“Good food, helpful staff”
Review of Astoria's portway

Astoria's portway
Ranked #25 of 106 Restaurants in Astoria
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We were only in Astoria for a couple of days, on a budget, and I had a restaurant.com certificate, so I chose Portway sight unseen. Because my son is 20, we couldn't be seated there (it's a tavern, and Oregon has liquor laws that, as a newbie, are still a mystery to me), but the staff couldn't have been more helpful about accommodating us. (When the bill came up $1.50 short of the restaurant.com rules, the bartender suggested a can of soda, which fit the bill exactly.) Portway provided takeout containers, utensils and napkins, and we sat at the Maritime Memorial Park nearby and feasted on seafood and steak, with leftovers that we're still dining on. Good food, nice people!

3  Thank Melissa511

Reviewed July 14, 2013

My company got in town at about 9:30pm and this place was still open and it was about a block away from our hotel. We had fish and chips and some brew and called it the night.

2  Thank Daniel G
Reviewed April 1, 2013

It's changed owners a couple of times over the years but still has the best clam chowder I've ever had. Lots of nautical decor and history to the place, too.

3  Thank 69PaulW
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We love this place. I don't think we go to Astoria without stopping in here. It's rustic, with a definate sea charm. The staff is friendly, the drinks are great and the food is to die for. The staff that work there, from our experience, love their job and have been there for a long time. We like to see the same staffers when we return to a place. It speaks volumes. Nothing fancy, no frills but wonderful.

2  Thank Kim C
Reviewed February 23, 2013

This is my go-to-place for fish and chips with a beer in Astoria. This is a bar frequented by the locals. The Halibut (fish and chips) is some of the best fish (fish and chips) that I have eaten. The fish is fresh and flaky, and the batter is crisp and tasty; not oily or soggy. The fries are average, but the onion rings are house made, crispy goodness.
We arrived after the after work crowd had left but before the night life crowd came in. There were some loud folks that should have been home, already. The service was excellent. They seem to have only have one waitress that works the entire place. Although the service was great, you would think the owner would hire a second server to give the one server a bit of breathing room.

1  Thank FriendshipII