“Gracious host, excellent accommodation, great views, good food” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Benjamin Young Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Astoria
Benjamin Young Inn
Ranked #4 of 8 Astoria B&B and Inns
NSW
“Gracious host, excellent accommodation, great views, good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2009

Our first experience of the US and wanted somewhere quiet, yet elegant, which you only find with a B&B. The host was gracious and helpful. The home is fabulous, with it's high ceilings, timber fittings, staircase,and great views over the river. The dining room provides excellent views over breakfast, which was always delightful. We will return there if we go back to Astoria.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KurrajongTravellers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
AUSTIN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2009

My wife and 3 kids (ages 9-13 years old) had a wonderful 2 night stay at the Benjamin Young House. For my kids who are familiar with the sterility of a Holiday Inn, The Benjamin Young was a great adventure. They loved poking around the living room at the various curios and books, playing with the several cats that roamed the house, or even climbing up into the attic area to explore. The smell of fresh bread brought them out of their room and down to the dining room to find a plate of soft, warm sweet rolls to snack on in the afternoon. The breakfasts were terrific and we enjoyed meeting the other travelers and getting tips from Carolyn, the owner, about fun sights to see. From the house, you can easily walk to a pier area where a few sea lions have taken up residence and will bark at you if you disturb their slumber. My sons loved seeing the two tall ships that happened to have docked at the pier that day. There is a small yard at the house and a large field and backstop next to the house where the kids kicked around a soccer ball.

Although there is a trolley stop near the house and we loved riding it as a way to hear the history of the area and see the sights, the trolley is slow and on an inconsistent schedule so not great as a means for efficient transportation.

The only caution I would mention is that given the obvious presence of cats, those travelers with allergies or sensitivities to pets might find another spot. We had an awesome time at the Benjamin Young House and would recommend it to couples and families looking for a great B&B experience.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank ToohottostayinTexas
Bend Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2009

This B&B is a breathtaking step back in time to the romantic Victorian era. We were welcomed on the porch by Carolyn, who shared with us the history of the home and who made us feel like we were in our own home with her hospitality. We stayed in the Lady Ann room and enjoyed a fabulous view of the Columbia River from our hillside perch. The sea lions' barking lulled us to sleep each night. Carolyn provided all kinds of information about Astoria; the restaurants, places to visit, the trolley, and events of the weekend. I have to say that, hands down, her Eggs Benedict is the BEST I've ever had. Breakfast was served in the formal dining room at an intimate table by the window facing the river and we felt like royalty. Altogether, a wonderful experience and we certainly will return! Thank you, Carolyn! Oh, and Minnie, Mo and Gordon, thank you too!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Corning, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2009

It provides a nice home feeling, and it reminds you of simpler times. The breakfast was simple, and decadent. The service was excellent, and I loved the view and the architecture of the house. It is the best B & B I have ever stayed at, and one of the best experiences I have had with my wife, Maya.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2008

We spent 2 nights at the Benjamin Young Inn in Astoria and absolutely adored this place. From the comfortable bed to the unbelievable gourmet breakfast, from the fabulous views to the charming and gracious hostess, this is a winner.
We stayed in the Lady Ann Suite with a view of the river and "The Goonies" house. (Kindergarten Cop was filmed at the school across the street, too!) Our hostess, Carolyn, has kept the Victorian elegance of the home and even bought back some of the original family portraits. All old homes have a story and the history binder was fascinating to read. The new heating system kept the large home cozy and warm, in spite of the November storm.
Breakfasts were extraordinary! Fresh-baked cardamom bread and salmon and cream cheese omelets, one day, and light as a cloud berry pancakes, the next. Fresh fruit and juice, superb coffee and offers of more food made sure our days began just right. There were fresh-baked afternoon treats, as well.
Carolyn had excellent suggestions for dinner restaurants and local activities which made our stay that much better. This website has one unfavorable review, we are so glad it didn't deter us from staying here. Carolyn and her home are truly treasures.

• Liked — The room, the food, and the hostess
  • Disliked — Leaving!
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Oregon USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2008

My hubby whisked me away for a late Valentine's celebration...this was great, because I am almost always the reservation-maker. And he did well! He booked the Wedding Suite at the Benjamin Young Inn (Astoria, Oregon, just under 2 hours from downtown Portland, Oregon).

