“Mixed review here”
Review of Simply cakes by jae - CLOSED

Simply cakes by jae
Reviewed May 23, 2012

I went into this shop for the first time in 2010 and I got cupcakes to try and see if she would be good to use for my wedding. I wasn't ready to talk about it since I was there with a friend just trying the place out, and I hate salesmen type of people. Which is why I was buying 4 cupcakes to try. My friend said something about using her while we were getting cupcakes and she immediately started asking me 1000 questions and pushing how professional she is and how many weddings she was doing and all that stuff. I didn't really like it...again salesmen type of thing. But i was nice and said my fiance and I may be back there together sometime, BUT that I knew she was doing my friends wedding so I would be able to see some of her work then. I told her who and when and she looked it up and said she was doing their wedding. She failed to deliver their wedding cupcake order because she forgot. So I never got to see her work in their wedding. Pretty terrible...and I am not supposed to base this review on events that didn't happen to me so I gotta leave it at that, but I was hoping to see her work there to decide to go with her or not. Anyway she was very talkative about her wedding orders and told me she does this ribbon thing on her cakes its her trademark, it was really trendy at the time. She was very wired and I couldn't get a lot in myself but I didn't like how overwhelming she was and trying to sell herself when I was primary there to get 4 cupcakes to try. I was just there with a friend and we were walking about and decided to buy some cupcakes...plus when she said how professional she was I thought it was interesting because she wasn't. She was telling us how she had to get an assistant and what time she gets up in the morning and sorry if she rang up our cupcake prices wrong. Again she was wired and a little scattered brained.
Funny thing was she came into my husbands work while I was there saying hi and he told her he was getting married and she tried to sell him on using her for our wedding cake. I again had to be nice and say we hadn't got that far in wedding planning.
Cupcakes I got were good. but nothing amazing or that i fell in love with to go and get more or use her for my wedding. A friend actually gifted me a couple of her cupcakes just this last month and again they tasted like the last ones, same flavors I had gotten before, but nothing I'll go back for considering her costumer service wasn't my style.

Reviewed December 31, 2011

Jae opened this shop last year after operating a custom cake-baking business in Gearhart for years. She's clearly a baker of distinction; her chocolate brownies and all her cupcakes are excellent. We live in Portland (2+ hours away) and visit Astoria every month or so and ALWAYS swing by Jae's.