“Totally worth stopping at for a few hours for some family fun”

Astoria Aquatic Center
Ranked #21 of 56 things to do in Astoria
Reviewed March 28, 2012

We usually go to the pool in Seaside when our family visits, but one day the pool in Seaside was closed, so we decided to go to the Astoria Aquatic Center instead. The cost was quite a bit more, $14 for the family, but once we got inside we quickly realized it was worth the cost. This pool is very nice! There are 2 water slides, a large one for the older kids and young adults that opens later in the afternoon, and a small slide for the younger kids that's always available. There were actually 2 pools, the big main pool for laps and such, then the warm family pool that not only has the slides, but also a lazy river feature. Besides the swimming area, we also noticed a snack bar/cafe area in the lobby and a swim shop with goggles, swim diapers, etc. I definitely recommend visiting if you're in the area, you can easily spend 2 or 3 hours here and have a great time!

2  Thank srs79

Reviewed December 29, 2011

We generally enjoy going to the aquatic center. The kids enjoy the slide, the lap pool is great for exercise, and the hot tub provides a warm place to keep an eye on all the action. However, on this occasion we were less than impressed with the performance of some of the lifeguarding staff. In the main pool were some teen boys playing with rubber balls, and they quickly became quite rowdy. When they began using kickboards as racquets to slam the balls even harder across the pool area, I really expected the guards to step and handle the problem. And it was quite obviously a problem, as the pool was filled with families, children, even some elderly patrons. One man was slammed in the face with a ball hit from 10 feet away. Not only did the lifeguards do nothing, they engaged in similar play with the boys. I think the reason I am most annoyed is that when one of these "guards" threw a ball back towards the boys at one point carelessly, without looking, he nearly hit me in the face. Playing is great, and the pool is fun. But if you are there to ensure the safety and fun of ALL the patrons, then you should be doing your job, not messing around and letting your buddies get away with acting like jerks.

10  Thank Jeff C
Reviewed October 19, 2011

I enrolled my young daughter in a swim class there. While waiting for her to finish her class I swam with my other daughter. I ended up loosing my wedding band (I was crushed). Upon calling to see if they found it, I was overwhelmed to hear they did. I returned a few days later to retrieve the ring only to be told by Kayleen (pool manager) that someone took it. I was outraged!!! When i asked her if she felt responsible for the ring being taken she replied, " not at all ". I am completely floored by the pools lack for management. I would encourage anyone thinking of giving this pool your business to think again. In a small town honesty makes a business stay profitable. Its no wonder that this on has struggled.

11  Thank nick b
Reviewed September 2, 2011

Ummm has a big water slide use to have a tub out of the water u could play with but they toke it out. They some times have movies on the wall they play on random movie nights projected on the wall. Across from the pool is the columbia river. Two different pools a deep lap pool and a normal shallowish pool and also a baby pool for kids

Reviewed August 15, 2010

We visited the Astoria aquatic center one rainy day while visiting Cannon Beach. The kids loved it so much, they asked to go back "every day" of our trip even when it was sunny. The center has a water slide, lap pool, fun pool with lazy river and slide with toys, and a separate wading pool for babies.. The water slide is fun and impressive in size, especially for an indoor pool. Most 5 year olds were going down the slide on a grown-up's lap. But the 6 and 7 year olds were sliding down solo, and loving it. Also, they have a nice big hot tub which is perched over and adjacent to the main pool and water slide, which makes it easy for parents watching their kids swimming and relax. The life guards are very on-the-ball, and are always watching. I almost fell over when they only charged us $4 per person. The value is phenomenal for what you get. They have big fluffy towels for free. Also, if you need goggles, you can buy a pair at the front desk for only $7.

5  Thank Laleela