“Great Local History”

and up
Oregon Coast Day Trip: Cannon Beach and Haystack Rock
Ranked #1 of 56 things to do in Astoria
More attraction details
Owner description: A museum celebrating the history of ship travel on the Columbia River.
Reviewed August 3, 2014

This was a well done small museum with a strong local flair, which gives a great overview of the fishing industry in Astoria and the importance of the river & bar pilots that take the freighters from the Pacific down the Columbia River. Worth the price of admission.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,422)

Reviewed August 3, 2014

This museum is small but quite thoughtfully done. I was impressed by the small Japanese fishing boat that had come all the way to Oregon after the Tsunami. The video was very touching. I also really enjoyed the videos about crossing the bar, and the coast guard exhibits. Having the real boats made me appreciate how small those craft are and what the fishermen go through to catch the fish we eat. The displays of artifacts was surprisingly good, and overall, for something I was ready to skip, I was completely glad I went.

Reviewed August 3, 2014

I was a bit nervous taking the family here with kids ages 5-10. But soon I discovered not to worry. The museum was awesome. Interactive displays, movies, etc... The kids and I had a great visit. There is a 3D movie that was sold out so make sure to book ahead. Give yourself plenty of time for inside and outside on the real coastguard boats!

1  Thank Mike S
Reviewed August 2, 2014

We spent slightly over an hour here and it was time well spent. A variety of interesting exhibits concerning the Columbia River, the boats that plied it and the risks involved, along with the salmon industry that evolved here. Lots of interactive exhibits, with interviews to hear. The final exhibit, on Coast Guard rescues was fascinating. Highly recommend.

Reviewed August 2, 2014

We were so happy with the time we had here, but most especially with the retired Coast Guard boat moored in the back. The museum is wonderfully modern, kept-up, and well-designed with lots to learn. Definitely a worthwhile visit to Astoria and the general "Lewis and Clark National Park/Thing" Area. You'll get a lot of history about the Columbia River, especially before that big bridge was built. Really fun.