“For vegetarians, a big disappointment.”

Himani Indian Cuisine
Ranked #21 of 98 Restaurants in Astoria
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Opened about 4 months ago
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
“For vegetarians, a big disappointment.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2011

My partner and I love Indian food, and were eagerly looking forward to an Indian restaurant opening in Astoria, OR. So we had high hopes for the Himani. Sadly, we were disappointed. The vegetarian selections are limited, and not very appealing. The saag paneer is made with lumps of potatoes, rather than paneer cheese.
Meat eaters might have a better time there. But across, the basic meal does not include naan, you are not served any papadum before the meal, chutney is extra, and the prices are what you might expect for a much better meal in Portland.
Best bet is their lunch buffet. Again. not much in the way of appetizing vegetarian dishes, but at least you can eat all you want. Dinner is paying too much for too little.
Big disappointment!

• Visited October 2011
3 Thank Pilgrim4Art

South Bend WA
“Incredible!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

Since they had just opened, they offered only a buffet at lunch, but they did serve dinner from an extensive menu starting at 5 p.m. Their lunch buffet consisted of at least 15 items, including tandoori chicken, two soups, two curries and numerous other offerings. Not to mention a salad and a dessert involving mangos.

Everything was piping hot (well, except the salad and dessert) and was excellent. We were also impressed by the cloth napkins, tablecloths and REAL cutlery. Weird, but we both remarked on it.

My friend paid for lunch while I was otherwise occupied, and when she left she said. "How much do you think lunch was?' I said it was probably around $12 to $15. When she told me it was $5.00, I was stunned!

So give this place a try. Even if you are not a big fan of most Indian food, I can almost guarantee that you will find something on their buffet or menu to like.

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank catglass
niceplanet
“Great new option in Astoria”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2011

This family has been serving the best food at the Astoria Sunday Market for years. I am so glad that I have so many more chances to enjoy during the week now. Fearless traditional entrees served family style. Go with a group so you get to try more items!

1 Thank niceplanet
Portland, Oregon
“Great place, a must try!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2011

I have only been here for lunch. It was good when I went. They have a buffet for lunch which is great. You end up trying everything and getting a good taste of their food. I know the buffet changes so its not always the exact same things. I have heard great things about dinner too but have yet to make it in for dinner.

1 Thank m_17kisses
Annapolis, Maryland
“What a great find!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2011

Monday nights are not typically a dining out night, but you wouldn't know it at Himani. Arrived at 6:30 and there were only a few people, but 2 hours later, it was hopping! Our waitress was fun and informative and knew when to approach us and when to leave us alone. I was having dinner with an old friend and we had a lot to catch up on.

We shared an order of Samosa which was very good and the dipping sauces were light and flavorful. I ordered the Lamb kabob and my friend had the Chicken Curry. The lamb was really tender and you could cut it with a fork. It came on a sizzling platter with sautéed onions and veggies and a side of Basmati rice. The Chicken Curry came in in a little silver pot and was just spicy enough to enjoy. The chicken was tender and quite yummy. We shared our entrées back and forth and couldn't decide who had the best! We also had an order of Naan that was perfectly baked. We ended with sharing the homemade mango ice cream. It's on the sweet side so be prepared, but oh so yummy!!
Our total bill was $34.00 (w/out drinks and Oregon has no sales tax).

Himanis' prices are really quite modest. Appetizers and side dishes from $2 – $8, entrees $9 – $18, beverages and desserts run $2 - $4.

I can't wait to return to my hometown to try it again!

2 Thank Gigglebelly