The historic Victorian was the largest I had ever been in...yet it had only 4 guest rooms (I believe), all on the 2nd floor. The suite we were in was marvelous: we had a table and chairs in the classic Victorian tower, plus plenty of other sitting and luggage space in the rest of the room. The beautiful queen bed had a lace-and-tulle canopy suspended from the ceiling, and was The Most Comfortable Mattress I have ever slept on in a hotel (I am Very Picky due to lower lumbar pain & a slipped disc a couple of years ago).

In the interest of keeping the interior authentic, the bathroom was tucked into a closet and "petite," but not a big deal. Good towels and robes made any inconvenience negligible.

Although the inn faces away from the Columbia River, the tower afforded us water views. But the surprising reminder of how close we were to the water was the seals barking! The first night I couldn't figure out what the noise was...almost unreal...then I remembered the mention of seals in the literature.

And the food! When we arrived, the place smelled of something yummy from the oven, and we were quickly introduced to the plate of homemade cookies, available 24 hours a day! Along with tea, hot chocolate (I can't remember if there was coffee, because I don't drink it). Plus there was a heart-shaped double-chocolate brownie big enough to share (and it's hard for me to share chocolate!) waiting for us on the table in our room. The breakfasts were spectacular...not too large, but with offers for seconds (I really appreciate not feeling guilty for not clearing my plate). Even though the inn was full (we filled the huge dining table), breakfast was prompt and hot and delicious...with all the trimmings (and a view of the river).

I forgot to mention the common rooms...first, I am used to Victorians having a couple of smaller parlors, but this place has one huge, long room with a central fireplace, plenty of reading material, lots of comfy places to sit. Plus there was a separate tv room with a small tv. If I stay there in the summer, I will enjoy the beautiful grounds and porch, but I was busy with other things this time.

I am a cat lover (have 2 right now), and the first morning my husband brought me tea and a 9-month old kitten for my wake-up call. What a charmer...come to find out the inn's owners adopted two strays, plus have a mature cat (which mostly slept, but accepted gentle petting).

I also appreciated the off-street parking, although parking on the street would have been fine in this quiet residential neighborhood. Oh, and there's a microwave and refrigerator in the upstairs hall for all guests to use...a real plus, and not that common in the B&Bs I've been in.

All this after 24 years of marriage. I'm pretty lucky!

• Liked — Ambiance and lots of welcoming features
  • Disliked — Didn't face the river!
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Hillsboro, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2008

A comfortable bed with decent back support, hot & cold running beverages, period elegance updated with modern conveniences, and a friendly kitten made this a very enjoyable stay. We came for a late Valentine's celebration, visiting the waterfront, galleries, and restaurants of Astoria. Getting to the mouth of the Columbia at Ft. Stevens State Park is easy -- pick your view and start taking photos or drawing.

There has obviously been a change in management perspective since the previous review (which I just read). The weather was spring-ish; the heat came on at bed time, and was more than sufficient. Even without, the bedding would have been plenty to keep us warm, without needed the extra blankets in the dresser.

Both breakfasts were plentiful (and altered to dietary requests), with Carolyn attentive to our needs and good company around the table. We got plenty of good advice on local activities, tailored to our various needs.

Our room was a rarity for B&B (and some motels): plenty of space for luggage and moving around. I've been in several places where I had to stuff my suitcase under the bed so I didn't trip over it in the night.

Granted, there are drawbacks. The period furniture in the room is a tad short to be comfortable for an entire evening of lounging (or taking advantage of the wireless Internet) -- my 5'10" is somewhat tall for that day. Lounging chairs are in the common areas downstairs. One electrical circuit handles two bathrooms, and isn't up to both fans *plus* simultaneous hair driers (supplied by the establishment, by the way).

Overall, we found Benjamin Young Inn friendly, well kept, decorated beautifully, and a very pleasant stay. We'll be back.

• Liked — A bed that doesn't hurt my back overnight.
  • Disliked — Small furniture in room -- built for period humans, not today's taller frames.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple