“Where we stayed when we got engaged”
Review of Commodore Hotel

Commodore Hotel
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Astoria
Reviewed January 24, 2011

This little place is by far the coolest hotel I have stayed in. My fiance took me here by surprise. We go to Astoria alot and have never been here. Our room was nice, decorated very cute. The bed was so comfortable. Sharing a bathroom was not even an issue.

The shower is so wonderful and very pretty!

We go to Fort Stevens alot, and usually find sand dollars to take home. This is where he purposed to me. This is a trip I will remember the rest of my life!

I would highly reccommend this place!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CampStJohns

Reviewed January 3, 2011

Stayed with my wife here for two nights in December -- Friday and Saturday nights. We were on the 2nd floor in one the European-style rooms. Sharing the bathroom and shower with a few other rooms was not an issue at all, they were always open and very clean.

The good: Very clean and cozy room, comfy bed, relatively low rate, excellent location downtown, great coffee shop on bottom floor, solid shower.

The bad: Noisy - we could hear everything going on in adjacent rooms...TVs, conversations, music, and acts of passion that we'd rather not hear from strangers. It was not a case of one or two disrespectful neightbors, sound just carries everywhere here and it carries easily. My wife was woken at 3:00am the first night and could not go back to sleep, and I was kept awake until 2:00am the second night due to the noise from numerous TVs and conversations going on throughout the hotel.

The noise issue may have been due to us being on the 2nd floor, but I think the hotel needs to emphasize to guests when they check in that they should keep the volume on their conversations, TVs and music (they provide iPod docking stations) at a minimum after 10:00pm and be proactive about monitoring the noise level later at night.

Due to this problem (and I'm not super picky, I promise), I likely would not stay here again or recommend to someone else.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Trepe_Breks
Reviewed September 23, 2010

I have stayed several times at the Commodore Hotel while traveling to Astoria for business. I like that it's a lower-budget option that is still modern, well-equiped and spotlessly clean. The hotel was a boardinghouse long ago, I believe, and was recently renovated into a boutique hotel. Most rooms are quite small and basic--just a bed, chair, sink, and flat screen TV--all of high quality and quite stylish. Restrooms are down the hall. Most times that I have been there, the hotel isn't at all full, and it's no trouble to walk around the corner the the bathroom. It's possible, however, to upgrade to larger rooms with more space and en suite bathrooms. I did so on my last trip because my partner was with me and he would be working in the room during the day. The extra space and luxury turned an adequate hotel into a very nice one, and we enjoyed ourselves very much. We especially enjoyed the view of the river. An additional nice touch was the new coffee shop that finally opened downstairs--it was great to be able to grab a bite so close, and the food was good. Consistently, this is my preferred hotel for trips to the north coast, and I recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank beglisc
Reviewed July 16, 2010

What a great find! Newly and tastely decorated hotel located in a central location so it's a short walk to restaurants and downtown shopping unlike many of the chain hotels in town. Presently it's listed as a B&B in Tripfinder, but really it's a hotel although the bathrooms are shared. It's very clean. The front desk guy was pleasant and helpful and gave us a great recommendation on a local restaurant. (The Columbian Cafe - 2 blocks away - don't miss it.) Our 'cabin' rooms had no street noise. The walls are thin, but once everyone settled down for the night it was quiet. The beds are some of the most comfortable I have slept in. There is a cafe on the ground floor, a convenient place to start the day.
This review is based on a single stay of one night.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank oc629
Reviewed July 14, 2010

This is a nice little hotel. It reminded us of a McMenamins style hotel. It even has 2 brew pubs within walking distance! The beds are a lot more comfortable here than a McMenamins, and the service is better as well. The main detractors are the noise level and the rooms do tend to get warm. Especially the inside facing rooms. We had the window open all night but there wasn't much airflow and it only increased the noise level. This property would be wise to invest in ceiling fans for the rooms.
I would suggest staying in a room away from the bathrooms to avoid extra morning noise. I would happily stay here again, just not on a warm day.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Voidman
Reviewed July 9, 2010

I visit Astoria frequently as my parents live there and I live 2 hours away in Portland. I have stayed at nearly every property in Astoria and this is by far and away the BEST - value, location, uniqueness, accommodating staff - I cannot say enough good about it. The Elliott is good as well - but a lot more expensive and with a bit of an attitude. Cannery Pier is tons more expensive, not as convienent for exploring the city and comes with even more attitude. The beds are amazing - slept great! Even better that The Elliott whom boasts their comfortable beds. I would highly reccommend The Commodore - cannot wait to go back - I have definitely found my place to stay while in lovely Astoria.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank soggyinPDX
Reviewed June 28, 2010

The Commodore is fantastic. Very clean, modern, with a almost minimalist feel in the rooms. We were in a right on the corner, with big windows, and great views of the city as well as the water. The room has simple decor, and a bed so comfortable we didn't want to get out of it. As for the noise issue that is mentioned in other reviews, it was noisy during the day, but that should be expected due to the location. Once nighttime rolled around, it quieted down and we had no trouble sleeping at all, and my husband is a very light sleeper. It is an excellent room for the price, and we will be going back for sure.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple