“Local treasure”

Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
“Local treasure”
Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

When visiting Astoria, my wife wanted to have lunch and suggested Bowpicker. I figured if there can be food cart/trucks why not a food boat? I was walking the dog while my wife ordered. After the first bite I noticed the fish was firmer and more flavorful than most. To my surprise, the fish was albacore tuna. Whenever in Astoria, make at least one trip to the bowpicker. Note, trip advisor lists 4$ for pricing though I believe a full order with 5 2-3 oz pieces at $10 is a real bargain.

2 Thank Tahoe55

Astoria, Oregon
“THE BEST!”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

I was really sort of skeptical at first. Deep fried TUNA??? Then friends of mine talked me into going, it was the best thing I'd ever had in the line of fried fish. Sometimes they run out of tuna and I understand the will replace the tuna with halibut (I think I got halibut maybe, it was so buttery). Their fries are fantastic. There is ALWAYS a line outside and only outside seating, it's sort of like a food truck, but it's a food BOAT instead of a truck. The wait is worth it for the meal you get. My son and I are able to share the full order which is $10.

Visited October 2013
Mountain View, Arkansas
“Surprising good fish and chips at Bowpicker”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

My wife and I stopped at Bowpicker for lunch on our trip through Astoria on our way to Cannon Beach during our visit with our daughter in Portland this past September. We had to wait in line for over 20 minutes but it was worth it. It was a pleasant sunny day and we talked with a couple from California who were in Astoria for the afternoon on a cruise ship up the West Coast.

Bowpicker is like Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken in Memphis in that they fix only one dish. At Gus's they advertise the daily special of Fried Chicken. Of course, that is the only food they serve. At Bowpicker it is the same way. The only thing they offer is Fish and Chips. Either a whole or a half order. After waiting in line so long I decided to get the whole order of five pieces because I didn't want to leave wanting more. My wife got the half order of three pieces and ended up giving me one of her pieces.

The women cooking the food in the small kitchen were very pleasant and friendly. It must have been over 100 degrees in that kitchen and it was only about 70 degrees that day. Still she was cracking jokes as we ordered with her and picked up our orders. This was the first time I had eaten fried albacore tuna. With the light crispy batter it was very delicious accompanied by the homemade tartar sauce. We sat at one of the two picnic tables with the California couple. Bowpicker is well deserving of it high ranking.

• Visited September 2013
Astoria, Oregon
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best fish & chips in Astoria!”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

If you are looking for the best fish & chips in Astoria, this is the place! Locals love it so much we can get their fish part of the week during the winter.

• Visited November 2013
A TripAdvisor Member
“Sooooo good!!!!”
Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

Very good fish and fries. The staff was very friendly and it is pretty cool walking up to a boat and ordering fish made to order! This was the first time for us but we will remember to stop by next time we are passing thru!