“Diamond in the rough!”

Astoria Riverwalk Inn
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Astoria
“Diamond in the rough!”
Reviewed July 8, 2012

When I first saw the hotel, the dated appearance made me wonder about my decision to stay...I was absolutely wrong. I received a level of customer service well above the asking price. The family suite I stayed in had bunkbeds for my kids along with a game system to occupy them while my wife and I had *peace and quiet* the view of the marina was a very nice touch as was the public access to walk the docks by the water and see the boats. Seth, one of the hotel owners, greeted us and took reservations over the phone. This pride of ownership shines through and is nice to see.

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank Windjammer47

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Although hotel is still under renovation, it is very comfortable. The adjoining room for kids with the bunk beds was awesome! They were ecstatic to have there own bed to sleep in. The new owners are really trying to make a very family friendly place.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank Sherbeth
Bothell, Washington
Reviewed June 11, 2012

My wife and I stayed one night over Memorial Day weekend. We wanted a king bed but their website said none were available, but after a call to the Inn they were able to get us one at a great price. The woman at the counter (blanking on her name) was great and offered many different restaurant options for dinner that night. The bed was super comfortable and the room was clean and neat. The only drawback was not having access to the balcony but we understood that they were still remodeling. We will definitely come back again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Hallgris
San Rafael, California
Reviewed June 11, 2012

My niece, Rose, lives in Portland, and she invited her mom, grandma and me, her aunt, to visit in early June 2012. We stayed at the Riverwalk Inn two nights. Seth Davis, General Manager, greeted us at the front desk and arranged for two rooms. He introduced us to Astoria and made recommendations such as the Sunday Market, well worth visiting. Then, Seth told us there would be freshly smoked salmon appetizers and wine at 5 pm. That’s when we met Seth’s business partner, Brad. He was gracious, and we felt sure we were right where we wanted to be.

We learned that Seth and Brad recently bought the inn in March this year. In less than two months, they renovated 87 units with many more to meet their high standards of hospitality and ingenuity. There is a breakfast room where visitors make waffles, enjoy fruit juices, fresh fruit, cereal and choices of four kinds of bread. And, best of all, really good coffee.

Walking into our room my mother and I saw a colorful display of boats anchored in the harbor. Each unit overlooks the harbor through sliding glass doors. The room includes an ample table and two chairs, TV, game console and lovely miniature soaps and shampoo. What most caught my mom’s and my attention were the bedding. Crisp white sheets and cotton-covered quilts. No heavy, rarely-cleaned “fancy” bed covers. The bed was delicious, and the room was “done and dusted.”

Soon after, we discovered our thermostat was broken, and in Astoria that could leave us very chilly even in late spring. Not more than ten minutes went by when Joshua knocked on the door, and replaced it. Joshua is a plumber, technology guy and electrical genius. You couldn’t find a more experienced contractor.

When the time comes to visit again in Astoria, there’s no question you’ll find us at the Riverwalk Inn.

Room Tip: Every room faces the harbor, which we found lovely.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank rosestevan S
Portland, Oregon, United States
Reviewed June 9, 2012

My groupon brought me to this hotel. I had not heard of it before - but soon realized it had previously been a Red Lion Hotel. It is clear this hotel is going through remodeling. But let me say - the staff are great - very much wanting your stay to be wonderful. I was given a discount coupon to a local restaurant. There was a nice free breakfast. The view was amazing from the room. True - it is a little outdated in the room - but clean and full of promise of a nice stay. I'm sure you could find a more expensive - modern room. But this place is really charming and in a good location - the trolley runs right past it. And within walking distance of a great gluten-free restaurant Bridgeview. Give this hotel a chance - they are working so hard to make it a pleasant experience.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Portland828
Manzanita, Oregon
Reviewed June 9, 2012

I was pretty apprehensive about staying at this place, but I thought that it could not be that bad, given that it use to be Red Lion. The hotel is a bit old, and shabby for my taste. The views were pretty cool, except you could not enjoy the balcony, because they locked the sliding glass door. The room was clean, and comfortable, excpet it needed updating, which I think they were doing, but It seems like a slow process. It was very windy and raining out when we stayed here, so there was a lot of noise coming through the door, so we changed rooms. The room needed more updating then our last noisy room, for sure, but made do. You can not go wrong with the price we paid, but any other price, I would have to pass on this place. The service was great, the bikes were for rent, but you had to pay. They were really nice bikes, nicer than the hotel. The food for the continental breakfast was not good, the hot water for the tea was cold, and it was very basic.You are better off eating out or bringing your own food. The maid came by, which was this older man with no name tag or cart with his cleaning materials, it was a bit odd, and I can not believe I opened the door. My boyfriend got kind of upset with me, but I did not know. Overall our stay was pleasant for the price, great experience for a one time thing.

Room Tip: Choose a more upgraded room that is newly renovated.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lisaungie
Reviewed June 8, 2012

We had a great weekend at the Astoria Riverwalk Inn. Beautiful views in the quiet end of town and it is right by what I consider to be the best restaurant in town, the Bridgewater Bistro. They rent out bikes which made discovering the town much easier. An example of the great service: We missed the wine and cheese that they served one evening so they sent us up to our room with two bottles of wine. That's the kind of service that will keep us coming back.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple