“A rich experience for the patient and nostalgic”
Review of Shallon Winery

Shallon Winery
Ranked #17 of 56 things to do in Astoria
More attraction details
Owner description: Shallon Winery is a very small, one-man operation that is open every afternoon, one to six PM, and has been for over 35 years. It, therefore, has to specialize in unique products unavailable elsewhere, such as totally wild berry wines, whey wines, Lemon Meringue Pie wine, and, Chocolate Orange wine. It is a working, functioning winery, not a wine shop.The winemaker prefers a one on one relation with his guests, which entails a brief visit and explanation in the wine making room, followed by tasting all the wines available in a sequence. Local historical information is usually included in the presentation. This visit may run from a minimum of a half hour to an hour or more depending on questions and conversation. Unfortunately, the winery can not afford to entertain larger groups, and frequently is closed to the walk-in public during the days of cruise ship arrivals. However, serious individuals or couples may call during the day for a suggestion for the best time, or just call the number when at the door, if it is not open.
Reviewed April 16, 2012

We had seen the winery in a list of things to do in Astoria but this was one of our highlights of the trip. As we entered the tasting room I saw a sign saying that it would take 30 minutes or so complete the winery tour and tasting. The impatient side of my personality started to get uptight but when this 80 something year old wine maker stepped into the room I was instantly fascinated with him and his world. We spent almost an hour and a half just listening to his stories, experiences and anecdotes. A brilliant man and a people person, he could have kept our attention for hours more. This gentlemen knows his stuff and if you can slow down your fast paced life to listen to a man who's devoted his life to making wine BY HIMSELF you will walk away with a rich experience.

2  Thank jjonbur
PAUL V, Owner at Shallon Winery, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2012

Thanks so much for your kind words. It makes me feel a lots better after the last response.

All reviews
in 3 reviews
"science"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed April 7, 2012

I honestly have never met a "winemaker" so rude in my life. He should not be in the industry. RUDE from the moment of contact until walking out the door only to return to tell him just how rude he was Drove up the coast to purchase a bottle for friends who know, understand and love wine. To be told he would not sell us a bottle without waiting for a tour and taste. After that experience who would want either.

8  Thank Disap
PAUL V, Owner at Shallon Winery, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2012

I am sorry you took offense at the winery procedure.
It is not my intention to be discourteous.
I am a one-man winery and devote my total attention to each guest group, from a five minute view of the winery through a sequential tasting of the wines. I decline to interrupt the current guests for a fast sale. Other than a small sign on the door to indicate this, I haven’t yet thought of a way to allay the outrageous rude anger at the rejection. Fortunately, this has happened a very few times in the last thirty two years.

Reviewed March 9, 2012

My husband I love this winery, there is one elderly man that runs it, he is very nice and knows everything about wine. When you get there he will give you a free wine tasting and at the end he'll serve you his chocolate orange wine in a mini ice cream cone. The wines are all reasonably priced and very taste.

Reviewed March 5, 2012

Yes. Please read all the reviews as Shallon Winery is much different than what one might think or envision when thinking about wine or wine tasting. First of all, just know and realize, the experience is taken very seriously and personally by the winery owner, Paul. However, just because he takes his business serious does not mean the experience is stuff. I write this review in a tongue in cheek manner. The experience was fantastic and nothing I expected or could have expected...ever. I am definitely a wine consumer, go to winery tastings every couple months, and am opening a wine bar in the next few weeks. This blew me away. I don't want to give the experience away, but go in with no expectations...it really is quite best. The wine itself is made from entirely fruit...it's not necessarily sweet however. It is very interesting and although not to my palates liking, is something quite different that I can appreciate saying I've tried and have had now. The experience is the owner Paul. He's the cross between Willy Wonka ala Johnny Depp style and a nutty professor. I'm not sure how old Paul is, but he's sharp as a tack and extremely interesting and quirky. My girlfriend had a perma grin the entire time there listening to him rattle of facts, history, and about his wine. And the lively banter was worth every penny of a bottle of his chocolate orange wine. After, I recommend walking a block west to Fort George Brewing for some great beer and pick yourself up a freshly baked loaf from the bakery next store.

3  Thank tahaus
See more reviews
Reviewed February 26, 2012

If you enjoy wine, wit, whimsy and real people with real stories you must make this your first stop in Astoria. If you are on a Napa Valley-style 25 wineries in one day tour skip Shallon. In fact, skip the whole Oregon Wine industry. If you want to meet a person who pours their heart and soul in every glass and who savors stories and lavishes attention on those in front of him, you have come to the right place. Like their creator, Shallon wines are unique in the world. Come with an open mind and prepare to be educated, amused and bemused. While you are there know that, in a world rushing to watch American Idol and wolf own McRib sandwiches that brilliant masterworks are not created at microwave speeds. At Shallon, you are in the presence of a Willie Wonka like genius who dares go where others fear to/have never tread and who extracts greatness from fruits and grapes and who excels at bringing out the best in people and in his products so build a bit of time into your schedule, bring and share your opinions and, as Steve Jobs said, be thankful for those who "Think Different."

4  Thank Mark_Kronquist
PAUL V, Owner at Shallon Winery, responded to this reviewResponded February 29, 2012

Thank you. I am overwhelmed by your effusive kind words, but I fear that guests inspired to visit from your comments, will say, “What’s so great about all that?”