“Run down and dirty”

Astoria Riverwalk Inn
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Astoria
Reviewed July 31, 2012

This is a sad hotel that could be great. We had to sign that we would not open the patio door due to safety issues. If we opened the patio, we could be fined $200. I was afraid to put my bare foot in the shower because of the mold and mildew. The breakfast area was filthy. The floor was filthy and needed mopping desperately.

1  Thank Rita P

Reviewed July 30, 2012

The staff is friendly and the room is clean. This was an old Red Lion and obviously they did not replace any of the old furniture or make any updates. The furniture was worn. The bed was soft and uncomfortable. We both had backaches the next day. No remote for the TV and the TV is at least 10-15 years old. Asked for a remote and was told "we will have to find one" and never heard back. The breakfast is just cold cereal, oatmeal in a pouch and waffles you make yourself. And there was a total of 2 towels, 2 washcloth and a hand towel in the room. Balcony is closed till Summer 2013 but it did have a nice view of the marina, however the windows were dirty. We paid $65 on Groupon and I would seriously been upset if we had paid the full price.

Room Tip: I would pick another hotel.
Reviewed July 23, 2012

The old Red Lion is now the Riverwalk. We;re talking my kind of place. Our studio had a wonderfull view of the marina and on to the river itself. We watched to ships come and go.
The trolley to all the action runs right outside the Riverside. Can't beat the staff..... they own the place. If you're not happy, it's only because you didn't ask for what you wanted. We had a clean room with a top notch bed, a 5 star view, a good breakfast with a view and a waffle. What the hell do want for the price. We're going back .....soon. Oh, about the fitness room.... Buy a gym membership and spendthe rest of your money on the room and viewbecause they don't have a fitness center and have promised me they won't get one.

1  Thank UnhappeyCamper
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I purchased two nights at the Riverwalk Inn during a Groupon promotion. I was attracted to the promotion because of the great deal and lack of restrictions. Like another reviewer mentioned, I also had some apprehension when I saw the exterior of the Inn, but we ended up enjoying a nice stay!

The Inn is located very close to the Astoria-Megler Bridge, which is a convenient location because it's easy to drive into town for shopping and meals and quick to get on the highway to head out to Fort Stevens, Seaside and Cannon Beach.

Regarding the room, our only disappointment was that all of the decks are closed to visitor use until next summer, but we were able to pull the two chairs over and enjoyed our view of the marina and the bridge from inside. Our bed was very comfortable and the TV and bathroom were free of problems.

We stayed at the Inn in the middle of the week in June, so there were not many guests around which meant that we enjoyed an extra quiet stay...always a treat! We did not take advantage of the free breakfast. All of the staff we encountered were pleasant.

If free wireless is important to you, please note that it's not offered here.

Also worth noting: The annual Great Columbia River Crossing 10k finishes right outside of this hotel. The shuttle buses also leave from the Inn to take runners/walkers to the starting line. It would be worth checking into their rates if you plan to participate, as staying here would be really convenient on race day!

Room Tip: Ask for second floor with a view of the marina and bridge away from the stairs
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank ORduo
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I’m astounded at the good reviews this place is getting! While the folks at the front desk were competent, kind and efficient, the the motel itself is very run down and grubby and the exterior stairs were covered with bird droppings. Worse still, when we made our reservations, the clerk didn’t bother to tell us that there was no access from the room out onto the balconies. A little deceptive, eh? I am assuming that the motel is being remodeled, but saw no evidence of it. The bathroom had old, worn fixtures and the shower was a joke. I’m not particularly tall, (5’ 10”) but I had to bend down to get under the shower head and when I raised my arms, they bumped against the slimy ceiling! The bed was comfortable and the linens seemed very clean.

We needed a place to stay at the last minute and this was the only place available...it wasn't completely terrible, but unless you're desperate, stay somewhere else.

Pros: Pleasant staff, great view of the marina
Cons: No balcony access, unpleasant bathroom, questionable neighborhood.

1  Thank jec s
Reviewed July 8, 2012

I felt right at home with the staff. Nicole was very friendly when she checked me in. Seth and Brad were hosting a Manager's Reception which I found to be a refreshing change from the norm. They served several different wines with cheese, crackers, and the freshest, tastiest smoked salmon. (mmmmmmmmmmm...) I am told the salmon is caught, smoked and sold locally. When I went to my room I was pleased to see that it was quite spacious with a view of the Columbia. Beautiful at night with the lights in the distance. My bed was so comfortable that I melted right in and almost to return to work the next day. :)

Room Tip: There are no tips required for choosing a room at this hotel. They are all on the water's edge a...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank SadieBG00de
Reviewed July 8, 2012

When I first saw the hotel, the dated appearance made me wonder about my decision to stay...I was absolutely wrong. I received a level of customer service well above the asking price. The family suite I stayed in had bunkbeds for my kids along with a game system to occupy them while my wife and I had *peace and quiet* the view of the marina was a very nice touch as was the public access to walk the docks by the water and see the boats. Seth, one of the hotel owners, greeted us and took reservations over the phone. This pride of ownership shines through and is nice to see.

• Stayed: July 2012