. All in all, my stay wasnt terrible but i wouldnt stay there again nor would I suggest it to anyone.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank robs2346

Travelers are raving about these Astoria hotels

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I have stayed at the hotel several times over the past 30 years, starting back when it was a Red Lion with a good restaurant and lounge and then through years of neglect. So it was with great suspicion and doubt that I booked a stay again -- and I was pleasantly surprised at how much better it was since it bottomed out (while still a Red Lion). Our room was freshly painted and decorated. The staff was helpful and accommodating, holding over the breakfast buffet so a couple of slowpokes (us) could get something to eat. They offered good advice on local activities and complimentary bicycles were available to ride on the River Walk. The trolley runs right across the parking lot. The office was well-stocked with complimentary DVDs to watch. The WiFi service was good, but not excellent. As always, the view of the marina is superb. And as for people who are put off by fishermen leaving early in the morning -- YOO HOO -- WAKE UP. This is a working marina in one of the better salmon-fishing ports in the Northwest. Of course they leave early. Right next door is a fish-processing business where you can buy fresh salmon, tuna, sturgeon and ling cod at better-than-supermarket prices. The Riverwalk still is a little rough around the edges, but it is making a good comeback.

Room Tip: Try to get a room near the office. They're quieter and have a great view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Pepi25_11
Campbell River, Canada
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We were. On our way south when we stopped in the first time, I thought the rooms a bit over priced but the view made up for it. The front desk girl was helpful and our over all stay was par,
On our way back north we happend to end up here again but now it's the weekend. I call the night before to reserve a room to find out that the prices were much more expensive, when I commented on the fact I was told that they had made a mistake the week before and that they had lat that person go because of it, ( to bad, she was at least caring)
No one seemed to care if we stayed with them or not, the new front desk guy said it didn't matter cause they would be full with us or without us.
He ran the front dest like a correctional officer would.
Over all I thought the place was way over priced dirty and noisey ( fisherman fish early and make noise getting ready)
All that I could live with if the staff gave a crap about us travelers...

Room Tip: Stay on the top floor so you don't hear people walking above
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 6, 2013

The family suite is spacious and fun. The kids loved their room with the game cube and free movie and game rentals. Front desk staff was helpful and friendly. Breakfast was good and staff thoughtful enough to leave it out longer when we got there late. The kids want to go back every year.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank ChehalisWA
Reno, NV
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Great location. Great view! We live in a digital age. Fix the internet. Spend the money and give us the internet service we should expect! The internet is so slooooow, that I can't even submit this review. Get it????

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We went against our better judgement and booked a night here, even after reading the negative reviews. If you enjoy staying in a terribly overpriced room with filthy carpet, stained & dented walls, very slow draining bathtub, buzzing fluorescent lighting and paper thin walls that force you to hear every footstep and bathroom habit of guests around you...well look no further because Astoria Riverwalk Inn is the place for you! As if that's not enough, they offer a mini arm work out when trying to pull up the faucet handle and open the sticky bathroom door. Finally, the dingy "white" towels coupled with little curly hairs on the bathroom from previous guests give the place real "charm." Disgusting!!! We desperately looked at other places nearby only to find out that there were no vacancies, forcing two weary drivers back to spend the night here. With socks on our feet at all times, and t-shirts to cover our pillowcases, we did our best to pretend everything was fine & not retreat to our car to sleep for the night. It makes me really angry to think any hotel owner and/or manager would be ok allowing guests to stay in a room like this. The real bummer is that there actually is some potential here with the marina and bridge views. I believe they're trying to make up for the gross rooms with cookies and bicycles available in the lobby, but it's just not possible. If only they cared about providing a comfortable night of sleep for their guests. A coat of paint, carpet cleaning, bleach, and some maintenance could do wonders. After staying here & briefly speaking with a few other guests, I'm certain that any positive reviews about this place must be fraudulent. Unless this place does some serious cleaning/renovating...don't do it. Don't book a night and have the same bad experience as us. Trust me, I wish I had listened to others.

Room Tip: Anywhere else seems like a better place.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple