TripAdvisor
Post
Inbox
Search
Review Highlights
Beautiful Boat Ride with Bruce!

We booked our tour over Valentine's Day Weekend and had the most beautiful and sunny private boat... read more

Reviewed March 11, 2019
Lindzerlady
via mobile
Visiting Astoria for vacation

My sister and I took the 3 hour tour today, with Captain Bruce at the helm. There was a party of... read more

Reviewed September 27, 2018
Hanjan1
Salt Lake City, Utah

Recommended experiences in and around Astoria
from $130.00
More Info
from $1,239.00
More Info
All reviews hour tour captain chris bald eagles floating homes highly recommend this tour wealth of knowledge columbia river beautiful scenery rain or shine astoria area visiting astoria cousteau wildlife boat freighters geology ships
Selected filters
Reviewed August 15, 2018 via mobile

What a disappointment!
We were so looking forward to this trip, especially after reading all the great reviews. However, Captain Bruce is not Captain Chris. He is knowledgeable about the area, his own qualifications, his girlfriend and photo of her, and talking forward into the wind, but anyone sitting behind him didn’t get to hear what he was saying. And that was at least three to four of the six of us.
After asking permission to board, we expected to be assisted in boarding the fairly awkward aft boarding area as the boat rocked up and down but Bruce didn’t offer to assist either of us. Luckily I boarded first and gave a hand to my friend, otherwise she would have ended up miss-stepping and possibly falling off the boat or hurting herself.
Be prepared to bring your own food or other beverages as there is nothing offered onboard, not even water. And there was no place to toss garbage. Bruce didn’t bother to tell us where the head was, or give us any safety instructions. Aren’t those required on these types of trips?
Be aware you must be able to climb a ladder to ride on top of the boat with the captain in fair weather to join the group. And the captain does NOT use a microphone so it is difficult to impossible to hear him speak when the wind is blowing, which it always does on the Oregon Coast.
We ended up having more fun downstairs visiting with another couple who we met on the trip than staying on top of the boat.

Date of experience: August 2018
1  Thank carolfB446BX
christopherlloyd, Owner at Columbia River Eco Tours, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2018

It's always interesting for me, as the owner of Columbia River Eco Tours for the past 10 years and over 4,500 passengers, to analyse a negative review...

The negative reviews have one thing that is very consistent - they never tell you 'the rest of the story'.

In this case the above reviewer 'forgot' to tell you that the swim step for boarding the boat is the same height as the dock and since the boat is docked in the marina it does not rock up and down. We've had 90 year olds with canes easily board the boat. And of course we always offer assistance.

The ladder to the flybridge has seen 90 year olds, dogs and everyone else climb it. Many times with assistance, I've seen elderly passengers display an inspired sense of accomplishment for making the effort.

As to refreshments... the hotel where the above reviewer stayed gave her a free bottle of wine and a plate of cheese and crackers. I allow passengers to bring whatever food and drink they like aboard with them.

Captain Bruce told everyone aboard that there is a full bathroom onboard in the cabin. The life jackets and safety rings are in full view for all to see. There is a garbage bag hanging in the galley also in full view.

If you can't hear because of the wind, please ask us to speak louder and we'll be glad to do so.

I spoke with the above reviewer at least four times before she arrived at the boat. Each time she complained about something different. She complained about me. She complained about the hotel. I offered her a few suggestions but she ignored them and kept on complaining.

After she wrote the above review I called her to follow up. I pointed out the various inconsistencies within her review and asked her to remove it. She decided to leave it up, so I decided I'd fill anyone in, who takes the time to read this, on 'the rest of the story'.

Come take a tour! 4500 passengers, minus a handful of generally unhappy folks, can't be wrong. It's been the number one tour in Astoria for the past 7 years and I'm very proud of that! Thank you to all who've been aboard and to those of you who've not yet had the opportunity to enjoy the wonder of it, come on out we'll have a great time!

Reviewed July 7, 2018 via mobile

We had a wonderful morning ride with Captain Bruce! He is extremely knowledgeable about the area, the river and boating. We learned so much from him, and already miss being in Oregon! This is a great experience and well worth the price!

Date of experience: June 2018
1  Thank Stacia W
Reviewed October 2, 2017 via mobile

Captain Chris took a small group of us up the Columbia River from Astoria Oregon in his yacht. He was knowledgeable, affable and even gave a remote local a lift back to Astoria docks to get his sailboat. He, too was interesting and knowledgeable since he had lived here for 30 years.

You can't expect local color like that every trip, but the tour was well worth the time and money!

Date of experience: October 2017
1  Thank Jeffrey G
Reviewed September 29, 2017

We went out in the morning and were joined by a family of 4. Chris says he is limited to 6, so we were lucky. He narrates the trip, pointing out points of interest. Do book early in your stay in Astoria and things can come up ( weather, not enough passengers. etc.)We had a nice tour into the river. We did have some smoke from the fires that were inland.

Date of experience: September 2017
4  Thank kristi30350
Reviewed September 16, 2017 via mobile

My wife and I got to experience this tour, and really enjoyed it.

Captain Chris is a great storyteller, he showed us some really beautiful views of the Columbia, and we got some closeup views (e.g., big ships, the Eagle habitat, etc).

Great for networking, a special date night/couples outing, and showing friends/family around.

We will definitely do this again, and recommend the tour, even for longtime locals.

Date of experience: September 2017